A Playful Squirrel's Deadly Quarrel | Teen Ink

A Playful Squirrel's Deadly Quarrel

It was the eve of battle, at Fort Anquin. The soldiers had eaten their meal and were preparing for bed. They were all mice, since the fort was located at the top of mount kalipis which rests in the range of mountains where the mice dwell. It was not far from the Fortress but too far away for reinforcements to make it in a timely manner. The enemy army was that of captain Rifrag, who was ordered by his king to march upon this fort. Rifrag knew it would be a hard journey up the mountain for his rats but he was determined to follow his orders. He was about ½ a mile from the fort, preparing his siege equipment for the next nights attack. The rats were up most of the night working as hard as they could after making the long journey.

Their efforts were easily heard by a passing squirrel family that was journeying from the fortress itself. The family consisted of only the father and his son and daughter. They heard the noise and hurried along to the fort in order to find safety and warn the mice of the approaching enemy. It was an easy journey for the group who made quick work of the distance by using the trees. They were quickly given food and shelter by the friendly mice but the squirrels felt that their news was urgent and called for the general. Unfortunately there was no general at the fort at the time so when the battle is fought the mice will be fighting without lead. This is a definite advantage for the rats that had no idea that the mice were on their own. If the rats knew about that they would probably have made their move right then and there and slaughtered all of the mice. With the squirrel’s news, the mice set up a double watch for the night. While the soldiers were eating the elder squirrel piped a tune out on his pan pipes while his children danced. The mice were mesmerized by the agility that the young squirrel showed as his feet flew up and down.

“What’s your name me boy?” asked an elder mouse with only one ear.

“Me name’s Douglas” said he “but ye can call me Doug.”
“Well Dougy, me boy, strike up another jig for me, will ya, it’s an o’l tune from West lundiva. You ever heard of Lundiva eh?” he asked.

“No sir, never heard of no lundiniyva” responded Doug.

“Well it’s an Island far to the west, where all creatures live together in harmony and tranquility. You’ve probably heard it, it’s called ‘Lunda Give me joy to me heart’.”

“Ah yes, I can do that jig like the back of my hand.”

“Can ye now,” said the mouse “It’s a lively jig, one that well suits you. This will probably be the last time I see it performed before me eyes before I leave you all.” The dance was done at a rapid pace much to the old mouse’s pleasure.

The next day, Doug was seen to have so much energy by the way he dashed about cheering up the troops and helping out here and there. It was nearing nightfall when the squirrel family was confronted by an armored up mouse.

“You should probably make your way to the keep and stay there” advised the soldier “the enemy is right outside our walls and ready to do battle at all costs.” The family did as he said. Shouts were clearly heard from outside. The mice were clearly angry and a battle was about to be done.

BBBBBOOOOOOOOMMMMM.

The crash was heard and felt all over. A soldier reported to the keep, that the rats had a battering ram and were well at the gates. Another reported came and said they dealt with the ram but not the ladders. The rats were now in the fort and all out fighting was happening.

“Take cover” shouted a mouse at the top of his lungs. “They’ve got Fire arrows.” Just then a flaming arrow sped through an open window onto a pile of hay which rapidly burned.

“I’m going to get water” shouted Doug bravely.

“No, come back here, Douglas!” Shouted his father “you will get killed.” But it was already too late; Doug had left the hall and was already out the door. He froze with terror, at the sight that met him there. Dead beasts were covering the ground. Those fighting still were drenched in blood and were barely able to stand. Realizing that he had a task at hand, Doug rushed to the well. His fastest route was to go on the untroden on wall. As he was turning the bend he noticed some activity over the wall. It was the rats. They had already shot down the sentry and were devising a plan to get over the wall. With a sudden rush of Courage, Doug picked up the fallen bow and notched on an arrow. He had never held a bow before but he amide well for the well clad rat. He fired the arrow and it whizzed into the rats unprotected head. The rats screamed, looked up to the wall and saw three mice with bows at the ready already firing arrows down upon them. Doug, seeing that help had arrived moved off to the well.

Victory, Victory to the playful squirrel was the cheer that night for the victorious mice. The rat that Doug had shot was Rifrag, the rat leader. He had won the mice their victory that day. This battle has been written and is now found in the Libraries of Nicacia, the Fortress of the mice. The story is often forgotten but, in times of need it is looked at as a scripture of bravery and a good story to tell at a camp fire. How the battle was one by such an unlikely creature.