Knitting Away Time | Teen Ink

Knitting Away Time

December 9, 2021
By Mad360 BRONZE, Undefined, Illinois
Mad360 BRONZE, Undefined, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Two old women sit in their rocking chairs knitting away with their knitting needles, focused on their craft. Hands working fast and meticulously making sure to finish their items on time. The two old women have a vast many items scattered around their porch that they have finished. A variety of scarves with intricate designs, hats with big puffy pompoms, gloves that fit all types of hands, blankets that you could get lost in because of its coziness are floating around the untidied porch the old wooden planks look as though they’re ready to crack under more weight. With a few scattered sweaters, socks, and stuffed plushies piled on top of the monstrous piles of assorted pieces. Their collection is forever growing and will mystically decrease in size some days after they return from tea. Nevertheless, they enjoy what they do.

“How long have you been at that one now Elaine? I feel like you’ve been at it long enough.”

“Oh you hush now Saule, I think I can knit this one a bit longer.”

“Please, it’s near the end already, why push it any further.”

“Fine, fine Saule. I’ll leave these old gloves and start a new, hmmm. Blanket, yes, a blanket.” When the old woman discards the gloves to the side, below them an old man says goodbye to his family. A warm smile on his face as the man lays to rest, his soul-lifting into the heavens passing the two old women as they continue to knit.

You see the old women don’t know the importance of their many different creations, but the gods do; treasuring or trashing them as they please. The old women are just happy that they can knit and talk together.


The author's comments:

This is a short story based on The Fates from Greek Mythology.