My Heart | Teen Ink

My Heart

By kate12345me GOLD, Sydney, Other
kate12345me GOLD, Sydney, Other

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Thoreau
"Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again, but life goes on."

I gave you my heart today.
I don’t expect it back anytime soon. This isn’t one of those sob-inducing poetic love letters you always made retching noises at. Don’t be disillusioned – read on before you throw this away without a second glance, second thought, second breath. Breathe easy. You can, now, because you have my heart.
When you asked me if I loved someone, I lied. I’m scared to love. All my friends are crazy about Aria Hemming, but I see her vanity and superficiality past those perfect Barbie-brown styled curls. I believe you have to know someone to love them. You know me, now, because you have my heart.
I shied away from commitment when Aria confessed her attraction, affection for me. Sort of like how I pried my heart out, cried my heart out, for you. No more, because now you have my heart.
You don’t need to thank me. I hate people expressing gratitude when they don’t give a toss. You loved tossing stones into the whispering river, subtly skimming them across the body of water. You loved water, too, hours spent by the pool or beach, drinking always. 70% of you is made up of water, you said. The other 30 must be pain, I thought. I’m a hundred percent fulfilled, now, because you have my heart.
I never loved you, no. I longed for you. My tear-streaked cheeks were hidden under my pillow each night with studious release. I wouldn’t ever have you, but one day we would fit. Together. And now we do, because you have my heart.
I hope the operation didn’t hurt too much. Heart transplants aren’t supposed to, I think. I don’t know. I don’t want to know. You were willing to tell me. That’s what friends do, you said. Your words unknowingly stung me. I didn’t even say goodbye. Oh well, now you have my heart, perhaps I won’t ever have to say goodbye.
I gave you my heart today. You’ll never know, but I’m beating, watching, longing as you pray… everyday.

Something new, something different. Place your hand on your heart as you read this. Feel it beneath you, in you, with you. Tick tock. The soundtrack to my, yours, our life.

kate12345me GOLD, Sydney, Other

Thank you!! It doesn't matter if other people don't read this, your single comment has made me so glad! Looking forward to reading something of yours :)

austenite GOLD said...
austenite GOLD, River Falls, Wisconsin

...one word from you will silence me forever. If, however, your feelings have changed, I will have to tell you: you have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love....I love...I love you. I never wish to be parted from you from this day on. -Mr. Darcy

This is amazing.  I really wish that more people had read/commented on this - they're missing out!  I love so much about this - the way you write, the language you used, the imagery, etc.  I love how you start the story off with "I gave you my heart" and you mean it literally - great twist.  This is awesome!!!