Dirty Laundry | Teen Ink

Dirty Laundry MAG

April 2, 2009
By Zero_K DIAMOND, Moosic, Pennsylvania
Zero_K DIAMOND, Moosic, Pennsylvania
83 articles 0 photos 435 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life's no fun if you're not insane, otherwise you grow up to be an accountant." -Moi


He is your world. He is the one you would live and die for. You love the color of his skin – different from yours – the perfect balance between light and dark, day and night. You love the way he tells you he loves you. He says he'll marry you someday.

But your mom does not approve. You wonder every day how anyone can be so bigoted. Has she not felt the way you do at some point in her life? She doesn't understand, just rants and raves about your “taste in men” in that nasally voice you hate – the one she only uses when she's angry.

Later you sit on your bed, and turn up the volume on your iPod. “All the Same” by the Sick Puppies blasts through the ear buds.

Wrong or right … black or white … if I close my eyes … it's all the same.

Your mom has forbidden you from seeing him again, and Dad's taken to keeping a shotgun in the living room.

In my life … the compromise … I'll close my eyes … it's all the same.

You remember telling him you were afraid but that you wouldn't stop seeing him. He asked you to run away with him, just drop everything and run, figure it out as you went. But you said you wanted to wait and see if it would blow over. The look in his eyes was sad, as if he knew your parents would never accept him.

You hop off your bed and start shoving clothes into an duffel bag, making a trip to the bathroom for your toothbrush. You head to your desk and stare blankly at a piece of paper, pencil in hand. You write a quote that has been in your heart from the minute your parents told you that you were making a big mistake. It's short, but it's all you need to say.

You head down the hall to the laundry room. Your mom has piles of clothes on the floor, organized by color. You grab bits from every pile and toss them to the middle, creating a mound no longer separated into lights and darks.

Green, yellow, red, blue, black, white – all heaped into one huge pile. You lay your message on the top. It doesn't say who you're with or where you're going, but it wouldn't be hard to figure out.

“Laundry is the only thing that should be separated by color.”



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 455 comments.


on Jun. 14 2011 at 10:24 am
Julia.ciel BRONZE, New York, New York
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Usually I hate reading romance fiction- I mean, it's pretty clear that most of the people writing it have never been on a date. And to be honest, when I started reading this I was going to stop, but continued because it was so short.

And your ending blew me away.

Keep writing, this is fantastic!


on Jun. 14 2011 at 9:05 am
msoccerm345 SILVER, Grimes, Iowa
7 articles 0 photos 68 comments

Favorite Quote:
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

this is an amazing piece of writing. i love it. i think that my parents would do the same exact thing if i were to date someone of a different race, they already hate the guy i am totally in love with and he is the same color as me. they hardly ever let me see him and when they do, they dont trust us to be alone so someone else aways has to come with. i hate it. i think im old enough to know who i love and what is good for me. they just dont understand. thank you so much for writing this piece. it is beautiful and i love how you ended it with that quote. keep writing:) i will definately show this to my parents. thank you so much!

on Jun. 10 2011 at 5:58 pm
missscribbles SILVER, Paris, Other
6 articles 0 photos 25 comments
Wow...I'm having a jealousy fit right now.

on May. 23 2011 at 6:56 pm
Mojo4133 BRONZE, Tropy Club, Texas
3 articles 0 photos 30 comments

Favorite Quote:
“It's all fun and games, until someone looses an eye...than it's fun and games you can't see anymore.”
-James Hetfield

Color of skin has nothing to do with personality. And i took this message by heart. It was well written. =D

on May. 23 2011 at 9:25 am
Stefegg PLATINUM, Maysville, Missouri
21 articles 0 photos 78 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world."

This is amazing and conveys a message everyone should take to heart. My parents are racist. They claim they don't mind me having "black friends," yet if I bring one home they're scared something is going to get stolen.  They actually say they don't want me to date someone who's black because they don't want "little black grand babies." It's a sore subject in my house, but I know that if I fall inlove with someone of a different race, I'm not going to let my parents control it. 

on May. 23 2011 at 4:12 am
Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other
31 articles 6 photos 577 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Everything's a triangle." ~ My mother

"Write what you love, write what you care about, because sometimes, it's the easiest way to be heard."

Very well written. Simply amazing. Good job!!! I love it! :)

on May. 1 2011 at 6:31 pm
ashleyn PLATINUM, Zeeland, Michigan
39 articles 2 photos 64 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't take life to seriously, nobody makes it out alive anyways"-Unknown

That was Amazing! I loved it. I love your choice of words and your voice when you write. (:

LovelyWaves said...
on May. 1 2011 at 2:01 pm
WOW! That was amazing !! You have an awesome way with words! :) Keep writing! I want to know what happens next!!!!

JoPepper said...
on May. 1 2011 at 11:58 am

omigod

that was amazing is the last line your own quote? 'cause I love it!!!!!!!:O


SJ_101 said...
on May. 1 2011 at 11:40 am
SJ_101, Somewhere, New York
0 articles 0 photos 169 comments
I love it! It's so emotional and powerful. This is excellent and well-written. :)

on May. 1 2011 at 10:32 am
PaRaNoRmAl627 GOLD, Mountainside, New Jersey
15 articles 0 photos 296 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Do what you want. If it's something you'll regret in the morning, sleep late."

wow. that was extremely powerful. congratulations, this is amazingg

on May. 1 2011 at 1:58 am
Dango-chan BRONZE, Digos City, Other
3 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
Writing is my escape from reality.

awesome..

that's the only thing i could say..


on Apr. 22 2011 at 8:54 pm
twix.n.pixi.stix7 GOLD, Stewartsville, New Jersey
11 articles 0 photos 32 comments

Favorite Quote:
"you can dream big
or you can dream small
the important thing
is that you're dreaming at all"
~me! haha i wrote that :)

one word:

wow

that was amazing

(oops thats four...)


hehelexie said...
on Apr. 14 2011 at 2:13 pm
hehelexie, Chuluota, Florida
0 articles 1 photo 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"This is your world. Shape it or someone else will." - Gary Lew

This is beautiful. 

on Apr. 9 2011 at 8:27 pm
KitKatplusTwix BRONZE, Fremont, California
1 article 1 photo 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Why look for a prince when frogs are much more common?" Ellen Hopkins

Wow. I love IT.

on Apr. 9 2011 at 7:44 pm
icefireinsanity BRONZE, Gaston, South Carolina
3 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I would rather aim for the moon and kiss the stars than sit on the cusp of nothing and watch my life pass by."

Oh my god...

you are freaking amazing. i adore this piece SO much... you have expressed what's been on my mind for years in a way that no one can possibly scoff or rebuke...

simply too beautiful. I applaud you, sincerely and completely.


on Apr. 9 2011 at 6:42 pm
ripvansprinkle, West Chester, Ohio
0 articles 0 photos 16 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Smash the mirrors but avoid the pieces." - B. McNally

Amazing!!! The message was so powerfully conveyed! I love this piece, especially the ending!  Also, interesting how you wrote this in second person.  It really made me feel what the girl was feeling!  PLEASE, keep writing!

Hover BRONZE said...
on Apr. 9 2011 at 5:21 pm
Hover BRONZE, Mukwonago, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 85 comments

Favorite Quote:
Sophistication isn't what you wear or who you know
Or pushing people down to get you where you wanna go
They didn't teach you that in prep school, so it's up to me,
But no amount of vintage dresses gives you dignity.
~Taylor Swift
*Defy Gravity!*

So good I loved it so much! It's nice and short and to the point, but not too short... love it! <3

massacre said...
on Apr. 9 2011 at 1:31 pm
massacre, Lakewood, Washington
0 articles 0 photos 29 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Hate is a word for somebody you love but no longer believe in."

Story of my Mother's life. Great job.

Ryssa BRONZE said...
on Apr. 9 2011 at 1:27 pm
Ryssa BRONZE, Kennebunk, Maine
3 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
Don't think or judge, just listen. - Sarah Dessen, Just Listen

This was wonderful and beautiful. Good job!