Squirell Boy | Teen Ink

Squirell Boy

By Callum_G. BRONZE, Atascadero, California
Callum_G. BRONZE, Atascadero, California

Once upon a time, in a magical forest, there was a teenaged squirrel named Sammy who lived in a grand castle, with massive spiraling towers and huge gates that swung out to accept other royalty into the castle. It was once a place of light and happiness, but it had since turned into a place of darkness and despair. Five years before this story takes place, Sammy’s father died of a terrible disease that wiped out many animals in the forest. Sammy’s mother was in despair, and quickly found a new husband in an attempt to fill the gap in her heart. Her new husband, Bobby, was a rich squirrel, one who was born in a royal family, and knew no other life. He appeared to be a nice, lovable person on the outside, but he was a bitter, hateful person on the inside. Slowly, he began to take over the daily life in the castle. Less and less parties were thrown, he fired some of the most beloved workers in the castle. Sammy’s mother was not aware that all of this was happening because she was so desperate for love. Eventually, all socializing that happened in the castle came to a stop. Nobody went into the castle, and very few went out. Most of the people who did leave did not want to leave. They despised Sammy’s step father, and could stand him no more. They left the castle out of pure hatred for what the place had become. Sammy also despised Bobby, because he never let Sammy have any fun. Everything was serious. Even Sammy’s favorite games, like tag became boring. Bobby demanded that they run only on the grass, and if they even breathed on the stone walkway that surrounded the castle’s inner courtyard, he would hit them with a whip three times as punishment. Sammy was in misery.
His only happiness were his daily walks through the castle’s garden. He would talk to the birds everyday, sometimes for hours. The ants were also great company, but he had to listen very hard to hear them, as they were so quiet. THey told him about their lives, the good parts and the bad parts. Sammy listened intently, for he liked to imagine that he could live their lives. They were allowed to walk wherever they wanted without getting punished. They were allowed to have fun without somebody constantly watching them. They were free, and Sammy wanted freedom so very badly.
One day, Sammy was taking his daily walk through the garden when he spotted a ragged looking squirrel curled up inside a bush. He slowly walked over to the squirrel and poked it with his finger.
“You okay there?” Sammy asked, moving the leaves of the bush aside to get a better view of the squirrel. It had bumps and bruises all over its body, and looked starving.
“I need water,” The squirrel croaked, as it unraveled its tail from beneath it.
Sammy opened his water flask and handed it to the poor squirrel, who drank it all quickly.
“Thank you,” It said, handing the flask back to him.
“Do you want to come into the castle with me?”
“Will your step father let me?”
Sammy knew that nobody was allowed into the castle, but he also knew that he couldn’t just leave this poor squirrel out here to die.
“He won’t mind,” Sammy said finally.

Sammy led the squirrel throughout the halls of the castle until he arrived at his room. He opened the door and beckoned the other squirrel in. He walked over to the closet and pulled out a foldable mattress and laid it out on the ground, and pulled spare sheets from the linen closet to make it with. Suddenly, Sammy heard footsteps coming from down the hallway.
“Quick, get in the closet!” Sammy whispered pushing the squirrel toward the open closet doors. The squirrel shuffled in, and Sammy closed the doors. Just in time, too. Bobby walked in and frowned at the mattress on the ground.
“What is this for?” He demanded.
“I uhhhh, I just was having my imaginary friend over to have a sleep over!” Sammy exclaimed, pretending to look happy. He doubt Bobby would buy the lie. Sammy was 14, there is no reason why he should still have an imaginary friend.
“Sammy, that is childish. I want this cleaned up at once.” He pulled out the whip that he stowed in the puch on his waist, and unraveled it.
“Bobby, please. I’ll get it cleaned right up.” Sammy pleaded.
“An act of such childishness cannot go unpunished.”
He pulled the whip back, ready to strike. Suddenly, the squirrel in the closet jumped out, and tackled Bobby, pulling the whip out of his hands. In an amazing show of magic, the squirrel turned into a wizard squirrel, the most highly respected position a squirrel can hold. Bobby was taken aback.
“I… I… I’m so sorry Mr. Magician Squirrel…” He stuttered, cowering into a corner.
“This act of cruelty cannot go unpunished, Bobby,” The Magician Squirrel said, flicking his wrist at Bobby, turning him into an ugly toad. He picked him up and tucked him into his pocket.
“Thank you for being such a kind person, Sammy,” The Magician Squirrel said, shaking Bobby’s hand.
“I never knew I was helping a Magician Squirrel,” Sammy said, amazed at who was standing before him.
“That is the point, Sammy. You helped somebody that you thought could offer nothing to you. Character is defined by how you treat people who can do nothing for you. Good character is something that will take you to great places, Sammy.”

And with that, the Magician Squirrel disappeared in a cloud of dust, leaving the Castle to be ran by Sammy and his Mother, now free of the evil Bobby. And everyone lived happily ever after. The end.

This is supposed to be a story for kids or something. I just wrote it in my free time and I thought it was pretty funny.