A Watchful GUardian | Teen Ink

A Watchful GUardian

February 7, 2014
By Anonymous

“When’re you coming home? You’ve been there forever!”

“Stop being so protective. You act like you’re the older sister who has to watch over me.”
“Technically, I am older. And it is my job. Just as equally as it is yours to me.”

“Technically, you’re only older by about fourteen minutes.”

“Yeah, well, I grow fourteen minutes quicker than you do.”

“Stop being such a smart mouth. I’ll get home when I get home.”

“Alright. LOVE YA!”

“Please don’t make it awkward like that. It’s just not cool.” Alex had ended that call.

I stared at the happy photo of her and me. That was our last conversation together. The mere memory of her voice sent tears down my rosy cheeks. I thought I would be over it by now after two years, but I wasn’t. I couldn’t let go. No body was found; no evidence to the case. I never knew how she died. And I didn’t want to learn.

I heard footsteps approaching. I hastily rubbed my sleeve roughly against my puffy eyes to wipe the tears. The material irritated and burned my skin.

Chloe Marks, my mother, entered my room. “You ready for school?” She took another glance at me. “What’s wrong, Anna?”

“Nothing,” I said calmly. There was no crack in my voice, no indication that I was upset. “Just tired. That’s all.”

Chloe’s expression softened. “Oh. Alright then. Well, the bus will be coming, so get your things.” She left.

I sniffled and exhaled. I put on my black zip-up fleece and seized the checkered plaid backpack.

Outside the cool wind blasted with a sudden impact. My body shivered as the autumn leaves brushed by. How easily the gust swept them off the ground and swiftly carried them away. I zipped my jacket up to my mouth where the coat collar covered my frozen ears. Looking up, I viewed the sky; the ugly gray clouds swirled above and there was no sun to be seen; no warm rays of cheeriness to rain down on earth—only darkness and despair.
It was just the way I liked it.
The yellow bus pulled around from the corner of our little street. It came to a halt and the doors flew open. Avoiding eye contact, I climbed on and took an empty seat in the front, far away from the swarming crowd in the rear. The constant chatter made it impossible to think. Covering my ears didn’t help, either.
So there I was: stuck in a moving cage with insignificant people who feel above everyone else. I turned around and scowled. Of course no one paid any consideration to me. I was among the invisibles.

Class began as usual, but today I didn’t. I wasn’t feeling myself. Even Kelly started to pick up on that.
“What’s up? And don’t give me that ‘nothing’ crap. You’re not your usual depressed self. Something’s different this time. I can tell.”
I sighed. Kelly has been my best friend for nine years. We do everything together. However, she’s not the person I would go to talk with. I was hardly comfortable with admitting things to myself.
When I did not reply, she went on to whisper, “Is it, You Know Who?”
“Well it’s not Voldemort if that’s what you’re implying.” I tried to make it seem like I was playing around. She knew I was terrible at jokes. Kelly’s eyebrow rose. I gave up. “Yes. It’s Alex.”
Her expression changed entirely. “Aw, Ann! I’m sorry, I really am. If you’re still upset, we should totally just talk about it. You know you can always cry on my shoulder.”
I rolled my eyes. I didn’t cry on anybody’s shoulder. Generally I would curl up in a corner alone and let the tears leak out until my eyes went dry. “No, really. I’m fine. I don’t feel like talking. It’s not in my area to consult an unexperienced therapist.” I snatched my books and left for next class.
I was more quiet than usual that day. I never raised my hand in class. That part was normal. However, at lunch I ate and read in complete silence. I kept my shoulders hunched and my eyes down. Nothing in my mind was flowing. Studies were all just a blur. I couldn’t go take it. After school, I knew precisely what I needed.
When I got off the bus, I didn’t go home. Instead, I sprinted down the road until I hit an alleyway that surveyed the city. The dazzling lights struck me in a state of awe. I panted and settled myself down on the cold ice pavement with my legs crisscrossed into a pretzel. Despite the odor of rotting food from trash bins and the rush of cars speeding down the roads, the scene was stunningly beautiful.
This was where I could think. This was where I could truly be alone.

“I wish I could appreciate it too,” said a faint, nervous voice.
I leapt up and spun around. Someone—or something—was standing in the dark. I couldn’t make out anything except an outline. But the voice. It was familiar. I couldn’t quite recall who it belonged to.
“Who is it?” I asked trembling. My heart pounded against my chest. My arms stiffened and shook badly. I knew I was defenseless. Even though the sound of her voice was kind and reassuring, I couldn’t let my guard down.
“Don’t be afraid. It’s just me.” The young girl spoke softly. I realized she sounded almost exactly like me.
“Show yourself,” I demanded. But I wish I hadn’t. I was unprepared for what I saw. I gasped and covered my mouth, taking a step back to reinforce my balance.
Alexandra Marks stood before me. She was neither flesh nor vapor. Her entire appearance was drained of color. There was sadness and desolation in her weary cold black eyes. Was she a ghost? A spirit damned to wonder the earth for eternity? I took exaggerated breaths.
“You—you can’t—how could--?” I gulped down my words with staggering breaths. She couldn’t be standing here. I had to be imagining this. My sister was dead. Yet here she was, talking to me in a full body presence.
“It’s me, Ann. I’ve missed you so much,” she said tenderly, taking slow movements towards me. I took a few steps back. “No, it’s alright. It’s just me.” she stopped and faintly smiled. There was something about her that was upsetting. She was not happy. Of course she’s not happy. I thought stupidly. She’s been dead for almost two years.
“H-how are you here? I was at your funeral. I saw your coffin and your body—“I couldn’t finish.
She delicately surveyed my troubled face. “Anna. I need to ask a favor.”
I didn’t say anything immediately. She had come back for this. She’s my sister. I’d do anything for her. “What is it?”
Alex bit her lip. “This will be hard to ask you, but it’s necessary.” I hesitated. She narrowed her gaze. “You love me, don’t you? Please, Anna. It’s really important and only you can do it. I need you.”
I swallowed. “OK. I’ll do it. What do you need?”
“Do you remember my best friend? The girl I was with before I died?”
I distinctly remembered our final conversation together on the phone. Alex was with her friend at a swim practice. “Yeah, Sarah. What about her?”
“She’s the one who killed me.”
I gaped at her. Sarah Mallory. Her best friend since second grade. “What? Why? Alex, she was your best pal. Why would she do that?”
“Her dad was wanted for five murder cases. She looked up to him, wanted to follow in his steps. So she wanted to make him proud. Look, this isn’t for revenge. You have to make sure she doesn’t slaughter someone again.”
“What am I supposed to do?”
She paused. “You have to kill her, Ann.”

I bolted upright in my bed. It took a few moments for me to regain my dramatic memory. I looked around my room. It was dark and there was nobody else but me. The digital clock read 4:38. Was I just having a nightmare? I didn’t recall going home or falling asleep at all yesterday. The last thing I remembered was Alex appearing to me and telling me I had to murder.
You have to kill her, Ann. The words were etched into my brain. Me? Murder an innocent young girl? But she’s not innocent. She killed Alex. And that was the only reason I needed. Sarah played friend well. Then she went gory. Fine. Now it’s my turn to play.
“I know what you are thinking. Believe me, don’t fall for it. I know you’re smarter than that, Anna,” said a young male voice.
I spun around. A figure was lurking in the shadowy corner. “I’m sick of surprise guests. So just come out,” I ordered harshly.
He obeyed and stepped out from the darkness. His tall, slender body had curves of muscles protruding from his biceps and calves. His high cheekbones shaped his gaunt face. He couldn’t be any older than sixteen years. There was no expression upon his handsome face. Only half of his form was visible in the moonlight.
“And who’re you supposed to be?” I asked ominously.
“Do not be alarmed. I come with a message.”
“’Don’t be alarmed’? How did you get into my house?” I probed.
“Please, I have a very short time.” His language was formal, unlike most teens. “Anna, you must listen to me. Things are not the way they seem. You are in terribly grave danger. I wish I could get you to understand it. You will not comprehend the situation.
“It is your sister, Alexandra. She is not what you think. Listen very carefully: do not do as she asks. Heed my warning.”
“If she’s not what I think, then what is she? And what are you?”
“She is—“ The boy bellowed and suddenly vanished. I glanced around. He was nowhere in sight. Instead, Alex had appeared right in front of me. She startled me and I jolted back, hitting my head off the wall. I rubbed my aching temple and looked up at her.
“I am sorry I alarmed you. I could not have him give you false information.”
“Who was he, anyways?”
“An evil person, trying to allow another innocent life to fall. You can’t trust him. He lies and cheats. I’ve been running from him since I first died.”
I sighed. There was too much going on in one night. I was a little taken aback by the way he spoke to me. It was urgent. He must have known my sister would foil his plans to persuade me into believing him. Here she was. My protector. “How did you make him go away?”
“I learned a few tricks here and there.” She smirked.
I laughed. Same old Alex. However, I was not on the same page. “I don’t know if I can kill someone. No matter how bad they were.” I had given her favor some thought.
“This is strictly important. You must. There is no other way. She is, what you might think, a devil. Do not be deceived. Trust no one.”
And she vanished.
I lied back in my bed. There was no way I would allow another person suffer the same tragic fate as Alex. I have no choice. Murderer or not, Sarah Mallory must be stopped. And it had to result with her death.
The following morning I took certain precautions to sneak a silver blade into school. There were no surveillance cameras or security check points. I kept the knife tucked in my boot. The only time I would be able to get with Sarah without mysteriously attracting attention was at recess. So I had to wait until then, the anxiety and apprehension boiling up.
After eyeing the clock forever, it was finally twelve. Lunch and recess. Now was my moment. Beads of sweat dripped down my spine and cheeks. I wiped them away and swallowed. I tried to take slow and steady breaths, but it seemed more like panting. I viewed the play yard. There was Sarah, sitting at a table alone reading. I knew why she shunned people away just like me; after Alex’s death, she was never quite the same. But Alex’s words resonated in my thoughts. She’s the one who killed me. Sarah Mallory was a soulless creature. And I hated every ounce of her. I paced towards her.
“Sarah, can I talk with you? Privately?” I asked politely.
She was rather befuddled by my random engagement. She was Alex’s friend, not mine. We were somewhat distant.
“Uh, yeah. Sure.” She followed me to behind the building. “Look, if it’s about Alex, I don’t want to talk. I’m still really—whoa, what are you doing!?”
I swerved around and gripped her throat loosely. With a free hand, I drew the blade. She was absolutely horror struck. I cut her esophagus so she couldn’t cry for help. Little whispering squeaks emitted from her mouth as her face went red and tears spilled out. It was hard to look at her like this.
“I’m sorry. I don’t want to do this. But I have to. You killed her. She loved you and you murdered her in cold. Now I’m going to repay the favor,” I choked sincerely. I extended my arm into the sky and aimed the dagger. My heart was racing; I felt like my chest was going to explode. She closed her eyes. This was it. I was going to—to—was I going to kill her? I suddenly experienced a change. No. no, I couldn’t do this. This isn’t me. I’m no murderer. I released my grip and puffed. Tears began to spill from my own eyes.
“Anna!” The mysterious boy from the previous night appeared from thin air. “Anna, don’t do it! It’s not—oh.” I squinted at him. A little late there, dude. He sheepishly chuckled. “Phew! For a second there I thought you actually were actually going to—you know.”
Sarah’s eyes rolled into her eye socket as she crumbled to the ground and fainted. “So what? Are you going to explain or not? I want some answers. Now,” I ordered.
“Ann. That is not your sister. Whatever she may look like, whatever she says, she is not Alex. Trust me. I’ve met your sister. She’s safe in heaven. But she is worried about you. That’s why she asked me to go to you. That thing is taking the shape of your sister to persuade you into sinning. It’s a demon sent by Lucifer. That is the goal of a demon: to lure innocent people into committing a grave evil. It lies to persuade. Using your sister as a disguise was a tactical advantage. It made it easier to gain your trust.”
I gawked open-mouthed at him. “Wait. Demons are real? And you met my sister in Heaven? You’re a message. Does that make you--?”
“An angel of God, yes,” He said simply.
I didn’t believe him. “Then where’re your wings?” I testily asked.
He looked in every direction to ensure we were alone. Then from his shoulder blades, two magnificent enormous wings expanded. Each white feather discharged a gloriously brilliant glow that made him look dazzling in the light.
“Wow. Now that is something,” I exclaimed extraordinarily. Every bit of his appearance made him impeccable. I effortlessly scanned his elegant body and wings. There were no flaws. No signs of imperfections.

“Now we need to find that thing and stop it.”

“Wish granted.” The demon Alex lazily rounded the corner and came to a halt, crossing her arms. “Well, at least the first part.” Her voice was controlling and she had a smug look on her devilish face. She couldn’t wipe that malicious smirk off. Now I saw a demon. A ravenous monster. The atmosphere changed to a cold, angry wind. Leaves rustled violently down the pavement. I shivered. She snickered and wickedly laughed. “Did you like the look I pulled off, Anna? It was pretty accurate, wasn’t it? I had your sister nailed down.”

I took an aggressively threatening step towards her, but the angel held me back. Don’t, you can’t beat her. The apprehensive look was clear on his face. If I couldn’t hurt her, then I’d prove a point. “Are you here to make yourself feel like a winner? You failed, remember? Lucifer won’t be pleased.”

Her mischievous sneer started to fade. “If I’m going down, you’re coming with me, Anna Marks.” She unexpectedly rematerialized in front of me and seized my shoulder. The graceful angel was flung back by an invisible force as he cried, “No!”

What I was sure should have been excruciating pain was instead a warm touch. The demon stared down horrified as her hand began to crumble up to her arm. She agonizingly howled and burned into a flame. There was nothing left.

The angel got to his feet. “How did you do that? Only a powerful Hell repellant could destroy her.”

My eyes widened. I pulled a chain necklace with a golden cross attached to the end beneath my shirt.

He glared at it, bewildered. “Where on earth did you get that?”

I closed my eyes and grinned. I knew exactly where I had gotten it. I reopened them, looking to the sky. “It was a gift from Alex.”

He smiled hopefully. “By the way, I’m Castiel.”

“Nice to meet you, Castiel.” I extended a warm hand and he shook.

Running footsteps were coming from the rear of the school. I turned around. “Hey, Anna! Where were you?” Kelly badgered.

I rotated back. Castiel was gone.

“I’m coming,” I responded sadly.

She looked at me with unease. “Not everything in the world is doomed, you know.”

I guess she was right.


The author's comments:
I wrote this when I was completely obsessed with Supernatural. So this story was based off that.