Here We Go Again… | Teen Ink

Here We Go Again…

August 13, 2022
By Bumble_Bee PLATINUM, New Athens, Illinois
Bumble_Bee PLATINUM, New Athens, Illinois
38 articles 2 photos 123 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You will be found" -Dear Evan Hansen


As I walked toward the biggest house in our town, anticipation and excitement filled my head, making me unaware of what I was getting myself into. The longing of the endless possibilities filled my heart, as I walked up toward the porch. I could practically smell the candy from here.

 “I’m not sure about this…” I heard behind me. 

I turned, noticing my friend dressed head to toe in a sheet with two little holes cut out for eyes; this was their last minute costume we hurriedly made, so they could join me on my trick-or-treat adventure.

 “It’ll be fine,” I promised, trying to sound nonchalant.

“I hope so..,” they said, following behind me.

I was filled with hopefulness, thinking that we could say we were the first kids to ever approach the house. Nobody ever sees the owners of the house, but every year they decorate for Halloween. Fake spider webs on the freshly cut hedges; “DO NOT ENTER” police tape around the tall, strong pillars of the house; handprints scattered across on the windows in fake blood; carved jack-o-lanterns; and the best part in my opinion, the giant spider that laid on the roof. These people obviously go all out for halloween, and since they are totally rich, it makes them a good candidate to give out full-sized candy bars. The only problem was that nobody would ever approach the old, isolated home. 

Many told stories about the house, and as my hand reached for the doorbell, these filled my head. 

Ding Dong. Ding Dong

The doorbell chimed as my friend hid behind me. My head was instantly filled with fear; this was a new feeling. I felt scared, alone, and frightened. Nobody answered. I sighed, trying to be confident and brave for my friend. So I rang the doorbell agaig; my hand shaking. 

DING DONG. DING DONG.

 The doorbell felt louder, although I knew this wasn’t the case. At this point I forgot where 

my friend was; for I was too frightened to notice.

I then heard footsteps coming from inside the house. 

THOMP, CREEEEEK, THOMP, CREEEEEEK, THOMP.

 The footsteps, combined with the creaky floorboards, sent a chill up my spine. 

 “Maybe we should leave..,” my friend somehow managed to suggest.

 I was frozen with fear. Suddenly, the door swung open. I gasped. 

Nobody was there.

 It started raining, as if at that very moment, the universe really wanted to laugh at us. 

PITTER PATTER! PITTER PATTER!

 I heard bounce off the roof of the porch. Even the rain, which I once thought as comforting and soothing, scared me. My mind raced, jumping to so many conclusions. It felt like my brain was spiraling out of control. 

The next thing I knew, lightning striked. 

POW. POW. 

My friend grabbed me by the arm, and told me:

“RUN!”

 We ran as fast as we could. The door was still swung wide open. 

Was it a ghost?, I thought to myself, or perhaps the wind?

 It was so confusing. The lightning shot right out of the sky so fast, it felt like Zeus himself was throwing it at us. We ran until we couldn’t anymore, eventually stopping at a lamppost...

I awake in a cold sweat. I look around, trying to regulate my breathing. 

“Just a dream.” 

 KNOCK. KNOCK.

 I hear at my door. Suddenly, a shadowy figure walks in. I examine it, grab my flashlight from under my bed, and shine it at the figure. Fear fills my head. I shake. 

“Here we go again…”


The author's comments:

Wrote this Freshman year and decided to post it here! Figured it was appropriate for October coming up soon! :DD