Blood, guts, and chocolate chip cookies | Teen Ink

Blood, guts, and chocolate chip cookies

By dracoinleatherpants BRONZE, Boise, Idaho
dracoinleatherpants BRONZE, Boise, Idaho

They raged through the town. Eyes clouded over, maggots crawling on rotting flesh, feet dragging on the ground as they shuffled down the street, moaning and groaning, hungry for brains.
The townspeople locked their doors and boarded their windows, but the zombies tore through them like paper. They smashed windows and walls, and soon screams filled the night air.
Soon the creatures had covered most of the wooded village. The only place left to ravage was a tiny little house at the edge of the wood, home to a sweet little grandmother. Hearts sinking, the few families left watched as the monsters approached the home of the woman they all knew and loved, and braced themselves for her screams.
A minute passed. Then ten. Then twenty. And soon, the neighbors began to remove their fingers plugging their ears. There were no screams, no wailing. Staring at each other in befuddlement, they pressed their faces to their windows. Nothing could have prepared them for the sight outside.
Standing in the middle of a pile of limbs and guts, hands on her hips, a machine gun slung over her shoulder, was the 90-year-old grandmother. One small scratch peeked out from under a kitten-patterned band-aid, but other than that she was no worse for the wear. She beamed down at the villagers as they stepped out of their houses, mouths slack. “Anybody up for some chocolate-chip cookies?” she said sweetly.

Thanks for pointing the bit about the gun out! I'll have to change that. 

Extraterrestrial SILVER, Singapore, Other

"Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!"

Eh, well, I can't really comment on much since this piece is so short. However, I did enjoy the dark humor and imagery used in this piece. I love the transition from desolate and ominous in the first few sentences to something that looks like it could come out from a Hollywood movie. The last paragraph is an especially funny bit -- I got the mental image of a deceptively frail, wispy-haired old grandmother with one foot atop a pile of dead zombies. A little bit of nitpicking on my part, though -- if she'd been using a machine gun, wouldn't the townspeople hear the sounds of the gun being fired, regardless of having covered their ears? 

Dante_Aleman GOLD, Torrington, Wyoming

Just do you and let the rest blow past you

I really enjoyed the twist in this story, the fact that not only the supposed uderdog saved the day but that a sweet old lady can defend herself and still be a sweet as those chocolate chip cookies sound. Great writing! short and sweet yet has a powerful ending like straight out of a noval. keep it up!!

carissathestoryteller GOLD, Bremen, Georgia

Remember... that each child is a separate person. Yours forever, but never fully yours. She can never be all you wished or wanted or all you know she could be. But she will be a better human being if you can let her be herself. ~Stella Chess

Cool story! Love how the old grandma was the savior in the end. Very cute, and just different enough to avoid a major cliche. My favorite bit was probably the 'One small scratch peeked out from under a kitten-patterned band-aid...'. I had to cover my mouth to keep from laughing out loud and getting weird looks from my family. I love the mix of gruesome and homely; it made it all the more interesting to read. Usually very short stories are blah, but this one was great!

RobotPenn. SILVER, El Paso, Texas

"Profound change is cumulative."

I loved loved loved this story. I liked how it was just a short scene with a (no pun intended) deliciously funny ending. I would totally eat her cookies.    As the scene is so short, there's not much of an opportunity to work on the style of writing. However, the ending is so darkly humorous, I'd love to see more of that throughout the scene. Don't succumb to the zombie cliches, especially since you smashed them at the end.    I loved it this story! Keep on writing!