A Scream in the Darkness | Teen Ink

A Scream in the Darkness

March 24, 2010
By -MidnightAngel- GOLD, A Field Of Paper Flowers, California
-MidnightAngel- GOLD, A Field Of Paper Flowers, California
11 articles 47 photos 110 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?"


I opened my eyes to discover only darkness. My eye lids were heavy as I looked around, trying to spot something other then black.
‘Where am I?’ I thought, as panic started to invade my consciousness. I tried to remember how I had gotten here, but to no avail. ‘I was fighting with my boyfriend,’ I thought, trying to calm my frantic breathing. ‘Did I really drink enough to pass out?’
I tried to sit up, only to be forced back down by a wave of dizziness and pain. I touched the back of my head, trying to locate the source of my agony. Warm liquid fell on my hand when I made contact. It took me a minute to realize it was blood. I held my hand out in front of me to confirm my fear. Shock over took me when I looked at my blood stained fingers. They were glowing, as if a light were shining on them.
“Hello!” I shouted as loud as I could in the darkness. My own voice sounded foreign to me, like I was yelling underwater. I sat there, for what seemed like an eternity, waiting for a response. Tears started to blur my vision as I realized that I was alone. Completely and totally alone.
My sobs were cut short when I thought I heard someone whispering. I strained my ears trying to decipher their muffled words. ‘There’s two of them!’ I thought with excitement. I ignored my pain and jumped up. ‘Can anyone hear me?!’ I yelled as loud as I could. I ran blindly through the darkness, trying to hold on to some tiny scrap of hope I had left.
Exhaustion finally forced me to stop. ‘How can I run for this long, and yet never get closer or farther to the voices?’ I thought with confusion. I stood there for a minute, trying to rationalize my situation, ‘I could be in a coma,’ I thought desperately, ‘or I could just be dreaming.’
I was snapped out of my thoughts when I heard a voice loud enough to be standing right next to me, “It was obviously blunt force trauma,” the voice said. I was blinded by a flash of light. I hid my eyes behind my hands until they adjusted. Reluctantly, I let my hands drop. I was in a room full of people. Most of them were cops, but some of them I knew. I looked around the room, trying to identify my surroundings. Shocked, I realized I was in my apartment.
Two cops walked by me towards the door. I watched them go by and noticed that they were leading my handcuffed boyfriend between them. They were almost to the door when my big sister walked out of my bedroom. “You killed her! You killed her!” She screamed through tears as he walked by. Her husband walked out next to her and hugged her comfortingly. “Emily,” I asked as I walked to her, “who did he-” I stopped dead as I looked behind her.
I walked slowly into my room. Warily, I approached a large lump laying at the end of my bed. A white sheet was covering it. I took a deep breath and kneeled down next to it. ‘Ok relax,’ I thought to myself, ‘it’s not going to be me.” I braced myself and uncovered it.
I screamed and fell backwards. “This can’t be real! This isn’t happening!” I screamed. I started sobbing violently when the realization hit me that I was the one he had killed, I was the one who had died of ‘blunt force trauma’, and that I was dead.
Once I had calmed my frantic breathing, I shakily stood up. I staggered over to my desk and sat down, holding my head in my hands. After a minute, I raised my head and looked at myself in my mirror, sending a new wave of tears flowing down my face. The mirror was empty.
“I can’t be dead!” I screamed defiantly, “He couldn’t have killed me! He wouldn’t! He loves me!” I slammed my fists on the table as hard as I could, sending papers and pictures flying. The people in the room jumped back in alarm at the unexplainable noise. I heard the cop standing next to me say to his partner, “This place is giving me the creeps, it’s like its haunted or something lets hurry up and get out of here.”
‘That’s it!’ I thought, a new emotion took the place of denial. Vengeance. ‘If I can’t live, then neither can he.’
Hours passed before my apartment was finally empty. My anger was only intensified when I saw the pain and anguish on my sister’s face when she left. ‘I’ll wait as long as I have to to kill him.’ I thought to myself over and over.

And I have waited. I’m still waiting. Years have passed since that day, but the emotions are still just as fresh. New tenants have moved in, but none of them have lasted more than a year. The funny thing about being dead is that you never forget anything. I still remember the sadness I felt when my sister walked to my dead body, hugged me, and told me that she would always love me. I remember the emptiness I felt when the coroner carried me away.
People wonder what death is like; it’s darkness, emptiness, and fear. Enjoy life, embrace it, and take it from somebody who knows, you never know what you have until it’s gone.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 18 comments.


on Aug. 17 2011 at 9:15 am
lucygirl26 GOLD, Greensboro, North Carolina
11 articles 0 photos 68 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life is like a bowl of spaghetti. Every once in a while, you get a meatball." - Sharon Creech

Extremely intense but in a good way! I love how it's just so interesting and I couldn't tear my eyes away from the computer! It's great, that's all I have to say. Another favorite!

on Nov. 15 2010 at 7:01 pm
Healing_Angel SILVER, Sydney, Other
8 articles 2 photos 509 comments

Favorite Quote:
Live for today, not for tomorrow

I really like this! Well written and fast paced. You have talent! I love how you hid the fact she was dead til the end and the realistic portrayal of what happens when your dead. Well done.   

on May. 14 2010 at 5:17 pm
Just.A.Dream SILVER, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
7 articles 0 photos 430 comments

Favorite Quote:
Part of the J7X team. :)

I knew I would like it!

Wow, I've thought about what it would be like to be dead, but never like this.

This is an awesome plot, you should write more to it! :)


SirSeba BRONZE said...
on Apr. 16 2010 at 12:28 pm
SirSeba BRONZE, Marysville, California
1 article 9 photos 23 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Just because you can, doesnt always mean you should" ~ achreon

this is wonderful! I love how you ended it with the whole life lesson thing. In a way it is like "The lovely bones" but in my opinion, this was much much better.

on Apr. 15 2010 at 10:37 pm
--LoveHappens--, Fairfield, Connecticut
0 articles 0 photos 342 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A friend is someone who knows you, but loves you anyway"

Wow I really enjoyed this pieces it was exciting and suspensful. I would live it if you read my work called "What is Death? Or What is Life?" I think you would enjoy it based on the last line of your story. Thanks just leave a comment and rate thanks and great job!!!

on Apr. 15 2010 at 10:10 pm
Pitiful_Anonymous PLATINUM, New Cumberland, West Virginia
22 articles 0 photos 75 comments

Favorite Quote:
"and all you f***ers go beep beep beep in cheap,plastic cars. If It's to dumb to see or say you'll still sing it, and I'll just cue the applause" - Marilyn Manson

I agree this is very good... awesome even... And hey, if your into creepy stuff, check out my work (if its up yet) and rate/ comment please :D

on Apr. 15 2010 at 8:05 pm
SarClark BRONZE, NC, Connecticut
2 articles 0 photos 534 comments

*Shivers* freaky.... This was very good, yet strangely it made me want to pray :)

Great job, this sorta reminded me of 'The Lovely Bones', at least the book version. 

Amazing!! 


Tigerlily said...
on Apr. 11 2010 at 7:35 pm
That was creepy.  I liked how you tied it up in the end and left the reader with the message that life is a blessing.  A really great "have them at the edge of your seat" read!

on Apr. 9 2010 at 9:16 pm
all_boys_hate_me BRONZE, Miamisburg, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 18 comments
this was awesome. I loved it

Falling GOLD said...
on Apr. 9 2010 at 12:42 am
Falling GOLD, Bellingham, Washington
15 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
My weakness is, I care to much. And the scars remind us, the past is real, I tear my heart open, just to feel.

wow this was intense. Eally good stuff. the POV is really intresting, but you amde it work really well, i wouldn't have guessed that she woudl have died in teh beggining. You really have somthing here and i think you coudl keep going with it. bravo!!

JeanGrey GOLD said...
on Apr. 8 2010 at 8:59 pm
JeanGrey GOLD, Mason City, Iowa
10 articles 0 photos 258 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."-Oscar Wilde

*claps* Very awesome!!!!! Interesting, it kept me hooked the whole time.:)

on Apr. 5 2010 at 11:37 pm
neonknight01 SILVER, Madison, Mississippi
8 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
to each, his own.

i like it... its gritty, realistic. veddy nice!

on Apr. 5 2010 at 10:17 pm
Sandywolf BRONZE, Elk Horn, Kentucky
3 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
We're on a bridge!

At first I was thinking, 'Autopsy room?' But I like this just as much C:

I'm thinking that there could be a lot more to this. Maybe a short novella?


GangstaG0 GOLD said...
on Apr. 4 2010 at 10:25 am
GangstaG0 GOLD, Deer Park, New York
12 articles 0 photos 1 comment
I really enjoyed this.  The only thing I would change was perhaps the line where you said, It wasn't going to be me under the sheet.  It would be really strong to let the reader say omg! it's her.  Give them a little something more to be shocked about, b/c I felt like once you mentioned it being you, I already knew who had died.  haha other than that I loved it.

on Apr. 4 2010 at 12:38 am
Loveandboxing PLATINUM, Levvitwon, Pennsylvania
29 articles 0 photos 70 comments

Favorite Quote:
Eat, Sleep, Sing (by me)
Writing is an art few people master it. -me

omg . . . u r aweosme the stuff you write is sooo . . .creepy . . . i love it . . . i shouldnt hav read this thou its really late. . . and now im scared to sleep! BUT I LOVE IT! WRITE MORE!!

on Apr. 3 2010 at 3:27 pm
Ilovehyphens SILVER, Modesto, California
5 articles 0 photos 8 comments
I can relate to the thinking about death... It is such a mystery... The only thing we know is that we don't come back to life :) Beyond that is either nothingness, oblivion, or eternal happiness. Anyway take care and continue to write; I'll be sure to enjoy more of your work soon? (If it doesn't post we will just swap!)

on Apr. 3 2010 at 3:17 pm
-MidnightAngel- GOLD, A Field Of Paper Flowers, California
11 articles 47 photos 110 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?"

You know, I'm really not sure what made me write this:-/

I was just thinking about what happens after you die, and thought, "Hey, I could make a short story out of that":-D

Oh and thank you for your great comment:)


on Apr. 3 2010 at 2:09 pm
Ilovehyphens SILVER, Modesto, California
5 articles 0 photos 8 comments
My god you can write! I love the twist... The blood and light in your work reminded me of a poem written by Billy Collins. It's called "On Turning Ten"... (What inspired you to write this?) 5/5