Stars Guide Me | Teen Ink

Stars Guide Me

By EllieK. BRONZE, Wilmette, Illinois
EllieK. BRONZE, Wilmette, Illinois

"Not all who wander are lost"
JRR Tolkien

"Sometimes life sucks, so suck it up"
-ME

""We succeeded in taking that picture (from deep space), and if you look a it, you see a dot. Thats here. That's home. Thats us. On it, everyone you ever heard of

Prologue
Flashes, images, memories of years ago flood my mind. Me, a young girl, running, a battle, screaming, people fleeing the city, a giant monstrosity of a cruel army, someone sits me on a horse and off I go, speeding across the land, never to return. The horse ran me away to Areteaesia, exactly how far I’m not quite sure. There I have lived all my life. An outsider in this oddly different world. It’s pleasant, but not the same as my memories of what was my home, I presume. Our family there was very high-up and relatives to the king. My life working in a jewelry shop was much simpler and in a way I quite enjoyed it.

Chapter One-Attack on Areteaesia
I’m sixteen and my name is Calathiel. I am a woodland elf. Other than that I know nothing: not where I was born nor whether my parents were still alive. I have stayed my whole life in the trading port of Aretaesia, a relatively small coastal city. It is a rather pleasant life, I help out my Aunt Jade in her jewelry store. I do long to be back with my people though. I felt much more at ease there. Some would say I don’t exactly fit in with the humans. I was walking to Gwenyth, the herbalist’s shop, when I saw something slightly strange. There were boatfuls of the kings soldiers being imported into our city. I thought nothing of at the time, because there were usually some just patrolling borders and the like. I stepped into the warm air of the shop. It smelt like sweet cinnamon and the subtle scent of mint, like always. When I had told her what I wanted today, we began to talk. Gwenyth said that she had heard that our king had been usurped and that the evil was sending rampages on all the big cities and the coastal ports to gain control of the trade routes.

“You’ve got to be lying, that can’t be true. Why would our own king do this to the people of Aretaesia?”

“I don’t have a clue,” said Gwenyth, “but I got it from a trusted source. Here are the herbs you requested miss. Have a good night, and be careful.”

“I thank you, Gwenyth and same to you.” As I stepped out into the now dark night the fresh fall air blew my wavy auburn hair into my face. I sighed. My legs were tired and I had to now make the somewhat lengthy walk from Gwenyth’s herb shop on the far edge of our town back to my house, in the middle of the town. Just as I was approaching mid town, I was enveloped in chaos. There was fighting everywhere on the streets. It was between the soldiers of the king and our people. At first, I walked through, trying to avoid being hit by any stray swords, then broke into a run, trying to make it home. I’m a pretty swift runner so I was able to run through the bloody battlefield, trying not to look at people that I knew, fighting, some being slain. I reached my house and dashed in the back of the shop unseen. You could feel the panic level rising thick in the air even in our usually seamlessly calm household. My Aunt Jade was attempting to barricade the front entrance.

“What is going on here?” I asked, my voice in a panic and my face still pink from running.

“The king was overtaken by an evil force and now he is invading,” Jade said quickly. “Here, take this: some food, water, and other provisions. Take your bow and sword as well. You might have some need of them. Go, now. Run.”

“Where? Why? Will I ever see you again?” were my desperate and confused inquires.

“You must go west, to the near city of Gaelin. I will have someone trusted, an old friend, meet you there, you will be safe. Now, you must go immediately.”

“Aye. I shall do your bidding,” I said

I was sent running away from the place that I had called home for the second time in my life. I saw some silent tears fall from my Aunt’s eyes while I was speeding away into the black night and felt some tears of my own fall down my pale white skin.

"This just came to my head one day and I started writing"

shayna101 SILVER, Carlsbad, California
this was really intresting. you have a very unique and creative imagintaion. I usually don't like fantasy or sci-fi writing so i wasn't too intrested on the story, but the actual writing was fabulous. Excellent details and perfect dialouge. It flowed very nicely. Deffinily keep writing :)

EllieK. BRONZE said...
EllieK. BRONZE, Wilmette, Illinois

"Not all who wander are lost"
JRR Tolkien

"Sometimes life sucks, so suck it up"
-ME

A NOTE FROM THE AUTHOR: PLEASE DO NOT READ THIS VERSION. GO BACK TO MY PROFILE AND READ THE EDITED VERSION. THANK YOU FOR COMPLYING WITH MY REQUEST.

PieGirl said...
PieGirl, Grayslake, Illinois
wow this was pretty good, nice idea too! i liked it. descriptive too

OfficialApprover PLATINUM, Orefield, Pennsylvania

Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
We cannot change the cards we're dealt just how we play the hand
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted
It's pretty easy to be smart when you're parroting smart people
-Randy Pausch

This was excellent, very well-written and interesting, great plot-line, and nice descriptions.  Excellent job.:D

YOUR WELCOME. I HOPE THE COMMENTS HELP YOU IN SOME WAY WITH THE OTHER VERSION TOO.

EllieK. BRONZE said...
EllieK. BRONZE, Wilmette, Illinois

"Not all who wander are lost"
JRR Tolkien

"Sometimes life sucks, so suck it up"
-ME

THANK YOU FOR THE COMMENTS. I WOULD HAVE RATHER HAD YOU READ THE OTHER VERSION OF THIS, BUT, HEY, IT'S MY FAULT FOR NOT SPECIFYING.

I like the way you introduced the piece… sorta. The parallel structure was overdone. I’d change the first sentence to something as simple as “I remember…” and then merge it with the other one. Other than that it kind of works. Short and sweet, nice little introduction and a decent hook.

You use the word “pleasant” too much. You’re always saying “it was pleasant. This was pleasant. That life was pleasant” mix it up a little with other ways of saying the same thing, or better yet, create a nostalgic tone that makes the reader feel how pleasant that life was instead of telling them “oh yeah it was pleasant.” Try that especially in the prologue for a MUCH more effective introduction. Go into detail with a nostalgic tone about all her background info maybe. Or maybe you just want to keep the prologue as a memory. But no matter where you put this nostalgic tone, make sure you have it instead of “the past was pleasant”

“soldiers importing” If you’re describing their arrival, that’s not the right word to use. If you’re describing the fact that soldiers came and stay, GREAT job.

“I’m a pretty swift runner so I was able to run through the bloody battlefield, trying not to look at people that I knew, fighting, some being slain.”

A couple minor things about this sentence: first of all find a better word for “bloody” because it’s not a good adj and makes “bloody battlefield” look like a british curse or something lol. Secondly, put a period after “battle” (no puns intended haha) Then get rid of that passive voice and change it to “I tried not to look at the people I knew who were fighting, some dying.” Take out “being slain” because it just doesn’t fit. It’s passive tense and in my opinion, “slain” is a word that is obsolete or should be used in ways such “those who took up arms against the king were slain” stuff like that. Gotta give you props for the emotion you drew from such a small sentence though! That she is trying not to look at people she knows fighting and dying is really something that draws empathy to your protagonist from the reader.

“reached my house and dashed in the back of the shop unseen. You could feel the panic level rising thick in the air even in our usually seamlessly calm household.”

You don’t need “unseen” here I don’t think, because the reader can assume that since there’s nobody around or speaking that the elf chick was found. I also think “in” should be “to the back” (not sure though) Also, “You could feel the panic level…” this sentence needs some work. I’m not really a fan of it altogether but if you must keep it, introduce her Aunt Jade prior to the sentence, and then replace the “You” with “The panic level rose” or “I/We could feel…”

“I asked, my voice in a panic and my face still pink from running.” Take out “my voice in a panic” because if the reader can’t tell the elf chick is panicking, the reader is not reading. I would also say “my face flushed (pink, red, color of choice here) from running.”

“were my desperate and confused inquires.” Just delete that.

“Aye. I shall do your bidding,” does this fit along with the rest of the dialogue and the narration? Not really.

“black night” could just be night because I can’t think of any other color that night might be. Even if you’re going for some kind of symbolic contrast between the night (black) and her pale white skin, you can take out “black” and “white” because they are unnecessary adjs.

simon cowell feedback--you asked for it!

Overall I’d say this story says a lot about you as a writer. It shows your interest in fantasy, it shows that you are intelligent, and it shows that you are a pretty good writer. But this piece looks very much like a rough draft by a good writer who didn’t look at it very carefully. Either that or it shows someone who is becoming a good writer and experimenting with different techniques but nonetheless on the right path, but still has some nasty habits. The two things that you should work on most are the following: making sure that you don’t make things blatantly obvious to the reader by saying something like “the sky is dark outside in the black night.” Always remember that the reader usually should know what you meant by something unless that something was particularly confusing and in need of clarification. I didn’t see anything like that in this piece.  

The other thing is: don’t try to throw in words or phrases like “Aye. I shall do your bidding.” and “slain” that sound medieval just to give your story flavor, because it gives it a cheesy and corny bad flavor that doesn’t fit with the good language that you already have. Either always speak medieval (but lets face it, who wants to read something that sounds too much like Shakespeare, and who can actually write like that?) Or don’t do it at all.

The next post is my notes; specifics that I went over while reading this piece. Some of them might sound harsh--nothing personal lol. This is simon feedback and I see a lot of people making the same mistakes A LOT so dont worry :)

AQuietPerson SILVER, Columbus, Pennsylvania

"You have such a unique way with words"

-Mrs. Peterson

I agree tenses are confusing. This was very interesting. I didn't see any major problems in it. when i'm reading someone else's work i can always see how i'd write it and this was good i wou;dn't want much change in it other then a little more detail and surroundings and what not would make it easier for the reader to picture where the characters are. (:

EllieK. BRONZE said...
EllieK. BRONZE, Wilmette, Illinois

"Not all who wander are lost"
JRR Tolkien

"Sometimes life sucks, so suck it up"
-ME

If you are reading this, go back and read the other version. Thanks!

Caitlyn_ilovesoftball GOLD, Douds, Iowa

"Hello Cat-i-lynn Mill-ard-o," -friends
"Stop saying that!! My name ain't Cat-i-lynn Mill-ard-o!!" -Me
"Okay, fine, Hello Cat."-friends
(GRRRRR)
----Also----
"You a turtle on steroids!"-friends
"Hahaha, I know" -ME

I like it!  I really dont know what to comment but to say, "TWO THUMBS UP"!!!!

We-R-3 BRONZE said...
We-R-3 BRONZE, Orlando, Florida

A picture is worth a thousand words, however it takes a real artist to turn words into pictures.

Have you heard about the new Lebron Iphone, you have to set it on vibrate because it doesn't have any rings

I really like it and don't worry about grammer, I've been known to have a really good story with hundreds of grammatical errors, THAT IS WHAT EDITORS ARE FORfor the talented authors that don't need to worry about the petty rules of grammer.

Now to the actual story, it was very good, I normally do not like prolouges but this was a very decent hook, I look forward to more.

EllieK. BRONZE said...
on Jun. 2 2010 at 6:15 am
EllieK. BRONZE, Wilmette, Illinois

"Not all who wander are lost"
JRR Tolkien

"Sometimes life sucks, so suck it up"
-ME

THERE IS A BETTER VERSION IN THE WRITING FICTION FORUMS. I THINK SOME OF THE TENSE PROBLEMS ARE FIXED THERE.

THANKST

Amber_Lov3 GOLD, Hamden, Ohio

I Is me is I
I done did said what i said i wouldnt do!

I also agree on the tenses. use flashbacks they help in the swicthing in the tenses

katie-cat GOLD said...
katie-cat GOLD, McClellandtown, Pennsylvania

"Look after my heart, I've left it with you."- Edward Cullen
"To love another person is to see the face of God . . ."- Les Miserables
"Don't say the old lady screamed. Bring her out and let her scream." - Mark Twain

Okay, I see potential in you.  This story is very unique and interesting.  But it sort of confused me a little.  It seemed rushed.  Another thing is that you should watch your grammar.  I saw one huge run-on sentence in the beginning, and you used the work smelt when you wanted to use smelled.  (Smelt is a fish, I think, although I have been known to make that mistake as well.)  All in all it wasn't too bad.  Keep writing. :) 

EmptyMemories BRONZE, Gardner, Massachusetts

"Don't tell people how to do something. Tell them what to do and they'll surprise you with their ingenuity."

i like it and same suggestion as elizabethlaura :)

justsmile164 BRONZE, New York, New York

"Talent is nothing without character."

this is a cool story! just watch your tenses though - you switched between past and present a few times :)