The Dark Witch | Teen Ink

The Dark Witch

By AlexaLexi PLATINUM, Mattawan, Michigan
AlexaLexi PLATINUM, Mattawan, Michigan

'That was the worst movie ever!' shouted Walter, as they walked out of the movie theater on the night before Halloween.

'Ya I know, especially the warning at the end.' added Meg.

'Beware of the Dark Witch, for she does not take kindly to nonbelievers!' Walter mocked. They laughed as they entered the woods that they had to go through to get home. The woods were dark and spooky, shadows followed them and a great horned owl hooted as it took off for its night hunt. There were huge, ancient trees everywhere. Some were dead and hollow and looked like the perfect place for a ghost. All of the sudden, the whole forest went silent and they stopped walking.
'Weird, you can usually hear the crickets at this time of night.' Walter thought out loud.

They looked up at the stars but there weren't any. 'What's going on?' Meg said, starting to get scared. They heard a whooshing noise and turned around. There was a monster sized ball of flame hurtling straight towards them! They could see the white and blue of the hottest fire right through the red and orange of the cooler flames on the outside. As it came closer, they could feel the heat crash into them like a wall. It came closer still, and they saw something in the middle of the blue and white fire. It was a human outline, a woman because of the long hair. She looked slightly familiar to Meg but she couldn't remember where from. They ran into the woods and looked back, the ball was following them, yet it wasn't burning anything.

Walter shouted, 'The lake is around here somewhere!'
They turned the corner and there it was. Yelling, they ran towards it and jumped in. When they took their heads out of the water, the ball of fire was gone, but the woman was still there. She had a black silk hat on top of long black hair. She had a matching, black, long robe and small silk shoes. She had a thin, pale face and very dark eyes.

'I am the Dark Witch!' she screamed 'And you are nonbelievers.' Meg remembered why she had looked familiar. She was the witch from the movie they had seen. The witch started to walk towards them.

'Walter, swim!' Meg yelled. So they swam and swam, not looking back. When they got to the other bank, the witch was nowhere to be found. Meg thought back to the movie. Whenever the people the witch was chasing thought they were safe, they were actually in danger.
'We better keep moving.'
No answer.
'Walter?'
No answer.
'Walter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'
No answer.
'Oh no, she got him!' Meg cried.
As she sat there, crying, she heard a rustle in the bushes. She looked up and there was Walter. 'Walter Andrew Smith! You scared me to death, where have you been?!?'

'Sorry 'mom',' he joked with Meg, 'I had to go to the bathroom.' he said, laughing.

'Whatever,' she said. 'Okay, so in the movie the only way to defeat the witch is to burn her at the stake, but dad probably wouldn't let us pull that off. What else do you think will stop her?'
No answer.
'Not funny!'
No answer.
'Walter?'
'Walter's gone now!' came the witch's voice from up in the trees.

'Nooooooo!' Meg cried. The last thing she saw was the witch's face, smiling.

Ding ding ding ding! Meg woke up sweating.
'Wake up Meg!' Walter shouted from his room. Meg thought, oh, thank goodness, it was just a dream.

Desanyx SILVER said...
Desanyx SILVER, Westfield, New Jersey

The imagination is man's power over nature. -Wallace Stevens

Ending stories by way of a dream just shows that you couldn't think of a better ending.