His flame | Teen Ink

His flame

By Kenzielee SILVER, Farmers Branch, Texas
Kenzielee SILVER, Farmers Branch, Texas

"sometimes painful things can teach us lessons that we didn't think we needed to know."- anonymous

I've always loved fire. The way the flames dance without a care in the world. Its destructive nature makes it feared by many. But once you see beyond the initial danger you start to notice the beauty. Standing here today. Watching the flames rise from the safety of my mountain, I feel a sense of peace. A peace in knowing that the world will be new again. A peace in knowing that a new era has begun.

A voice cuts through my haze of bliss.” You knew…. Didn't you?”. Turning I see the young king bloody and beaten but standing nonetheless. “Why ask a question you already know the answer to?” I say pushing back the faint ping of guilt I feel deep within my soul. “I could have saved them if i only had known, If you would have told me!” he shouts allowing a single tear to escape and roll down his check. “It doesn't matter if I knew or not, This….” I say pointing to the fiery abyss below ”...had to happen” .“Why couldn't you have told me?” I give a slight sad chuckle ``''because I knew you would try to stop it”. He takes a staggering step forward and I flinch slightly, thinking he might try to reach for me. He takes one more pained look at me and then turns away. “You know I can't let you leave” I say, hating myself for what I was about to do. “I know…” he says “I just wish I could take you away from all of this”. “And i wish you would stop worrying about me even after all these years”. “I'll always worry about you, my flame”. I turn away to hide the tears that are gathering in my eyes. It's been years since anyone has called me that and it breaks my heart to hear him say it one last time. “ I'm going to fix this..” I say more to myself than him . “I know you will,” he states with hopeful eyes. “I'm sorry…..” turning i plunged my dagar deep into his heart. The heart that I once craved to be loved by now falling limp to the ground. I summon my shadows to lift him up. Brushing the hair from his eyes, I take my last look at the man I once loved. I take a deep breath and command them to throw him into the abyss below.

Standing on my mountain I still feel a sense of peace. But not the same kind as before. Where I once felt at peace in my plan, I am now comforted by his words. “I'm going to fix this,” I repeat to myself. Looking out at the destruction I allowed, I am now more sure than ever that my plan will succeed.” I know you will” running through my mind. It must succeed…. For him.