Afterlife | Teen Ink

Afterlife

“Lay me to rest, my eyes, mouth, and ears. For I want to be held in death’s arms.” murmured Corpus. As she began to crawl across the moonlit floor, she finally lay in the middle of the cold room. “I’m no longer stronger than strong, please take me away.”. She quietly wept. The faint sound of bare feet on the linoleum floor, slowly approached Corpus. “Come lay with me.”. Anima knelt down and held out her skeletal hand. Corpus did not move. As Anima leaned over to pick up Corpus, she finally turned to look at her. “Okay” Corpus said as she observed Anima's gaunt face in the light. 

“You need to be well rested, for tomorrow we have to travel up the mountain.” Anima whispered as she tried to put Corpus to sleep. “I don’t want to keep going, I can’t.”. “Yes you can, once we reach the tip top we will all be granted with our wish. Then you don’t have to think about how tired you are ever again.”. 

“Wake them up, we need to get going.” said Mens to Vita. Vita began up the stairs. By the time Vita reached the top, Corpus and Anima walked out of the room. “God, you two look like death. What happened?”. “I wish-” Corpus huffed as she passed Vita. “Has that brain of yours finally decomposed to a thick black sludge? Think before you speak, you know how she is!”. “Sorry, you know I didn’t mean it that way.” Vita said back. “Whatever, we have a long day ahead of us, let's get ready.”. As they both walked down the stairs, the old wooden floor yelped with each step.

After their long and silent breakfast, Mens finally got enough courage to break the silence. “So, everyone has got their stuff together?”. The silence grew stronger. “Answer me! Whatever happened up those stairs does not matter. WOOSH! Gone. Forget about it. We can’t work together without any

I was inspired to write this short story from reading dystopian stories in class.