Transference | Teen Ink

Transference

By BananaN3rd ELITE, Clarksville, Tennessee
BananaN3rd ELITE, Clarksville, Tennessee

If the pen is stronger than the sword, what am I supposed to do when the pen declares a war?

In the middle of a clean and tidy white room, stood a doctor. He wore a clean white lab coat and held a few sheets of paper, scanning through them as he started to pace. He’d spent so long studying and researching about this. It just had to work.

He turned back around, tears beginning to brim. His beloved wife had passed away, but no one yet knew other than him. He couldn’t lose her after everything they’d been through. He turned away quickly, forcing his eyes closed.

Beside his wife lay another woman. A woman dressed in the finest of his wife’s clothes. A woman that looked exactly like his wife.

All the doctor had to do was a small little experiment. He readjusted the collar of his coat as he walked toward the other woman. She disgusted him in all ways and for a brief moment, he regretted putting his wife’s clothes on her. The woman had been part of a huge cover up scheme for the government a few years ago, but now he could get revenge on her and get his wife back.

While still asleep, the doctor put several metal pieces and cords around both his wife and the woman, making sure not to touch them with any part of his skin. Even the slightest mistake could have severe consequences, as he’d found out the last time he’d attempted this.

He lit several candles around both women, walking around while carrying an incense stick. Even though he wasn’t religious, he knew that some rituals were needed to make science happen properly.

The woman groaned as she woke up, annoying the doctor. “Wait . . . what are you doing?” He heard the woman ask, struggling to get out of her restraints. He looked at her with an icy glare, silencing her.

He lit several more candles, placing them in a circle which surrounded the women. He smiled more and more as he placed each candle, eventually starting to laugh. This was going to be perfect, and nothing could stop him now. He turned off the lights.

“Please . . . I’ll do anything! Please don’t hurt me!” The woman cried as she struggled more and more, causing the metal bed to wobble ever so slightly. Tears rolled down her face, glinting in the candlelight.

He couldn’t show any more mercy to people like her. He’d suffered the last time he’d tried to do something nice for someone else, but now . . . now he wouldn’t have to worry about what other people saw him as. Nice . . . or not so nice.

The woman screamed and thrashed as the doctor bent down to light the final candle. “Let me go!” The doctor smiled as he lit a match. Everything was going to be just fine. “Please just-”

The final candle was lit. The doctor stood up and watched as the ritual commenced. Finally . . . he and his wife could be together again . . . all he needed to do was transfer her consciousness to the other woman . . . and everything would be fine . . .