I know | Teen Ink

I know

I know. I always know. You don’t need to remind me because I already knew that. I knew that was going to happen. Of course I did. These are the thoughts that run through my head all day, every day. Right now as dad is trying to explain to me the functions of math, all I can think is I already knew that. Please tell me something I don’t know. I can tell by those wrinkles between his eyebrows that he knows exactly what I’m thinking right now. And I really don’t think its any surprise to him. At least it shouldn’t be.
Not again. Oh no there my dad goes once more yelling about all the things I do wrong. He is trying to tell me that I am wrong, and I don’t know what life is going to throw at me next. But man is he wrong. I am right. I do know what’s coming next. The next thing that will happen is, he will simply get sick of calling me stupid, and arguing with me. So he will take a glass out of the kitchen fill all up with milk and go for a “walk” Ever since my mom left he has been doing a lot of ‘walking’. Was I right. Well yes he is on his way to the kitchen right now and the next thing you know he is running out the door. I knew what was coming.
I decide I’m not going to focus on this negative stuff, so I turn the computer on in hopes that at least one of my friends is on. Maybe I should use the laptop, but I’m too lazy to go down stairs. So I guess imp left with this slow one. My slow slow computer. Its one of those old ones. The kind of computer that looks more like a giant box more than anything, and was manufactured like 35 years ago. Yah. My whole house is like the computer. Old, run down, and extremely old fashioned. The trim around our one story house is half falling off, and I have no idea what color it is. All I know is that when we first moved here it was white. Now it’s more like a gray and light brown. And I don’t know what to think of the old bricks that are crumbling away. Let’s just say it’s not my idea of a dream house.
As I am about to send my millionth instant message, the lovely computer shuts down completely. All the power in the house just turns off. At first I didn’t realize what had really happened. But as always I knew what to do next. I walked around my dark house at night feeling my way down the stairs to the den. I knew that my dad always kept his laptop on the den table. I could just sit myself on the floor next to the phone incase my dad decided to call. And in a few minutes I was back to the conversation I left off at. No power outage was going to keep me away. Ill admit though it was a little creepy sitting in a pitch black room not being able to see what was behind me or next to me. The only thing I could see was the lit up screen of the computer. I kept the phone on the floor next to me, but I don’t know why I wouldn’t be able to use it even if I wanted to. The powers out.
The phone rings. That’s weird. I grap my old phone that only grandmas own, and well my dad. This phone still has the big dial and everything. I tried explaining to my dad that if a crazy raging burglar breaks down the door and is chasing me with an axe, that I defiantly do not have time to bring the dial all the way to the 9….wait 3 seconds then go for the one. I would be dead by the time the 9 got back. I’m hesitant to answer it because I still haven’t figured out how this old thing can be possibly ringing. I answer the phone, it sounds like an old man. “Hello.” I’m completely sarcastic. “Hello? Are you alone?” the voice asks. Okay. Regular prankster. This wasn’t the first time someone has called telling me this same old stuff. I know how to deal with this. “Yes I am alone. So what do you want now?” There is a short pause. “I want you, to tell me, what happens next.” This is bugging me.
this idiot calls me and all I want to do is talk to my friends. I don’t have time for this. “You are the one who called me, so you tell me.” I don’t hear anything on the other line. “Get a life. GET A LIFE and stop bugging me!” I scream into the phone as I bring it down hard on the receiver.
I return to my computer. Imp still a little bit confused but I don’t have time to worry about non important things. A few minutes pass and the phone rings again. This time I don’t say anything. I just answer. “ I’m coming for you. Get ready. You never know what will happen next so you can’t prepare for it. You don’t know, but I do. I know were you are and I know what your doing.” Psh. This guys a dud. Like I have never played this game before. Ever prank caller goes through the similar lines. “Oh yah if you know then, were am I? What am I doing?” like he is going to answer that. The voice answers in a deep evil tone. ‘ You young lady are in your old house, sitting in the middle of the room, your head against the wall, looking at your computer, talking to me.” My hands get all sweaty, because that’s exactly what I’m doing. And what scares me the most is that there are no windows in this room that used to be a basement. Only a door. I don’t know what to do with myself. I’m frozen. The only way a person would know what I’m doing is if they are in that doorway staring at me. I feel panic rise over me when I realize the only way out of the room is out that door way. No other way out. I can’t escape. My heart beat is throbbing in my head. I throw the phone down. I’m too scared to move or look. Ill admit now.
I slowly turn my laptop in the direction of the doorway to see what is there. I can see the light from the laptop slowly make its way across the wall on its way to the door. I release all tension when I see that there is nothing in the door way. Just a hall. “I’m okay,” I just keep saying to myself. There is nothing there. It was just a prank call. That’s all it was, nothing more. Then I feel it. The warm breath on my neck. The breath, warm breath that sends cold shocks down my back. I tense all over. The evil voice speaks again. “You thought I was in the doorway…didn’t you? Well I’m not. I never was. You must be so frightened not knowing. Not knowing were I am right now or were I’ll jump out of. You may think I’m behind you, and well I might be. You never know, you never did. ” The warm breath on my neck turned ice cold like the shivers up and down my spine. I couldn’t believe it. my body felt so exposed I wanted to run into a corner but I was too shocked to move. I jumped when the voice spoke again. I couldn’t tell were it was coming from. “Remember when you told me to get a life? Do you? Well now I’ m going to get yours and there is nothing you can do about it. “ I knew what was going to happen, and for the first time in my life I wish I didn’t.

anya02 BRONZE said...
anya02 BRONZE, Reading, Other
Love this story

Real1 BRONZE said...
Real1 BRONZE, Burlington, New Jersey
The details are awesome and on point! It keeps you wanting to read more!

AndriaGromley SILVER, Hillsdale, Pennsylvania

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn’t there
He wasn’t there again today
I wish, I wish he’d go away...

Very cool! Every detail is amaizing

Actresspoet123, Anchorage, Alaska
that is AWESOME!!! It's like some kind of horror story. A really discriptive and chills-down-your-spine story! Although perhaps you can write about what happens next...