Murder Friends | Teen Ink

Murder Friends

By BananaN3rd ELITE, Clarksville, Tennessee
BananaN3rd ELITE, Clarksville, Tennessee

If the pen is stronger than the sword, what am I supposed to do when the pen declares a war?

Eliza disappeared just two days ago. That’s the news that my sister woke me up with. She’s pacing back and forth from one end of the room to the other, her frazzled hair flowing behind as if underwater.

“First Amy, then Lily, then Cristy! And now Eliza?” Emma exclaimed, tears beginning to flow down her pale face. “All of our friends are disappearing! What if we’re next?” She says, now squeezing the life out of a small stuffed parrot. “I just called Isabella. She now doesn’t even want to meet at the mall!”

I hold up my hand, slightly agitated. “We’re fine, Em. I apparently look too scary to kill, according to Eliza.” I pause. “Sorry, Em. Didn’t mean-”

But she was already sobbing again. “We’re gonna be next! The killer’s probably right outside, waiting for us to-”

“Will you please just shut up? We’re going to be fine, alright? I’m your big sister, and I’m not going to let anyone hurt my little sister. I’ll kill them if I have to. Don’t try me. I know how to shoot a gun.”

“You’re not making me feel any better.”

“I know. But it’s true.”

She groans and goes into the kitchen, and moments later, I can hear two bags of Pop-Tarts being opened. “Jenny? Why is everyone we love dying? What have we done?” 

I look away, my face darkening. “Can we . . . can we not? Let’s just go to the library after breakfast. I’m sure Isabella will be happy meeting us there, alright?”

An hour later, Emma and I were waiting outside of the library for Isabella. I didn’t even want to be out here, but Emma insisted upon waiting outside. I readjusted my hat and watched as Isabella pulled up a moment later in her truck.

She came out with a nervous smile, eyes flickering between my sister and I. She had never quite warmed up to me like she did my sister, but maybe it was because she knew that I could see through her disguise.

Isabella, like all of my other friends, had used my younger sister to get what they wanted, putting her in harm’s way multiple times. It saddened me to my core, but if Emma wanted to continue seeing them, who was I to stop her?

Emma and Isabella left the library joking and smiling. I was still anxious for what was about to happen. I didn’t want to go home just yet. I liked it here. “Hold on, I forgot my bag.”

“Let me come with you!” Isabella said. Perfect. “Just in case there’s a killer in there.” She laughs nervously as we go back inside the building.

I grab my bag, spinning around and slashing Isabella’s throat open. “You’re right. Just in case there’s a killer here, I don’t want you getting hurt. I want you to be dead.”