Winter's Memories | Teen Ink

Winter's Memories

By K L SILVER, Toronto, Other
K L SILVER, Toronto, Other

The soft drift of wind pulling the tiny delicate snowflakes toward my face make chills run down my spine. I stand outside and I almost have to catch my breath because of the beauty before me. Hills of glistening white snow spread over the vast meadows like a blanket, are all that is in my view. I breathe in slowly and carefully, relaxing my brain so that I can fully enjoy the presence of winter around me. I stand in a gazebo with sparkling white lights that draw the painting of the landscape before me. I stand with a red coat paired with my red rosy lips, as I stand and wait.

As the time passes I begin to hum a nice slow melody and gently dance around the gazebo and then I hear him. His footsteps come closer to the shelter I am in and my eyes shoot open as a smile comes across my face. I could imagine his eyes and how they would look right in this moment and they matched perfectly with what I see in front of me. Electrifying deep blue catch my attention as my eyes lock on his, his grin just makes me smile even more until I can’t help but laugh. I walk over to him as my white heels click under me and with each step the buzzing gets louder. The buzzing of the electricity moving through my body of the yearning to be with him again, even seeing him closer and closer gives me chills the cold has never given me.

He looks down at me and moves a golden curly lock from my face and touches my cheek. I didn’t even need a kiss because in this instant, looking into his eyes with one arm around my waist I could stop this moment and be absolutely happy for the rest of my life.

Music starts playing, although I don’t know if this is in my head or not but I don’t give it a second thought as I put my hand on his shoulder and begin to dance. The violins play a soft melody of the song I had been humming earlier only that seemed ages ago, I didn’t feel alive as I was waiting for him I only felt alive when I was with him and everything around me felt alive with him, the music, the snow, the winter, the cold, and the warmth that over washes the cold with the pumping of my heart against his.

The night was perfect. The stars brought a twinkle to the evening and brought me to another smile which was exchanged with his beautiful grin. Not one word has been said and I don’t think any words were needed we just dance and smile and dream of only the present but hope for the future to be just the same.

The music softens and I know it is time to go but my heart aches of another day, minute, even second without him. The thought of him dying in war is just unbelievable so I stop before I get too far into my thoughts and let him go. I know he will back again next year when the stars are out and the snow has fallen and my lips are redder than any other day. But, then again red is the colour of blood.