Daughter | Teen Ink

Daughter

By carolinestarr PLATINUM, Ellicott City, Maryland
carolinestarr PLATINUM, Ellicott City, Maryland

"It's not about who we are, but who we choose to be."

I can hear the man coming towards me, and a chill sends a shiver through all of my bones. I don't dare open my eyes; I would rather live my last moments thinking of good memories instead of staring at the man that will bring me my death. With every footstep, my muscles tense that much more. Tears stream down my already bruised and swollen face.

I wonder if my parents will find me. “I love you. I love you so much, and I don't want to leave you. Please remember me” I think. My parents, my sister, my best friend, my dog. Heck, even my mean English teacher from the seventh grade. I don't want to leave them. I don't want to go. I want nothing more than to hug each one of them and have them tell me that everything will be alright. That I will be alright. That I will live.

He's close to me now. I can feel his breath on my chest. He's whispering words in my ear, but I refuse to let myself listen. The last words I hear will be my own. I feel the cold sensation of metal being against my hand, and then a prick. A knife. He slowly drags the knife from my hand all the way to my neck. I can feel the wet, warm blood oozing down my arm. It stings so much.

He hold the knife there, at my neck, while he whispers some more pointless words. Then, I feel him draw something on my neck with the knife. Letters. I can feel him put his cold, grimy hands on my face. He holds my eyelids open, forcing me to see his face. It is so ugly. He says one last thing before it is over. Before I am existing in the nothingness of death. Before he slits my throat, letting all of my blood seep down my lifeless corpse.

“I never thought I'd see you again, daughter.”