Fairies | Teen Ink

Fairies

December 14, 2010
By RyanTyler PLATINUM, Windsor, Connecticut
RyanTyler PLATINUM, Windsor, Connecticut
21 articles 0 photos 94 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A myth is a religion in which no one no longer believes." James Feibleman


Fairies are believed to be myth, small female creatures with lovely wings. But here, in this un-named land they are real both boys and girls. How can you tell the difference between a male and a female? The boy’s wings are darker color while the girls are bright and vibrant tending to be covered in sparkles.

Sakda sighed watching all the boys from afar as they played. He wasn’t welcomed there, they considered him a girl. His wings were brightly decorated and let off a trail of sparkles when he flapped them, and the sad part was he couldn’t even fly.

His brother Itzik, who was one of the smartest and strongest in there part of the village, his wings were black with a tint of red and let of a venom killer to any mortal. When he stood still it collected in a puddle at his feet and when he flew it let out a deadly mist. Sometimes Sakda would watch him practice his fighting technique for the anticipated war against the mortal. At a young age Sakda and his brother was taught that mortals meant death. But he was curious about them and would find himself watching them from the boundary. Humans were weird and somehow spoke the same language. But the one who caught his attention the most was a young blond probably with eye so blue they looked like the sea, he had ears on the top of his head like a cat and a tail that seemed to move with his emotion. Later he over hared that his name was Nardu the prince of the mortals.

What really drew him to this boy was that he was out casted just like him and spent most of his time by himself. This made it easier for him to get closer to him. The blond boy would always sit by the hedge that separated the two territories, and then move to be inside them when no one was looking. And with Sakda already hiding in there it just made it easier for him to get close.

“Pst.” Sakda called to the other “Hi”

“Who are you?” The blond asked stepping closer.”

“Sakda.”

“Your sir name I mean.”

“Upen.” The moment he said it he hoped it wouldn’t turn the other away, for the name Upen was know through out the land as the name of the fairy leaders.

The cat boy however, squinted moving through the bush so he could see the other more clearly “Wings, brightly colored too…You’re a girl.”

“No.”

The cat stepped back surprised by what the other had said and stared at him with wide eyes “You’re a boy fairy with bright wings.” He held back a laugh once he heard the twinkling noise Sakda wings made when he was upset.

“You know what I’ll just leave.” The other boy got up to leave.

“No wait.” Nardu Grabbed Sakdas wrist “I didn’t mean to laugh. There pretty really, and have nice contrast with your bark hair.

Sakda looked at him questionably “I didn’t get your name.” He lied not wanting to admit that he was watching him before him.

“It’s Nardu.” He released his hold on the other “Why are you here anyways.”

“I-I wanted to talk to you.”

“Why.”

Sakda shrugged “I don’t know, I just saw you and, well…”

“You know were not supposed to be talking right?”

“My own kind won’t talk to me so who am I supposed to talk to?”

“Your kind shuns you too. Maybe it’s the wings. I’ve never seen a boy fairy with brightly colored wings before.”

“I’ve never since a human with cat ears and a tail.”

“True, true.” Nardu sat down as the other did the same “What’s your family like?”

And so a friendship unlike any other began. In secret but still, they continued to meet like this for a few months.

“Why don’t you ever fly here?” Nardu asked one day.

“I can’t.” Sakda answered simply.

“What do you mean you can’t?”

“I can’t fly no matter how hard I try and I can’t.”

“Oh. My dad says that touching the wings of a fairy could lead to death. They say that Itzik Upen wings drip poison when he stands still and when he flies it leaves a deadly mist. What do yours do?”

“Nothing.” He sighed. His whole family possessed that kind of power. His father turned people to dust, his mothers turned them into insects and his did nothing.

“It can’t be that bad.” He paused “So I can touch them.”
“Sure.”

The blond smiled his fingers lightly traced the bright vibrant patterns of the wings “There beautiful you know that.”

“There not supposed to be.”

“But if they are this way what other way was meant for them.”

“They should be blacks and blues and deep purples not sky blue pale greens and yellow.”

“But there not so they were always going to be this way. What’s wrong with that?”

“Tell that to my father.” Sakda smirked bitterly.

“What.”

“He doesn’t even treat me like I’m a blood relative. He’s ashamed of me and will disown me in public.”

The blond was at a loss of word. His dad had always made sure or at least tried to make sure that he was treated fairly no matter what he look like. He paused hearing his dad's voice calling him. “That’s my dad. I gotta go but I’ll see you tomorrow.” He waved over his shoulder as he ran off.

“Bye.” Sakda headed towards his house slipping past his dad to his brothers room “Brother.”

“What?” Itzik grumbled flipping through a magazine.

“Is there a way to teach me to fly.”

“Did you ever try just flapping your wings.”

“Yes nothing worked.”

“Then what makes you think that I have some magical method that will work.”

Sakda shrugged “I just thought that…”

“So you were thinking again.”

“You know what forget it.” Sakda huff going back outside. He sat on the porch steps watching the other boys his age floating in the air with grace as they played a game of what he thinks they call air soccer. ‘Why can’t I be like that’ he thought remembering the first time the other kids refused to play with him. ‘Maybe I could dye my wings black or something…” A shadow fell over him and he looked up to see his father “Father,” he stood “Where are you going?”

“Meeting with the mortals, to finish writing a treaty.”

“There’s a treaty?”

“It’s a work in progress.”

“Can I come?”

“No, Itzik is ready coming with me.” At that moment Itzik flew out of the house hovering ten feet above the ground waiting patiently “Besides you won’t be able to keep up with us.”

“Please.” Sakda begged “I never go any were. Just this one time?”

“No means no.”

Fine, I just go jump off a cliff or something.”

“You have wings remember?”

“I can’t fly remember?” Sakda spat back frustrated. How can his father just say that he wouldn’t be able to keep up, implying that he remembers the fact that he couldn’t fly, and then tells him that he can fly? What the hell man!

“Kids.” The father mumbled under his breath “come on Itzik.”

Itzik watched his little brother retreating back noticing how the other kids stopped there game just to laugh at him “I’ll catch up.” He said as he took off to catch up with his little brother “Sakda!”

“What do you want?”

“Look.” Itzik landed in front of him “I’ll teach you how to fly.”

“Really?” Sakda looked at him skeptically.

“Really.”

“How.”

“The way dad taught me.”


“And he did that by….?”

“You’ll see when I get back.” He smiled as he took off after his dad leaving Sakda to choke on a cloud of dust.

Time skip


Sakda looked down seeing the actual height of the cliff “Are you sure this is safe?”

“Of course.”

“So you’re just gonna push me off and my fear of dying should teach me to… Ahhh!” Itzik cut him off by giving him a shove forward then took off him self following just to make sure nothing happened.

‘Any day now.’ He thought watching his brother struggle as the ground came closer and closer ‘S*** he’s not gonna do it’ he grabbed Sakda’s wrist pulling him up right before he hit the ground “You okay?” he asked looking at his brother who was crying.

“Y-yes.” He sniffled wiping away his tears “Can we just get back to the house now?”


Time skip


“You seem more out of it than usual.” Nardu pointed out.

“It’s nothing.” He sighed picking at the grass.

“Your dad again?”

“Kind of.”

The blond gave a hurt puppy face “You going to be alright?”

“Please just not right now.”

“You know you can talk to me about anything right?”

“Yes, I’m just not in the mood for talking.”

Nardu nodded ideally taking the others hand in his for comfort. Over the time that they started talking to each other they both noticed that some of there feelings are a little more than friendly. Neither of them wanted to push the limit though, not wanting to ruin the first real friend ship that either of them ever have. But it was hard to ignore the butterflies when ever they saw the other smile or heard them laugh.

The blond blushed from the thought of it, it seemed like Sakda liked him or at least enjoyed talking to him but he wasn’t quiet sure. He noticed how Sakda blushed as well his wings twinkling in content, the sound wasn’t the same as when he was sad, but were more like wind chimes lazily swinging in the breeze.

All it took was eye contact for bright blue to meet black and the blond found himself leaning forwards till he meet the other half way in a gentle kiss. They both just stared at each other afterwards before deciding to do it again a little longer this time. The only thing that stopped them was when Nardu stopped to say “I love you.” But now, for some reason Sakda looked up in horror. At first the panic was in Nardu’s mind that he did something wrong till he realized that Sakda was looking up not at him. “Sakda what’s wrong?”

“Nardu?” A shiver went up the boys’ spine and he tried to figure out how he didn’t feel the shadow looming over him causing his hair to stick up. He looked up to see his dad “Hi dad…”

A little bit later


The two fathers meet at the border line “I had no idea that this was going on either.” Ferzo, Sakda’s father, growled “Maybe you should of watch your son better.”

“My son always sits here your son is the one who sought him out.” Yona, Nardu’s dad, pointed out.

“It’s not my fault he wanders. Your kid didn’t have to talk to him.”

“Can’t he just stay with his own kind?”

“The other kids wont talk to him, you know that.”

Yona stopped to think for a bit “It’s the wing isn’t it. Brightly color… you can’t fly can you boy.” He asked addressing Sakda

“No sir.”

“Don’t go there.” Frezo growled through clenched teeth knowing were this was going. Sakda didn’t need to know this, and if he ever did learn he should learn it from the family.

“Touchy, touchy.” Yona scolded “It’s weird you defending your son when you disowned him for half his life, I actually didn’t know he excited till to day. But it makes sense; he’s not yours, is he?”

“Like your any better.”

“I accept my son for who he is. Besides the ears run in the family they only come out every one hundredth generation. But you to go as far as to hide your own child just so the rest of the world wouldn’t know that your wife cheated on you with a nymph and had a child with him is just sad.”

“What?” Sakda whispered “I’m a fairy nymph.” Fairy nymph was considered disgraceful fairies that usually came from affairs as a sigh of this the color of there wings were back wards for their gender and as punishment the couldn’t fly “I-I can’t be…” He remembered the time when he found a book on them at the age of five and asked his father if he was one but he had said no. And that same year he went to school was the same year that the lesson on fairy nymphs was taken out. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Not right now Sakda.”

“No I want to know, is that why your ashamed of me because, because I’m not really yours.”

‘We’ll talk about this when we get home.” Ferzo turned back to Yona “I don’t want your kid near my kid.”

“You think I want that either?” Yona looked at him in disgust.

“But dad,” Nardu piped in “You don’t let anyone discriminate against me, what’s so different about them.”

“Nardu, you wont get it.”

“That’s what I’m saying this makes no sense. He’s not causing anyone any harm so what the problem. Dad I really like him and he’s the first living thing to talk to me like an equal and not stare at my ears or my tail. Dad you can’t take that away from me.”

Yona sighed; the kid had a point “Fine, when ever he feels like it Sakda can cross the border but only Sakda.”

“And if I don’t agree?” Ferzo asked.

“Then keep him home or something, besides keeping them away from each other will just make them sneak around more. So just let it go, he’s happy so you should be happy.”

“Who said he was happy?”

“I am,” Sakda said “I am happy. I know that the odds of this lasting are slim but I want to give it a chance. Please?”

“Fine I don’t care.” And with that Ferzo took off and left.

“So,” Yona stared you want to come in?”

“Yes.” Sakda smiled when Nardu grasped his hand and lead him towards his home.


The author's comments:
This came to me in a dream I hope you all like it. And it's my first post so I'm jittery as I type this. Let me know if I have any errors.