Long Wait | Teen Ink

Long Wait

By kystephens24 BRONZE, Salem, Missouri
kystephens24 BRONZE, Salem, Missouri

I'm Melanie and right now I'm sitting in the back of a cop car. Why? Well let me give you the rundown. Four months earlier.
“Hey Max what's been going on.”
“Well we got a new ford in today.”
I turned towards him. I guess I didn't do too well hiding the look on my face.
“I know you hate when I don't have any history on the rides that come in but don't give
me that look.”
Most of what he said went through one ear and out the other. The only thing that matters about the truck is the color. Before I can even think, I find myself frantically asking for the color. I'm starting to sweat at this point.
“It's black Mel.”
“Black….”
My chest tightens, it can't be true. This couldn't possibly be the same truck.
“I guess they found it in the lake.”
It was the same truck!
“Say weren't you over at the lake over the weekend? Did you see anything?” “Me? No, I
didn't see anything.”
I always hate lying to Max. I grew up with him. He's like a little brother. But I need to protect him from this. But the truth is I was a witness to this murder.
You might need some insight into my past here in this small town. This is the type of place where everyone knows everyone and their business. Which makes it hard to just be with someone. Like me and Samuel Smith. My childhood sweetheart. This is a classic story where he ends up with the person I hate the most. Allison Dowery. I grew up with her best friends when we were children and… her brother Lucas. Which brings us back to now.
“Hey Mel, the cops are here to talk about that truck we got this morning.”
“I..I'm coming.”
Okay just keep a brave face Mel you can do this. I walk around the corner to see Max standing with two police officers.
“Hello officers.”
“Hey Mel, no need to act so formal with us. We just came to tell you that Lucas was in
that truck. I'm sorry Mel, I know you grew up together.”
“It's fine, I think I just need some time to process.”
They then walk over to the truck to continue to look it over. They aren't going to find anything I already dealt with the evidence.
Few nights later Samuel asked me to meet with him and have dinner since Allison is staying with her mom. I think I'm going to lay it on thick. I want him and this might just be my chance. Before I had that little encounter with Lucas I had heard they were not doing well. Something about another man. So I knew it was time to take Lucas out. So now I'm putting on a little black dress and my perfect red lip along with red bottom heels and I'm ready to go. He pulls up at 8 on the dot. He has always been one for being punctual. Another thing I find attractive. Anytime I have ever needed something he has made sure to help me. He is dependable and compassionate.
I get in his car. He keeps it so clean it has always had that new car smell. Along with that I can smell his musky cologne. The same one he has always worn since our junior year. It mixed with his natural scent is overwhelming. His hair is perfectly combed over. Still somewhat wet. The dark hair brings out his beautiful light blue eyes. Which I always get lost looking into. It is very obvious that he has taken his time getting ready. Which gives me some hope that tonight ends just the way I want it to. We get to a nicer bar which also has wines and an Italian restaurant. We went there after I got dumped at prom. Only difference is now we can drink which I'm counting on.
“So it's been a bit huh? How have you been, Mel?” “Actually, I can't really complain.
I've missed you though.”
“Aw Mel, I've missed you so much too.”
He then pulls me in close with a tight embrace. I don't want to let go. He pulls away and we both have a glass of wine. I bring a photo of us when we were younger and while he is looking at it I slip a few sleeping pills in his drink. We finish our drinks and our meals come out. He has gotten pasta soup. While I got chicken with pasta and meat sauce.
We get halfway through the meal when Samuel has me take his keys and drive him home. I'm not taking him home well, not to his home. To mine.
“Where are we going Mel?”
“Back to my place, silly.”
“Are you sure that's a good idea Alliso-”
“I DON'T CARE ABOUT ALLISON IT'S YOU AND ME NOW SAM FORGET
ABOUT HER.”
After my snap I pull over to talk to Sam. His eyes are filled with fear and he looks as if he might cry.
“Don't be scared Sam. It's going to be just us and I promise everything will be the same as it was before her.”
“Mel, have you lost your mind? Wait, what did you give me?”
I can hear him get more concerned with every word that leaves his mouth.
“Just a few sleeping pills, you should pass out soon but i'll take care of you. I
already have a room made just for you.”
As soon as I finish my sentence he falls asleep. I drove us to my house and set him up in his room. I put his leftovers in the refrigerator for lunch tomorrow. I know he's going to be hungry after such a deep long sleep. Then we can get onto all the fun things. I walk back into the room I made and sit next to him.
“At last, love”

I wrote this for my English class and I wanted more people to be able to read it.