True Pain | Teen Ink

True Pain

By Rachael Turetsky BRONZE, Prosser, Washington
Rachael Turetsky BRONZE, Prosser, Washington

The sun was black as coal and all the flowers had dried up, even though it was spring. It wasn't like any other day. I wrapped my arms around one of my mother's legs, holding onto her tightly. I liked the feeling of her warmth, it made me feel secure and safe.

"Mommy, what’s happening?" I asked while shivering with fear.

She hugged me and said, "It's the Dark Shadows, they want revenge."

"Why mommy, why?" I cried.

"Along time ago, we destroyed there planet, and they swore that they would have their vengeance."

My heart beat fast, and my breath was heavy "I'm scared.”

"It’s going to be okay Lia. We'll have to go to an underground hideaway where we will be safe."

I clutched my moms hand, as we ran out the back door. We ran for around two miles, the whole way I felt confused and scared. We stopped in front of a large oak tree. A tall dark figure stood in front of the tree waiting, and she beckons for us to follow her.

She opens up an unseen door in the tree. We followed down a flight of stairs, leading underground. We were led into a dark room with many crying and screaming people. She showed us to a corner of the room with one little bed and a thin blanket.

"It's not much, but it's better than nothing" She said. and then she dissapeared into the darkness of the room.

We lived there for many years, nothing much happened but we established a life for ourselves. It wasn't a good life but we made the best of it.

One morning, when I was fifteen, I woke to find my mother gone. "Mom, where are you?" I called sleepily. I shook my best friend, Jason.

"What?" he groaned.

"It's my mom, she's gone. Do you know where she went?"

"She's probably just going to the bathroom."

"You're right, I'll go check."

I ran over to the small bathroom in which several people shared. "Mom, are you in there?" I waited for a few seconds then I pushed on the door. It flung open, I stepped in and looked around, it was completely empty. I ran quietly back to Jason, trying not to wake the sleeping people. "She's not there!"

"What if..." He paused "what if she went to get more food in the forest." He said solumly.

We ran up the stairs and then opened up the door. I saw my mom lying down with blood all over her. "Mom, talk to to me, please!" Tears flooded down my face my face. "I...I’ll go and get the doctor!” Jason told me.

The Dark Shadow's had killed her. She had ignored everyone's advice, she had left the safe haven, and now, she had also left life. My life. ?

I waited there for what felt like years. I couldn't bare the pain, I just wanted to scream as loudly as I could. I wanted to die. Finally Jason came back with the doctor, we were in the hideaway now. The doctor checked her heart beat, to make sure she was dead.

"I'm sorry, she’s gone."

Those words, those dreaded words made me realize I had to do something about the Dark Shadows.That is how it feels to have true agony. After the funeral I told Jason I was going to run away and try to stop the dark shadows. He grabbed my arm and said that he was not going to let me go alone. So it was decided that we were going to leave tomorrow.

This piece is one of my darker pieces.