Henningtom: Part 13 | Teen Ink

Henningtom: Part 13

October 9, 2010
By skyblue95 PLATINUM, Bear, Delaware
skyblue95 PLATINUM, Bear, Delaware
35 articles 1 photo 40 comments

Favorite Quote:
I am paraphrasing, of course. "My only fear is that when they are turned to loving they will find we are turned to hating." -Reverand Msimangu, Cry, The Beloved Country (a book by Alan Paton)


And just like that, I was on my way to a “cozy little cell”, awaiting Jiggleweed.

I was in my cell, sitting in a dark and dismal corner away from the bars that felt like it hadn’t been dusted in forever, when Sidle came padding over. At that moment, I had tears streaking my face, rolling down my cheeks like rain rolls down the window of a car, and I knew Sidle wanted to talk to me about Jiggleweed. As soon as I had her attention, I shook my head fiercely and backed away more, feeling that, at any moment, I would melt into the wall.

“I can’t,” I said. “Just leave me alone, for a few hours, please. I can’t handle anymore Henningtom stuff. I just can’t. So please, just please, go away and leave me to sulk for a while.”

“I can’t do that Maya,” Sidle said, sitting down near the bars and placing one massive paw resolutely on the other. “There are some things we need to talk about immediately, and we might not get this chance again.” I sighed, and moved forward a little away from the wall. “Thank you. I’m here because I needed to tell you some things I thought you might like to know.”

“Like?” I asked her. “Things about Henningtom?”

“Yes, things about Henningtom.”

“Okay. What things?”

“Well, for starters, your relations here.”

“My relations?” My eyes narrowed and I looked at her through the slits in them. If I hadn’t been suspicious before, I was now.

“Yes. Why do you think these nortles have brought you here and believe it so important that you be captured? You have special relations here.”

“Okay. Who?”

“Well, Jiggleweed… He’s your brother.”

I think I would have swallowed my gum, had I been chewing on any.

“What?”

“Mhm. And one more person….” I moved my head forward with attitude, wordlessly telling her to explain. “Well… These nortles, the things you’ve been calling wox’s, they want you because…well, you’re the Queen’s daughter.”


The author's comments:
Continuaton...