A Short on Love by a Girl and a Boy | Teen Ink

A Short on Love by a Girl and a Boy

January 14, 2012
By theintrovertmonologues DIAMOND, Pittsford, New York
theintrovertmonologues DIAMOND, Pittsford, New York
94 articles 0 photos 12 comments

He was not so busy reading something about America, China and some guy named Caleb Somethingorother when he found himself peering over his laptop at her. She was all bundled up in a soft white sweater and reading his copy of A Collection of Edgar Allan Poe’s Finest Works. She was gently nibbling on her thumb nail, concentrating on the crisp pages in front of her. After a minute or so, her eyes slowly rose above her thick-rimmed glasses to where his were just darting back to the computer. A sarcastic smile touched his lips as he pretended to be studiously focused on his work. She smiled and tenderly slipped her leather bookmark into the book. She gracefully walked over to the bed and then wedged herself between him and the headboard. She began rubbing his shoulders.

“You need to concentrate, you know,” she whispered. Familiar shivers trickled down his spine.

“You make it so easy,” he observed facetiously. She smiled and leaned into him, placing her chin on his shoulder and lacing her arms under his as he typed. He was very aware of the warm breath from her nose grazing his cheek every few seconds like clockwork, like a part of time as essential as the second, minute or hour. She watched him type for a moment.

“Why do you do that?” she asked.

“Do what?” he asked absently.

“You deleted that whole sentence just to add one word instead of using the cursor and inserting it,” she laughed.

“Well I’m a little distracted,” he replied, trying to be romantic as he turned to kiss her. She laughed again, leaned away and drew her arms out from under his so she could reach the keyboard. He could feel her cinnamon hair on his face as she leaned over him. She retyped the sentence he had just deleted, replacing a word here and there, and by the time she was done it was somehow more elegant and scholarly than it had been before. He breathed a laugh of amazement.

“I don’t know how you do it,” he whispered.

“I just have a large vocabulary,” she shrugged, “It’s from using the thesaurus all the time.”

“That’s not what I meant,” he said as he turned to look into her golden brown eyes. He leaned in to kiss her and this time she did not move away. It was soft and delicate, like it always was in the beginning.