A Stillness in the Air | Teen Ink

A Stillness in the Air

By Michelle_Baldwin SILVER, Lawrenceville, Georgia
Michelle_Baldwin SILVER, Lawrenceville, Georgia

"Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." -Eleanor Roosevelt

Sensation. Exotic Pulses shoot up my fangs making every atom in my body explode, full of passion. Blood drips down my chin as I grip his veins with my jaw. I feel pure pleasure. I grasp his t-shirt pulling his body until it touches mine. I release Bentley. His hand moves to his neck to catch the blood oozing from his neck.
“Do you know what your parents would do if they caught us? Forget your dad. Think of your mom. She has always had a major temper. Last time she threatened to kill me. They might…” He stutters.
“Eat you.” I laugh because they actually would suck him dry. They take the whole concept, humans are food not friends, thing a tad bit too seriously. His face grows worried as he thinks about being eaten. I don’t think that one made it on his bucket list. “You know I wouldn’t let you become their snack!” I slowly walk up to him lacing my fingers in his. I kiss him on the cheek and glance down at our intertwined fingers. “Besides… Forbidden love is totally in this year. Star crossed lovers and all.” I attempt to make him smile. Failure!
“I want to be with you forever. Will you just turn me already? I’m not getting any younger.” I do want to be with him, I do but I want him to be sure of it. Once it’s done, there is no possible way it can be undone. I look away from him. I slouch holding my elbow with my pale, fragile hand.
“You know once I turn you, your life will be changed forever. We will be bonded. There will be no going back.”
“I’ve thought about it and I know the risks. It’s what I want.” He hugs me tightly from behind. “You, me, and a timeless clock.”
“Will you just think everything over?” I ask as he raises a brow. “Please.”
“If it will give you some piece of mind. Sure.” He hesitantly agrees. He kisses me oh so slightly on the lips and leaves, leaving me alone.

I walk swiftly through the mysterious tunnels towards the door leading to my home. My feet stop beneath me as I focus, listen for anyone nearby. The coast is evidently clear.

The door opens revealing my father’s crusty, old study. All I see is books, books, and there’s a shocker more books. I slump onto the couch. As the sun rises I drift into a deep slumber.

“Aaliyah!” My eyes fly open at the sound of a strong, manly voice calling my name. My father stands before me, arms crossed. Serious. That lasts about a second. “My darling daughter. Did you really sleep all day on this old thing?” I nod my head. Arms open pulling me off my bum into his embrace. “I’m glad you’ve abandoned this fling with humans. Remember Humans are food…”

“…Not friends. Yeah…yeah I know.” He looks me over as a proud father would. He kisses me on the forehead thinking his daughter is perfect. Nope not by a long shot.

“Now…” He pulls me towards the towering engraved, wooden doors. “Go look in the freezer and be amazed.”

My mind wanders to dark and mysterious places as the words pass his pale, blood stained lips. What could possibly be in the freezer that would amaze me? The empty space left behind by the unanswered question strikes fear into me. Daddy is known for is crude, unpleasant jokes. I shrug and hurry towards the kitchen. I hope the phrase “curiosity killed the cat” won’t apply in this situation.

I place my hand on the silver metal handle. Shivers crawl over my skin like a thousand ants set on the loose. I cautiously open the door revealing what lies inside.

My eyes widen as I stare it down. Unbelievable… It sits there floating in frozen water. Untouched by time. A fish. Its neon yellow body dead frozen.

“Jason!” I scream at the top of my lungs almost sounding coarse. Sounding like nails on a chalkboard will not help the situation. I tap my foot and wait for my completely lovable, but insane brother. “Jason!” Again…

“What do you want?” He walks in acting all cool and says in a dramatic voice trying to make me laugh. No luck. His face shifts to match my serious expression. I stare straight into his misguided eyes then turn towards the dead fish in my freezer. “Aliyah…?” My brother asks curiously. He glances in on the fish. A storm of laughs escape him. “I couldn’t just flush him. He was my friend.” His face becomes soft as his eyes morph into puppy dog eyes.

“No.” I take the frozen corpse and toss it into the trash.

“Speedy. You will be missed.” My brother whispers to the trash can as I walk outside and wait.

Tonight is the night that I am going to turn the man I love into an immortal. Vampires together, forever. I am certain he didn’t change his mind. Time passes as the night grows darkened. A stillness in the air worries me to the bone. I check my watch. Bentley is never late… He is always on time. Punctual, he would call himself. I smooth my pants down as I pace back and forth.

The sent overwhelms me. There’s too much. Not enough left. I turn to see two figures approaching me slowly. My mother holds him up as she carries his limp body. She drops his wearied body onto the pavement. She steps in front of me and smirks. Flaunting her evil crime she committed against my heart.

I become disoriented as tears stream down my face. I pull him into my arms. “No… no… no…. NO!” I can’t hold it in. I break down. I can’t breathe. I can’t think. “Please…” I pull him closer kissing him on the top of the head. I start to hyperventilate. “Bentley… Bentley! Listen…look at me.” His eyes slowly, but slightly open. “I’ll turn you. Don’t die before it’s over. Hold on!” I bite my wrist ignoring the pain because the wound tearing, ripping at my heart hurts more. He drinks my satin colored blood from my heat absented wrist. I sob over his body. His life essence pours from multiple wounds that are scattered over his skin.

“Aliyah… I LOVE YOU.” He grasps my hand as he cringes from the pain of turning. Becoming a vampire. If he dies before the process completes… he will actually be dead. DEAD. I hold his twitching body down as he moves around like a fish out of water. His breaths grow shallow. His color fades as his fangs drop out of his jaw. His heart stops and his lifeless body droops in my arms. Shock. I can’t feel anything but the pain of his death.
I scream wiping tears from my face. My family run outside to discover the source of the carried screams. “No… You can’t be dead! It finished. No! No!” I bawl slamming my fisted his into his blood soaked chest. “Start. Just on pump. Please… Come back to me…” I hug his dead body.
“Maybe we can get another bigger fridge.” My brother kneels next to me. Comforting his grief stricken sister. He rubs his hand up and down my back.
“It was my fault. If I had turned him sooner. He would be here and not a ghost somewhere that’s not next to me.” I close my eyes.
A twitch makes my arms tremble. I return my attention back to dead Bentley. A gush of air escapes him slightly. He slowly opens his eyes and painfully smiles. His healing wounds seal, hiding his exposed insides.
“If my daughter of mine can love a human. Maybe… Just maybe… We can learn to tolerate humans.” My father steps towards us placing a hand on my shoulder. “Or should I call you a vampire.” Bentley kisses me full on and my senses go on the fritz.
“Forever.” He whispers in my ear. A grin escapes me.