Wrong House | Teen Ink

Wrong House

July 1, 2023
By BananaN3rd ELITE, Clarksville, Tennessee
BananaN3rd ELITE, Clarksville, Tennessee
108 articles 9 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
If the pen is stronger than the sword, what am I supposed to do when the pen declares a war?


Silas grabbed the duffel bag from the back seat, tossing it over his shoulder. His partner in crime, Justin, was also grabbing large bags and slinging them over his shoulder.

“Dude. I haven’t seen anyone enter or leave this place in weeks. It’ll be a robber’s dream come true!” Silas said with a grin on his face.

Justin snickered. “Yeah, man. We’re gonna be rich after we ransack this place.” They both laughed as they each grabbed a crowbar. “I take downstairs, you take upstairs?”

“Yep. That’s the way to do it. We each have two bags. That should definitely be enough to keep us afloat for the next few months. But it never hurts to take another paycheck every now and then.” He smiled as the two approached the door, prying it off its hinges with the crowbar. “Aight. You stay down, I stay up. Got it?”

“Got it.” Justin replied, grinning as he looked around. There were so many goodies sprinkled around this place. It even looked as if there was an ornate spoon collection. That was likely their big breadwinner of the night.

Justin bagged the spoons, along with seral fancy-looking plates and cups, rifling through the drawers and cupboards, eventually opening the fridge for a quick snack. People always left the best goodies in the fridge. Instead of food like he’d been hoping, there was an uncanny amount of sleeping pills stashed all around the fridge. Yum. My favorite. He thought bitterly as he slammed the fridge closed.

“Justin!” Silas yelled from upstairs. “Leave your bag. You need to come and take a look at this!” Justin dropped his bag as he flew up the steps, where Silas stood with widened eyes. “I think I figured out why no one’s been coming here for the past few weeks.

Justin pushed open the door that Silas had been standing by, the smell alone making him sick. Inside, the mutilated bodies of several people laid on the wooden floor. Red stained what seemed to be pristine floors, making them look a muddled shade of orange.

He slammed the door back shut, gagging. “Dude, let’s just get the heck out of here. We’ll find another house to hit later.” Justin said, and Silas wearily nodded.

“Yeah. Aight. Let’s just go.” Silas said, hand still covering his mouth. The sound of footsteps could be heard from the room next to them.

“It’s rude to break into people’s personal space. Don’t you know that?” A cold voice said from behind them. They turned around to see a bloody man with stained clothes and a smeared face.

They both screamed, running for the door. Even though he’d pried it open earlier, Silas couldn’t get the door to open back up. The last thing both of them heard was the sound of laughter.