It's Just Acting | Teen Ink

It's Just Acting

July 9, 2011
By Delictious GOLD, Lubbock, Texas
Delictious GOLD, Lubbock, Texas
16 articles 5 photos 151 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I would like to be remembered as a woman who did the best she could with the talent she had."


“Don’t move,” he whispered his voice shaking as he took slow, steady steps forward, “Whatever you do, you better not move.” Wind whipped through his hair, causing the brown strands to flicker in and out of his vision; a crowd had started to form below them, everyone staring up in amazement, eyes wide and mouths hanging down fighting to beat the others to the floor.
“I have to,” she replied just as faintly, “I can’t be here with you; I’m a monster. I can’t put you through this!” He stopped, just a few feet from her, and gazed into her eyes. She looked back, not knowing what she should do now. He was making her confused, should she go on, or go with the man that she loved?
She loved him. It was a new concept to her, nothing that has ever been conceived in the mind of someone like her before, but she knew that this feeling she had going on at that very moment must be it. There was no other explanation to what it could possibly be other than love.
Grabbing for her hand, just as she lunged forward, Isaac swayed on the ledge tittering back and forth from the unforgiving edge. Her hand slipped from his, and she fell down and down towards the shocked crowd below. The wind picked up, whipping through both of the lovers hair, as she lunged towards the hard surface below the building.
Someone screamed while another man started to call 911, but all Isaac could do was stand up there, balancing on the edge of life and death as he saw his true love plunge to her death. He growled like a tiger, low and powerful, before he began to holler at the top of his lungs. He plunged his fist into the hard wall next to him, crumbling of the stone clicking on the ledge where his feet stood. Blood ran down his knuckles, but he did not care, she was dead.
Falling, slowly but deliberately, she could not ever hear herself think. Wind attacked her from all sides, pounding into her frail and pail body, her long, black hair lashing around her, smacking into her face and back. She heard screams, and frantic sounds from below, mingled with a painful moan from above her, growing louder and louder and she fell faster and faster.
Sirens rang out, cars speeding towards the scene, people still frantically running around being of no help at all. A crash of thunder could be heard in the distance, followed by a sudden downpour of hard, droplets of rain. A child began to cry, bolting from his mother arms, as he tripped and landed on the street below, scrapping his knee against the black pavement, now soaked in water and blood.

“Cut!” The words came loud and clear as the wind, water, and screaming came to an abrupt halt. Extras began to mumble with each other, talking about the scene and contemplating whether or not they would have to retake the shot. “Great job, great job,” the director said as he came towards his soaking wet crew members.
Andrew came over, having just been let down from the wooden ledge, and shook the director’s hand. “It was really great to work with you, I had a blast!” he exclaimed, overjoyed with the thought of being back home in the arms of his wife and surrounded by his three loving children.
“Oh, don’t say that. It was wonderful to just even have you even grace us with your presence on the set!” the director said with a sly smile, dreaming of accepting his Oscar for the film, the young man before him standing by his side. This movie was sure to be a success with this well-known actor on it, exactly why he had worked so hard to get Andrew on the film.
Extras scattered away, going off to their own cars and trailers to get dried off seeing that the take would be acceptable. Crew started to clear away big portions of the set, like the building, to make room for the new sets already being wheeled in from the big doors at the back of the warehouse. How they had gotten someone to be able to rig up a system to pour water was beyond most of the actors and actresses, seemed like the movie had not had a great budget to start with, let alone with getting Andrew on the movie.
Suddenly after realizing that she had not come to join them in celebration after her big scene, the director looked around and called, “Has anyone seen Maria? Where’d she go?” The few people left shook their heads, glancing around at each other, mumbling that the last time they had seen her was in the scene, right before she hit the safety mat that was under the building for when she jumped. “Someone find Maria!”
No one knew that she was right behind the big, safety mat, having just missed it by a few inches. Most people deemed it as a terrible accident, maybe the rain or wind having caused the massive mattress to have moved the slightest of bit to the left, but only Maria knew the real reason—She was much too in love with Isaac to put him through the pain and difficulty of loving a creature much like herself.


The author's comments:
I was in Greece when the idea of this story hit me. I love to try and think outside the box when I write, so I try to think that way too. Hopefully, people who read this story sit there and think for a minute.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 17 comments.


on Oct. 9 2011 at 1:38 pm
rage_against_the_machine BRONZE, St. Augustine, Florida
4 articles 7 photos 106 comments

Favorite Quote:
Difficult takes a day. Impossible takes.. oh, about a week?

No problem, I know that's what I would want on my own stories.

on Oct. 8 2011 at 9:53 pm
Delictious GOLD, Lubbock, Texas
16 articles 5 photos 151 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I would like to be remembered as a woman who did the best she could with the talent she had."

Thank you!
And thanks for your criticism, I'll definately take that into account!! :D

on Sep. 5 2011 at 11:27 am
rage_against_the_machine BRONZE, St. Augustine, Florida
4 articles 7 photos 106 comments

Favorite Quote:
Difficult takes a day. Impossible takes.. oh, about a week?

This is interesting, and very unique. I love how you made the reader feel scared and upset at the beginning, just to satiate them with a happy twist, and then to immediately wrench it away with yet another twist. Very dark.

My only qualms with this: in some instances you used the incorrect word (pail vs. pale), and I would have liked more distinction between the thoughts of each person. At the moment, they seem to collide and bump along, when they should flow smoothly into each.


on Aug. 1 2011 at 9:58 am
Delictious GOLD, Lubbock, Texas
16 articles 5 photos 151 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I would like to be remembered as a woman who did the best she could with the talent she had."

Thankk you!

Kailey4 BRONZE said...
on Jul. 22 2011 at 11:24 am
Kailey4 BRONZE, Simpsonville, South Carolina
4 articles 3 photos 54 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Né io pitorre" - Michelangelo

VEEERY nice!!

on Jul. 22 2011 at 10:53 am
Delictious GOLD, Lubbock, Texas
16 articles 5 photos 151 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I would like to be remembered as a woman who did the best she could with the talent she had."

Thankk you veryy much! :D

on Jul. 22 2011 at 7:54 am
billgamesh11 BRONZE, Grafton, Massachusetts
3 articles 0 photos 278 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It's always darkest before the dawn." ~Florence and the Machine

:O that is so sad! I liked it and as you said it wasn't as intense as drip, drip! But you kept the surprises happening, when the whole falling thing was just something that had happened in a movie, and then how Maria actually ended up dying just when I thought she was safe! Excellent job!!! You sure did thrill me!!!:):):)

on Jul. 20 2011 at 9:30 pm
Delictious GOLD, Lubbock, Texas
16 articles 5 photos 151 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I would like to be remembered as a woman who did the best she could with the talent she had."

Thankk you! And I wouldn't know, I've never seen that movie... Too scary for me;)

on Jul. 18 2011 at 10:06 pm
whitstar27 GOLD, Edison, New Jersey
15 articles 0 photos 38 comments

Favorite Quote:
when life gives you lemons, make grape juice. Then step back and let the world wonder how you did it
and
when life gives you lemon, throw them back at life

I like this piece. I liked how there were several twists. It reminds me slightly of the end of the movie Black Swan.

on Jul. 17 2011 at 3:35 pm
Delictious GOLD, Lubbock, Texas
16 articles 5 photos 151 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I would like to be remembered as a woman who did the best she could with the talent she had."

Thank you so much! :D

on Jul. 17 2011 at 3:33 pm
TheSilverLaurel GOLD, Goole, Other
13 articles 0 photos 70 comments
this is brilliant, slightly predictable, but you still made the ending a shock. it's really descriptive and emotional, 5 stars

on Jul. 15 2011 at 8:15 pm
Delictious GOLD, Lubbock, Texas
16 articles 5 photos 151 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I would like to be remembered as a woman who did the best she could with the talent she had."

Thank you! And that is creepy weird... The edited version is much like this one, just fixed(: 

on Jul. 15 2011 at 8:07 pm
Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other
31 articles 6 photos 577 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Everything's a triangle." ~ My mother

"Write what you love, write what you care about, because sometimes, it's the easiest way to be heard."

I actually really, really love this. And I also wanted to say that I've heard of something like this happening (my choir teacher went to an opera and the actress fell to her death, but nobody knew until after the show). Anyway, I still really love this, and the ending sent chills down my back. So great job, and I can't wait to see the edited version! :)

on Jul. 14 2011 at 7:38 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
12 articles 10 photos 1646 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Okay, that's what I thought.  I just got back from a long day at work and my brain is only functioning at half capacity.

on Jul. 14 2011 at 7:37 pm
Delictious GOLD, Lubbock, Texas
16 articles 5 photos 151 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I would like to be remembered as a woman who did the best she could with the talent she had."

I've already submitted the new, edited verson! 
Thank you! Yeah, it's fixed in the edited one(: Thanks for the advice though!
And yes, she kind of went insane and got WAY into the role and believed it was actually happening to her, so she killed her, like she was scripted to do in the movie.

on Jul. 14 2011 at 7:30 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
12 articles 10 photos 1646 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

As you said, I'll kindly ignore the spelling and grammar mistakes.  But you should really delete this and resubmit the edited version.

Anyway, this is a good story.  Just remember that dialogue should go on a separate line to avoid confusion. 

Your ending is kind of confusing.  Was Maria mentally ill and believed Andrew was Isaac and that the film was real?  Or is it something else?


on Jul. 14 2011 at 5:57 pm
Delictious GOLD, Lubbock, Texas
16 articles 5 photos 151 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I would like to be remembered as a woman who did the best she could with the talent she had."

Sorry for the spelling/grammar mistakes. I posted the first draft instead of the edited copy on here. If you could just excuse that and read the story for the story itself, it would be greatly appreciated! :D