Nebraska Love Story | Teen Ink

Nebraska Love Story

By annmariemeyer GOLD, Atkinson, Nebraska
annmariemeyer GOLD, Atkinson, Nebraska

“Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable.”-C.S. Lewis

Once upon a time there was a girl named Kaly Lilac Nash she was thrown in the asylum when she was two. The thing is she shouldn’t have been thrown in there in the first place. The only reason she was thrown in there was because she didn’t finish her green peas. Her parents were gone so the nanny had no one to stop her so all she had to do was tell them was that she was Kaly’s mother and what she did to disobey her and that was it. That was that and she had to go to the asylum to stay.

She was lonely until a young girl named Cloris she came with her aunt who was a witch if you were to ask me. She came at least twice a week to the asylum. While her aunt was in meetings Cloris gave out biscuits she made herself. Cloris was so nice that whenever it was Kaly’s birthday Cloris always gave Kaly a larger biscuit than the others because Cloris thought she was making a differences in Kaly’s life, Cloris had no idea of how much of a difference she had really made.

Once Cloris had escaped her evil aunt’s clutches and was free. Kaly never even heard from her for some time.
Then one day in the middle of July a letter came for her there was no return address. She quickly open it and read it, it was from Cloris it said that she had married a guy named Carl, and it had some money, a train ticket, and direction to her house in Nebraska. Kaly quickly thought up a plan to escape from the asylum.

Once her plan was set and all her things were in order she had to take action. She planned to escape when Cloris’s aunt had all the guards in the annual meeting for the guards. All she had to do was sneak into the kitchen to get food.

So she escaped the asylum and fled to the train station, but the problem was that the next train didn’t come until another hour. Kaly hadn’t considered that the train would be there when she got there. She did what anyone would do in her dilemma, she waited, but every time something moved she flinched. Once the train came she was so grateful she ran on to the train with great pleasure that she almost hit the train conductor who was asking for her ticket. She had to spend about a week traveling on the train then two days on a stagecoach. On her adventure on the train ride she endured everything from rude old grandmas, who were being forced in their eyes to go live with relatives in Nebraska to men who were so drunk that Kaly thought that if the train took a sharp enough turn that they would probably kill themselves.

When she got to Jake’s Crossing she was so thrill because she was reunited with her best friend back. Once Kaly met up with her best friend, Cloris. Cloris introduced her to all of her friends and their spouses like always Kaly made many new friends easily. Kaly became really close to a young man named Riley, he was the older brother of the girl who saved Cloris from the horrible hunters. You might realize this before Kaly and Riley did that they truly loved each other, and were destined to be married. Kaly didn’t want to commit to marriage because she never that a role model to show her how to love someone and receive the love back. Riley on the other hand wanted to marry her with all his heart, but was too shy to ask her because he didn’t want to be rejected.

In the end it took nearly two years for Kaly and Riley to come to their senses and finally commit to each other as man and wife. The trip down the aisle took longer then many could imagine, but in the end it was all worth it to them. From that day they told their story to their children and grandchildren until the day she died.

Inspired by Sadie Rose and the Dangerous Search by Hilda Stahl.