The Wrong Side | Teen Ink

The Wrong Side

By Icithra PLATINUM, Arlington, Massachusetts
Icithra PLATINUM, Arlington, Massachusetts

The wastebasket is a writer's best friend. ~Isaac Bashevis Singer

I must have woken up on the wrong side of bed that morning. I couldn't find my slippers, and my feet were freezing. The shower ran out of hot water, and we had no more of our favorite cereal. I spilled Wheat Chex all over myself. It was so cold when I ran out to catch the bus that my wet hair froze willy nilly.
At school, I had forgotten to bring my history homework, and the teacher lectured the whole class for ten minutes on the importance of doing homework. We were learning about World War II in History, and the homework was an essay about the battle of the bulge.
The teacher called me up to the front of the class, saying that if I had only forgotten my homework, I still would know the material. Fortunately, I had done the homework, I just left it at home.
I began to talk. “The battle of the bulge was the last major Nazi offensive. It’s called so because the attack created a bulge in the Allied lines. If the Nazi’s had won, they probably would have won the war.”
The teacher laughed. “But there’s where you’re wrong. The Nazi’s did win the battle of the bulge.”
“No they didn't.” I said. “They couldn't have. Because if they did, they would have won the whole war.”
The teacher had a nasty smile on her face. “They don’t call it the Age of Hitler for nothing. The Nazi’s did win World War II.”
Man. I really must have woken up on the wrong side of the bed.