Fear. | Teen Ink

Fear.

October 6, 2014
By Ashton Brown BRONZE, Paragould, Arkansas
Ashton Brown BRONZE, Paragould, Arkansas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I heard Jakes voice over the intercom, “Gavin please report to the fear simulation chamber” I went that way with no objection; I was ready to conquer this challenge once and for all. When I got there, Jake was waiting for me.
“You ready?” He asked.
I’m not, I know I’m not, but something inside me forces me to be ready. “I’m ready” I tried to say confidently.
He sent me to put training gear on so he could start the simulation. As I was getting dressed, I couldn’t shake the feeling that I would fail again. I have to try, I have to do this…for Dad. I have never felt more determined than right now. I head out to the entrance of the simulation. Jake was in the control room; he would be monitoring each of my fears to see how I faced each one. He gives me the “All systems go” look and I head inside. Before I knew it, the landscape had already changed into the first fear, Humiliation.
I’m surrounded by fellow resistance members laughing at me. I couldn’t figure out what they were laughing at though. I looked up down and around, but I couldn’t find anything worth laughing at. I then realize they are laughing at me in general.  They are making fun of my appearance, the way I stand, and-and my scar. I yell at them telling them to stop, but it doesn’t work, no matter what I do, they won’t shut up. “Shut up!” I scream, but to no avail.  They kept laughing.
I then remembered something my mother said to me, “Don’t give them what they want, Ignore them.” I take a deep breath and turned and walked away. The laughter stopped and the environment changed, I was in a graveyard in front of my mother and father’s grave.  This was Loss.
I knew what to do on this one.  All I had to do was take a deep breath and forget that they were dead. I knew the simulation could tap into real life and now that they are dead this fear didn’t bother me, because now this nightmare was a reality. The landscape disappeared and the next formed.
I’m in a large building that seemed to be empty except for a figure standing above me.  It was Jake. It took me time to realize but this was my Atychiphobia.
“I can’t believe you,” Jake sounded angry, “We put our faith in you, and you failed!”
“Wait…what? No I haven’t even…” I stutter, but Jake interrupts me.
“Shut up! You’re a disgrace to your family; your father would be appalled to see his son grow up to be such a failure!”
I felt a lump in my throat; I wanted to punch him. “No, you’re wrong! He would be proud I tried. He wouldn’t care if I failed.” I took a deep breath, and I felt a cool breeze hit my back and I realized that Jake was gone and now I was in a room full of mirrors.
“What is this fear? I have never seen this one before.” I say confused. I looked in one of the mirrors and expected to see myself, but I’m not scared of myself; not by a long shot. I kept looking in each mirror but nothing ever occurred. The fear disappeared and the final one came. The landscape turned dark and dismal.  The sky was grey, and the grass and trees were dark grey. Everything had turned nebulous and unforgiving. I saw nothing, and everything was dead silent. I was only there for a second.  The simulation had stopped. “What happened?” I asked.
“There’s a power outage.” Jake said.
“What caused that?” I asked.
There was a long pause before Jake answered. “I have no idea.”
We both left the chamber and walked down the hall. When we got outside everyone seemed as confused as we were. I saw people checking breakers and power lines and nothing seemed to be wrong. Jake and I headed across the camp to the main breaker room to try and fix the problem, when we got there we found the problem. Everything was covered in a slimy substance; I kneeled down to get a better look at it. Jake gave me gloves and I put them on. I reached out taking a glob of the stuff. “What-what is this stuff?” I said
Jake crouched next to me and scratched his head. “It’s hunter saliva,” he sighed, “They’re blind and incredibly hostile creatures, and it looks like they have been here…or are still here.” Jake grabbed my shoulder and jerked me upwards. “We need to quietly get out of here, if they are still in here, they already have our sent. No questions just leave the building and don’t make a sound.”
As we were walking out of the building, something caught my eye.  It was a big shadowy figure that’s shape was of that of a creatures. I nudged Jake’s shoulder and he looked that way, I looked up at him and he shook his head.  We continued forward toward the door, and just as we get there, I hit a broken pipe with my foot by accident.  We heard the creature screech. We turn around and saw the creature darting towards us. “Run!” Jake screamed before he pulled me quickly toward the exit. We burst in to a full sprint outside.  The creature was not far behind us, so we kept running until we got to the main building. Jake opened the door; I ran in and he slammed the door before the creature could get in. “What is that?! Is that a hunter?” I asked.
“Yes, and we need to kill it.” He didn’t sound scared, but I could tell he was. We rushed upstairs to the weapons room, and Jake grabbed a weapon that looked like a harpoon gun and gave it to me. “It’s the only weapon we have that can kill it, and I hope you know how it works because we don’t have the time to teach you how to fire it,” he said.
I nodded. “I know how to fire it!”
We looked out the window and saw the hunter about to attack some cornered people. I had no idea where to aim, so I tried the most logical place: the throat. I took aim at the hunter’s neck and fired.  It hit, and the hunter screeched and turned around to see me. It ran toward the building and lunged toward the window I was looking out.  It slammed into the wall and took hold of the window frame. I backed up and it came forward. I saw Jake out of the corner of my eye.  He had another gun.  He took aim and fired the harpoon through the hunter’s skull. It shrieked and squirmed but it went limp and stopped moving. 
“Only hit it in the head, you let it hear you and it almost killed you.”
“Sorry…I didn’t know, it won’t happen again.” I said