Precipitation and Greek Mythology | Teen Ink

Precipitation and Greek Mythology

December 14, 2018
By mijomarioo BRONZE, Modesto, California
mijomarioo BRONZE, Modesto, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

In the second millenia of the Titan age, a thousand years after the Titans had overthrown their father Ouranos, they had become rulers of the world. Two of Gaea’s children, Tethys and Oceanus, are the main reason we have rain. Tethys and Oceanus found a baby titan, but could not find their parents, so they took her in and raised her as their own. They named her Rayna, and loved her just as much as any of their other children. She was beautiful, with big, full ocean blue eyes, and Aphrodite-like features. She loved nature, and would spend every moment she could playing with her grandma Gaea. Because Gaea was the earth, she would shape things and made the earth Raynas play place. Gaea was Rayna’s best friend, even though she was the one who was different from all the other kids.

Rayna grew up and fit right in with their family. She was loved by all the titans, and her brethren too. But one day she went missing, and no one had any idea where she was. Tethys and Oceanus searched the world for her, but could not find anything so they called upon their mother, Gaea. She told them that she found some remains of Rayna, and the thing that ripped Rayna to pieces and spread her across the world was a small, but powerful manifestation of Ouranos. Ouranos did this because of his bitterness and resentment towards the Titans for what they had done to him. Enraged and sorrowful, they confronted Ouranos and completely obliterated him in anger and grief.

When it rains, Tethys and Oceanus are weeping for their loss of their daughter, Rayna. The reason why rain comes from the sky is because the remains of Ouranos felt horrible for what he did, so every time he discovers Tethys and Oceanus weeping, he remembers the unspeakable act he committed, and gathers their tears and his combined. When he goes back up to the sky, he takes their tears with him as a reminder of what he did and spreads them across the world where the humans have lost someone. Ouranos named their tears rain in honor of Rayna who he unrightfully destroyed and took from their family. Beauty sometimes ends in tragedy, but time heals everything.