The Obans | Teen Ink

The Obans

May 31, 2016
By Sydd47 BRONZE, Charlotte , North Carolina
Sydd47 BRONZE, Charlotte , North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I open my eyes and find myself lying on the soil of what I believe is called earth. The earth sun is bright and blinding, I squint heavily and focus on the shadows above me. Humans. There are many gathered around me, they lift your spirits in a burned boy with dark hair tells me to stand. I push off the ground and lift myself up.
"Check her neck" the burn boy says quickly.


A girl with hair the color fire comes up from behind me and Lifts my hair with the blade. She runs the tip of the blade on the side of my neck, I breathe heavily and my pulse races.


“She’s clear she's one of us she was scared” she says with the biggest smile I've ever seen.


She grabs my hand and tells me that I'm safe now, I'm back home, away from the whispers. I assume that's what the humans call them although they are actually called Obans.


Obans are what humans would call an alien. It's hard to explain but they look just like us and live in a world similar but opposite to earth and live a world similar but opposite to the earth, a parallel universe. The difference is that opens don't eat food like humans, they feed off the essence of humans.


The people hiding in the woods are here because they escaped through a portal like hole, it's like a gap between universes.It only appears once every ten years. These people were stolen by the Obans because they were orphans, this way no one would look for them.


CORALINE


"What's your name? I'm Samantha and this is Ethan!" She points to the burn boy. The Obans never gave me a name, there kind don't have names. I think back to my moms name coraline.


" Uh It's Coraline."


"Cool let's go back to the house and you can clean up."
"OK. Cool." I don't know what cool means but I use it anyway to fit in.


I follow them through the woods until we reach an old abandoned building their home. Samantha grabbed me and pulled me inside. She leads me up the steps and brings me into her room. "There's no other rooms so we can share it, there's a bed over there you can use it, and please go take a shower you must be miserable. Oh and here are some clothes."  She hands me a shirt and pants. I think her for her kindness and go to the bathroom to bathe.


I get out and look into the shiny piece of wall, I've never seen myself before. My face is pale in my hair the color of Moon, Eileen and further and look at my eyes they are large and green. I stare at my face for a few minutes fascinated by myself, and then slip on the clothes that Samantha had given me.
I walk out of the bathroom and make my way downstairs where everyone was seated and eating. I sit down at the table with them and do younger boy passes a plate to me


"I'm Gus, this play is for you, it's not much, but we do our best, here take my break." He holds out his Bread and I take it.


"So how did you get out I thought the hole was close?"


"I must have squeezed through and gone and conscious." I couldn't tell them the truth. They wouldn't believe me if I told him that I ran through the glass.


"Good thing we found you, you could have just starved and died. "


Ethan stands up and speaks. "We are glad we found you quite a line, we don't know how you made it but we're all family now and you can trust us, you are one of us. "Everyone claps and stares at me. I feel awkward.


Samantha and I say goodnight and go to sleep. It was a close call today, I'm lucky they believe my story.
No one can know about the glass!


THE GLASS


My birth was impossible, theoretically.


Obans in humans can't have offspring, not until me. My father, and open, I knew what I was and knew it had to be hidden, meeting with the human was for bidden and having a hybrid offspring, well that was unheard of. Since I was half open I was able to survive. no one knew about me. But as I grew older and my human essence became strong, I had emotions, and felt pain. Obans don't feel these things as strongly as humans, that's why they had to take the essence from humans.


I was able to hide my humanity for a while, but not forever.


When they found out the oldest of the opens took me from my father and tested me, trying to find out what was wrong with me. They tested me over and over until they found out about my mixed blood. Once they knew they try to strip away my essence, but it didn't work.


Their final plan was to kill me, I was a threat to them, I was in pure and couldn't be cured. I escaped from their loud and release the humans, Ethan, Samantha, Gus and all the others. They found a hole and escaped, but by the time I made it, the whole had closed in the opens for coming for me. Either I could be killed by them or I could run through the glass: The barrier between their universe and earth's. The truth is that I was a gift, a dangerous gift. Obans and humans had tried to cross the class before, but they all died as soon as they touch the barrier. I was supposed to die. Now I'm here on earth, and the Obans saw me pass, they know they need me now, my blood is the key to passing through the universes.


I just hope there are no Obans here, on earth.


The author's comments:

Alien/Human teen escapes into earth.