The Haunted House | Teen Ink

The Haunted House

March 28, 2014
By Mollyb15 BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan
Mollyb15 BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The Haunted House

Pulling up to the house, the family was in shock; they knew it would be run down, but never expected this. It was a large green house with paint peeling and rooms falling down. When driving up, the house itself had a negative vibe. However, the grass was extremely green and the trees were big and tall. Although the house was horrible now, everyone agreed that it had potential. Something really great about the house was all the land that came with it; the kids had space to run and play, and the neighbors were at least a mile away. The family decided to walk into the house open minded, but the inside of the it was even worse than the outside. It had a wet, moldy feel because, the roof was so worn out that when it rained, it all came inside. The living room showed a chunk of the old, dark wood floor missing, and into the kitchen, cabinets were continuously falling down. The tiled floor was so loose, that no one could even walk on it without a square coming loose.
The family had a lot of work to do, and since they had just moved to a new city, they didn't have anyone to stay with, and they couldn't afford a hotel with all the work that had to be done at home. This meant that the first thing they had to do was get a new roof and redo the whole upstairs where the bedrooms are. The upstairs was so messed up from water damage that they basically had to rebuild it, but it turned out very modern and classy in the end, with beautiful woodwork to match the old house. They had four bedrooms and two bathrooms upstairs; they basically had to live up there until the rest of the house was done. The family moved in all of there stuff and got comfortable; they were all so excited to spend the night in there new home and get a good night sleep. However, no one got any sleep at all, the constant moans, creepy shadows, and horrible four a.m. screeches, left the family restless. The house they bought and planned to fix up, was haunted. The two Parents, Shelly and Rob, didn't believe in ghost, and blamed each noise and shadow, on the animals outside. Things began to get even weirder, every night at midnight there daughter Kelly’s favorite baby toy would start to go off and sing a song, and the pictures they hung up on the walls, kept falling down. They still didn't think there house was haunted.
One morning, when Rob and the kids were at the movies and Shelly was going out to lunch, things got very strange. As she switched the laundry, every window in the big house, shattered at once. Then the doors started to slam, and a low, deep voice continuously said “Shheelllyy” every five minutes. She finally put everything together and realized that her house really was haunted. She ran down the stairs to leave but just as she reached for the dark door handle, the shiny silver lock swiftly spun and wouldn't go back. She tried and tried to turn the lock, but it wouldn’t work. She ran to the other two doors, but they did the exact same thing. She paced around looking for a big enough window that she could jump out of, but right before her eyes, the windows were fixed. She stood in the old living room trying to think of ways to get out, and just then she felt and a soft tap on her left shoulder. She screamed and turned around to see a young man around twenty years old staring at her. He wasn’t normal though, he was unnaturally pale, and had a greenish look in his face. Shelly relaxed as she stared into the young mans eyes and saw the sadness planted on his face. She realized he wasn't here to hurt her, he needed help. Shelly decided to do something very risky, she sat down with him the man and listened to his story, she wanted to help. He told her that fifty years ago when he was painting the family room, the floor gave out, and he fell head first into the hard basement. The injury was so bad that he died almost instantly. People always told his parents that he died a quick painless death, but he did not. For the last fifty years he has felt himself falling on the floor over and over again. He still had so much pain, and no peace. He told her that he watched his parents patch that part of the floor, then move out. The rest of the floor still was not sturdy, and he never wanted to see someone die the same way he did. The family had to fix the floor. The young man told her that as soon as they fixed the floor he would be able to rest in peace and leave them alone. Even though the family room was one of the last thing on the families list, Shelly made it first. One week later the floors were fixed, and the haunting stopped. The man thanked Shelly and went to heaven, everyone slept peacefully from then on, and the house they bought became an amazing home.