My Heart | Teen Ink

My Heart

July 19, 2012
By kate12345me GOLD, Sydney, Other
kate12345me GOLD, Sydney, Other
11 articles 0 photos 69 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Thoreau
"Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again, but life goes on."


I gave you my heart today.
I don’t expect it back anytime soon. This isn’t one of those sob-inducing poetic love letters you always made retching noises at. Don’t be disillusioned – read on before you throw this away without a second glance, second thought, second breath. Breathe easy. You can, now, because you have my heart.
When you asked me if I loved someone, I lied. I’m scared to love. All my friends are crazy about Aria Hemming, but I see her vanity and superficiality past those perfect Barbie-brown styled curls. I believe you have to know someone to love them. You know me, now, because you have my heart.
I shied away from commitment when Aria confessed her attraction, affection for me. Sort of like how I pried my heart out, cried my heart out, for you. No more, because now you have my heart.
You don’t need to thank me. I hate people expressing gratitude when they don’t give a toss. You loved tossing stones into the whispering river, subtly skimming them across the body of water. You loved water, too, hours spent by the pool or beach, drinking always. 70% of you is made up of water, you said. The other 30 must be pain, I thought. I’m a hundred percent fulfilled, now, because you have my heart.
I never loved you, no. I longed for you. My tear-streaked cheeks were hidden under my pillow each night with studious release. I wouldn’t ever have you, but one day we would fit. Together. And now we do, because you have my heart.
I hope the operation didn’t hurt too much. Heart transplants aren’t supposed to, I think. I don’t know. I don’t want to know. You were willing to tell me. That’s what friends do, you said. Your words unknowingly stung me. I didn’t even say goodbye. Oh well, now you have my heart, perhaps I won’t ever have to say goodbye.
I gave you my heart today. You’ll never know, but I’m beating, watching, longing as you pray… everyday.


The author's comments:
Something new, something different. Place your hand on your heart as you read this. Feel it beneath you, in you, with you. Tick tock. The soundtrack to my, yours, our life.