A bat and sparrow story | Teen Ink

A bat and sparrow story

January 26, 2016
By Anonymous

Once upon a time, big flock of bats was living in a dark and foul cave where there was no sunlight coming through. One of the bats in the flock somehow had instinctive ambition in his deep mind. He wanted to live outside the cave. He didn’t like to live in place where everyday was same as the others. One day, he decided to leave the cave, and live like other animals. “I want to live outside the cave” Young bat said. “I want to see light. I want to eat something fruity. I want to wake up every morning with beautiful euphony that sparrows sing. I want to be like them.” There was long silence. Old patriarch of bats walked forward with cane from group of bats who were keeping silence and started to talk with tremor in his lips and his thin legs. “You are a bat. You live where you belong to. Place where bats belong to is a cave. We eat what we belong to. Foods we belong to are c***roaches and insect. Only few bats are adapted to eat fruits. They wake up while you are in sleep, and they sleep when you are awake. You cannot be one of those who live in outside the cave. They are very different young little kid.” “But, they are not all different! Some of them have wings which we also do. Some of them eat insect, which we also eat. For the rest, I can adjust into it.” Young bat flied away from the flock of bats who was gaping at young bat. “I want to live in the world where I can see the sunlight!” He shouted back to the crowd.


    Young bat has approached to sunlight in the end of the cave, even though he was still inside of cave, sunlight was so shiny that young bat couldn’t open his eyes properly. When he slowly opened his eyes, he saw the world that he had never seen before. Full of light he wanted, full of fruity food that he had always wanted to try. He met the family of sparrow who approached to young bat because of his weird looking. “You must be foreigner. I have lived here for several years and never seen someone like you” Mum sparrow said, “Are you new here?” Sparrow asked “Ahmmm... I am actually new with everything here. I just cam from the cave.” Family members felt sympathetic emotion to the bat so they brought him to their shelter. As young bat arrived to their shelter, he fell into sleep even though sun was still up because it was the time the bats used to sleep in the cave. For some reason sparrow families had aggressive attitude on him. The problem wasn't that slept while the sun was still up. The problem he made was that he unconsciously slept hanging the branch upside down.


After a short nap, young bat has realized that sparrows were gone because sparrow kids were may be scared of his flipped sleeping posture. He tried to believe himself that sparrows went somewhere to get some foods, and waited in nest for an hour. They didn't come back. He was now getting a hungry. The problem is that this young bat has never eaten any fruit, so he wasn't even sure if any fruit on the tree were edible because when he tried to taste some fruits for the first time in his life, it tasted so bad to him, and those fruits are now making stomachache. There were no c***roaches or insects that the bat was enjoying in the cave. Somehow this beautiful sunlight was even now weakening his health which held differently in outside of the cave. Young bat realizing being sick in the sunlight with hunger, loneliness and fear, thought to himself that the old bat was right. "I should have listened to him" he mumbled, "There is no place like home. I can't live with all those sunlight!". Young bat with very sick health with hunger, loneliness and fear slowly flied back to the cave.