White Hood: The Unworthy | Teen Ink

White Hood: The Unworthy

July 23, 2012
By MorenSore SILVER, Albuquerque, New Mexico
MorenSore SILVER, Albuquerque, New Mexico
9 articles 0 photos 45 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Liberty is not the power of doing what we like, but the right of being able to do what we ought."
~Lord Acton


My Mother always told me one day my big mouth would get me in trouble. (Chuckle) guess she was right. I took two long steps toward the center of the room, taking each step with caution. On the opposite side my master, Fern Grey, was doing much the same. I did a quick hiss to settle my nerves before darting out with my sword.

The vaulted ceilings rang with the sound of medal on medal. The red and gold chamber had black banners draping down from the pillars. Blood stained one such banner, with what was said to be the blood of an Apprentice sentenced to death. Ferns pearl embedded sword came inches from my neck. A sharp pain landed in my shoulder as he slapped the flat of his crimson blade down on it.

I screamed in anguish, as Ferns blade (Shrenger) looped around my out stretched arm to come crashing into my side. My breath was driven from me and I was sent flying in to the red stained banner now soaking it with my own blood. “Next time don’t be so quick with the tongue boy.” He said with out mercy.

Fern stalked away hissing in fury. For some reason it wasn’t hard for me to imagine him kicking a puppy right about now. The Black hood weren’t known for there kindness though. Last week I got a congrats for beating up a kid I don’t like. Its all to literally survival of the fittest, and I’m not the fittest. With all my disorders I can’t walk down the hall without made fun of or getting into a fight.


I was still trying to get up after his rib cracking backhand. When my least favorite person arrived, Hayden. Surrounded by his usual group of the “fittest”.

“ Old Fern best you again Birdy” there was around of oh’s that went round like a spin top. Several of them found it fun if they kicked me while I was down, cowards. “ My grandma could’ve killed you, and she’s been dead fifty years.” He hollered. It was after all in the Black Hood Creed: Power is meant to be wielded; the weak are meant to be wielded upon. Now that I think about it, I don’t like that phrase. I tried to regain my feet, bad move. No sooner had I gotten to my feet then Hayden mock-delicately poked my four head. I couldn’t help myself; I fell flat on my back. A large crowd had gathered at this point and were sniggering and pointing at my helpless form.

“ Back off.” A voice said from the crowd. Everyone’s head snapped toward a point somewhere behind me. I had to see who it was but I couldn’t bring myself to turn my head to the rescuer. The crowd’s mouths dropped, and I forced myself to look around. A sleek girl with long red hair was standing over my helpless, bleeding form. This was extremely unusual, another black hood standing up for someone else. We where hand picked, and the black hood would never accept such a nice gracious person. There was a moment of silence, then “ You’ve got to be joking,” Hayden said leaning over me “ I think you’ve got yourself a girl friend!” I flushed and chirped.

“ I’m sorry I don’t think he’s interested, he’s still trying to get over getting turned down by Gabby.” He sniggered. The fresh gossip twisted around the circle as people laughed and taunted. I chirped some more, I tried to contain it, but they just burst out more aggressively.

“ I will give you one last chance, walk away, or I will personally see to it that you get your reward,” she said in an even razor sharp voice, Hayden didn’t pick up on it.

“ What ever you say toot’s, bring it on,” he said making a kissing sound and beckoning her forward. She easily drew her long thin sword from her scabbard and stepped over my body. “ I plan to,” she said. Then in the blink of an eye, she whipped the flat of her blade across his left arm. He gasped in pain and gripped his arm as hard as he could, his face turning red. She waited a second so that every body could see his reaction to the simple stroke. He drew his sword; now weary of his opponent’s capabilities. Two boys started to emerge from the crowd, but she held up a hand to stop them. They looked at each other then stepped back into the crowd.

Hayden took the momentary distraction as a chance to lunge at her. She easily parried his blow then, delicately flicked the sword from his hand and into the wall. His eyes widened in panic as he saw her raze her sword, then stare in confusion as she slid it back into its sheath. “Let’s see how you fight with your hands.” She said striking a defensive position. Realization dawned in his eyes, and then it was taken over by an arrogant gleam. “ You’re going to regret that.” He said throwing to right jabs and a left hook. This failed miserably, she blocked the two jabs ducked the hook then followed up with her own crushing combo. Hayden’s combo was based on mere strength; hers though was about skill and timing. She jabbed the palm of her hand into his nose and a sickening crack resounded through the room. Tears instantly welled up in his eyes, and he was instantly blinded. She followed up by a crushing kick to the groin; he bent over in agony now lowering his head to her shoulder height. She quickly slammed her hands on his ears, and as he screamed from the disorienting blow, she threw her foot into his gut sending him sprawling on the ground. Stunned faces circled the room as she brushed herself off casually. Then she turned to the crowed and shouted “ Get out of here!”

The crowd was very quick to disperse, as nobody wanted to get on her bad side after that display. In just about two minutes it was just her, the two boy’s from the crowd, and me. She leaned over my dazed body and held her hand out, “ need a hand,” she asked. I nodded stiffly and took it, she hoisted me back to my feet, and then gestured to the one of the boys and said “ Macon, come help me.” She said. Macon ran and threw my arm over his shoulder, while she took the other. The other boy led the way forward as he led them up to the wards. They passed under an archway emblazoned with the number 19 on it. The taller boy walked up to the door and knocked once, then a few seconds later I heard another knock. The boy then proceeded to whisper into a few thin slits in the door, then the door opened and they entered into the room.


The author's comments:
This is another spin off from a book I wrote called the White Hood.