Spyder: A One-Shot Story | Teen Ink

Spyder: A One-Shot Story

April 17, 2010
By Sakuya PLATINUM, Richmond, Virginia
Sakuya PLATINUM, Richmond, Virginia
39 articles 12 photos 63 comments

My name is Spyder and I am left to walk the night alone. I protect the world of light, even if they don’t know it.

Walking along the rooftops of Chicago I watch over my city from the shadows. I can’t help but lick my fangs in anticipation for the rush of fighting, and I crouch and wait outside a club. My midnight hair hangs on my face as I tilt my head to see. It’s pitch black out, but I can see just fine.
Yet, the glare from the windows makes it harder to see the faces of people. One particular face catches my eye. A beautiful girl with spicy red hair and deep brown eyes sits nervously at the bar. There’s a drink in front of her, but she hasn’t touched it. I have a feeling she is too young to be here, so what’s she doing at a club in the first place? I tilt my head to the side in wonder as she stays in her seat.



Flipping gracefully down to the ground, I land on all fours and think, “I’m way better than Spider Man!” Looking down at myself I pull on my trench coat over my black body suit, and remind myself not to let anyone see my red eyes. Plus if anyone did, they’d become my prey.

Walking in I sit at the end of the bar and decline the offer of a drink. “I can’t believe they let another minor in here,” I think glancing at the red-head. She smiles at me and walks over.

“What are you doing her at a club?” I ask her and she flinches.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” she defends, but I know she’s lying. We both know. I smirk and she flinches again. “So what are you doing here?”

“What about you?” I ask again, still smirking. When she doesn’t answer me I yank her out of her seat and start going toward the door. “This.” I take her out of the door and down the alley until she pulls her hand free.

“I was waiting for you. I knew that you’ve fought many people before from that club so I wanted to see if I could meet you.” I jumped back a few feet and turned away.

“How’d she know who I was? Man, I’m slipping,” I think, cursing at my own stupidity. She walks over to me and tucks my hair behind my ear so she can see my face. I turn in shame, closing my eyes. Since my hair is so long, it normally covers my face, so I don’t wear a mask. I curse at that too, shying away.

“I don’t want to hurt you,” I say lowly barring my fangs.

“It’s Spyder right? I want to help you,” she says, but I stay turned away, despite her urging me to face her. “Look, I may not be able to help you fight but I know one thing you need. A friend because you’re always alone, so let me be your friend.” I hiss and glare at her.
But she doesn’t shy away, actually she smiles. My eyebrows shoot up and my ash pale face turns red. She laughs and I get even more embarrassed. So she lets my hair fall back on my face, covering my blush. I nod and she gives me a questioning noise.

“I’ll let you be my friend, but I warn you, I’m new to this friendship thing. Don’t expect much.”

“You’re as sarcastic as I’ve heard.”

“No, I’m being serious, you’re my first friend. You can live the night with me and go with me as I defend, just stay out of my way.”

“Alright, but I can’t jump roof-tops like you can,” she warns me looking up at the roof-tops above us. I smirk and push my hair away so I can see her.

“I didn’t catch your name,” I say picking her up so I can jump onto the roof-top and get on with my patrol.

“It’s Molly.”

“Not anymore, that’s a boring name. I’m going to rename you. How about Diana? I like mythology.”

“I like Artimis better, and first rule of friendship Spyder, don’t be bored with everything about me. I’m not a super hero.” I shrug, but nod anyways. So Artimis is my first friend I ever made. I laugh and start to run on the roof-tops looking over my, no, our city.


The author's comments:
Well I wasn't inspired by Spider Man, I'll tell you that. I love nightlife and so I thought it would be interesting to write a short about a super teen that does to.