The Mice and the Mansion | Teen Ink

The Mice and the Mansion

Little Susie Summers was playing blocks by herself that cold Saturday, while the howl of the wind banged on the window shutters. Her mom was pickling cucumbers and her dad was always gone selling computers. So little Susie Summers played blocks by herself.

Building with the blocks was Susie’s favorite thing to do. She would build cozy little cottages and big monstrous mansions for her favorite dolls. Everything Susie made for her dolls were very nice and the dolls agreed as well; however, they were very quiet-sort of folk.

“I wish you’d answer me.” Susie said that Saturday, as the dolls stared silently back.

“Then your wish shall be granted.” A small voice piped.

“Annabelle?” Susie asked her favorite doll. “Was that you?”

“I most certainly am not called Annabelle.” The voice replied as a tiny mouse appeared where Annabelle had been placed. “Pleased to make your acquaintance lovely lady, I am called Simon and this is my twin brother Samuel.” The mouse stated as a fatter mouse ran out behind the dolls.

“But you two are mice!” Susie laughed, “You are so small how could you possible grant my wish?”

“We will keep you company, talk to you so you’re never lonely again. However, there is a catch. In return you will lose something, as nothing is ever gained without a fair trade.”

“Alright,” Susie agreed quickly.

“We will be back tomorrow then,” The mice snickered, as they were already hatching their miceish plans.
So, little Susie Summers fell asleep that night dreaming happily of all the games her and the mice would play tomorrow.

When the sun rose little Susie opened her eyes and sat up in her bed. Remembering the mice’s promise at once she threw on her favorite pajamas and ran downstairs.

“Mice, little mice?” Susie called, looking in the crooks and crannies of her house. But no mice were to be found. So Susie sullenly walked to her kitchen to eat breakfast with her mother and father. When she had finished her oatmeal and eggs her mother began the housework, but surprisingly her father stayed in the kitchen.

“That tasted amazing!” her father piped gleefully, finishing the last bits of his eggs. “Well Susie, what do you want to play today?”

Susie was surprised because it was a Sunday and every Sunday Susie’s father had lunch with his customers. “Don’t you work today, papa?” Susie asked.

“No of course not Susie, today I’m spending the day with you!” Her father said smugly, and for a moment Susie though she heard the chittering of mice.

So Susie and her father played all of Susie’s favorite games: they played with her dolls and they played with her videogames, where Susie beat the high score. Then they played dress-up with her fathers clothes which were much too big on her so Susie tripped frequently. They played Tic-Tac-Toe and Hide-and-Go-Seek and all the other games you need two people to play. Until finally Susie began to get out her box of block because the day was ending and blocks were her favorite game.

Susie’s father excused himself to go grab them a snack, and when he left Susie quietly said to her dolls “This does not seem like Papa at all. He never stays home with me. I believe the mice are behind this.” At that she quietly got up and crept across the living room to the kitchen where she spotted her father taking out the cheese cubes from the refrigerator and plopping them one by one into his mouth. That proved that the mice were controlling her father, so Susie began making a plan of her own.

“What are you making with your blocks Susie?” Her father asked and Susie could see a small mouse tail poking out of his shirt. “Oh nothing,” Susie said nonchalantly. “I’m building a mansion. But you wouldn’t be interested.”

“And why wouldn’t I? That mansion looks like a fine place to live in.” her father said. “It looks to be about the perfect size!”

“Maybe for some mice Papa but most certainly not for you. You are much too big right now to ever fit in this mansion.” Susie said a sly smile spreading across her face. “It is rather fine though -- look through the windows Papa, what do you see?”

“What a nice little couch!” her father squeaked. “And up the stairs
there are even two rooms with two little beds in them! And what’s this in the living room? Is that a reclining chair?”

“You missed the kitchen,” Susie said. “I even placed small cups and plates in there from my china doll set. It would be perfect fit for two little mice I suppose. It’s a pity there are no mice in our house Papa.”

At that a mouse poked his head out from under her fathers sweater and stared at Susie with it’s beady black eyes. He jumped off her father’s shoulder and into the block mansion, while the second mouse followed close behind.

“Do you mean to say we can stay here?” Simon nearly squealed. “Can we really live in this little house?”

“Of course you can.”