The Hand in the Water | Teen Ink

The Hand in the Water

By MAC-HAB GOLD, Wyndmere, North Dakota
MAC-HAB GOLD, Wyndmere, North Dakota

"You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." -Christopher Robin

I run my fingers through my hair as I look through the window. I see the same view that has been here for generations. Rising and falling waves that sing oneself to sleep, golden sands littered with shells, a brown dock which acts like a bridge to a whole new world, and trees that reach so high they hug the sky. And here I am, Looking at all of this in its splendor. I notice something strange in the water. A shadow, without a cloud in the sky or on the horizon. I notice it moving, shrinking then growing. It is as if it was alive. I wait, my eyes glued to the water I know so well. Every blade of seaweed I know of, but I have never seen this. It is night and no one is swimming at this hour. Against my better judgment, I ran out the door and onto the dock. A hand reaches up from the waves. The owner of the hand's skin is as dark as navy. I kneel down as the hand still stays. I grab the hand, drawn to it. Something feels familiar in an odd way. Suddenly, the hand grabs tight and pulls me into the liquid star light. I feel the cool water rush down my back as a sting hits my eyes. Little did I know what was about to happen.

This is a short story I wrote. I leave the ending to your imagination! I'm sorry if you expected an ending, but I don't have one! Whether the main character becomes a long missing rulers air or a kick butt warrior for good, it is up to you!