The Moon that Holds Part of Me | Teen Ink

The Moon that Holds Part of Me

December 28, 2011
By KdP62296 SILVER, Henderson, North Carolina
KdP62296 SILVER, Henderson, North Carolina
6 articles 0 photos 3 comments

The moon is full. Its luxurious, white stomach is full to the brim while it hangs low in the sky. In the dead of summer, a relentless and fiery burst of air consumes my soul and brings a childish smile to my sun kissed face. I heard the back door slam and heavy footsteps run towards me. I throw my long brown locks back and laugh towards the sky as I take off running down the stairs and down the long trail that lead to the the lake. After running through the woods and along the beach area of the lake, I came to the old, wooden planks of the dock and stopped.

The lake water gently lapped the shallow shores with such grace. The immaculate reflection of the moon splashed upon the glass surface of the lake. Suddenly, the heavy footsteps halted and a pair of muscular arms wrapped around my waist. Shane had finally caught up with me.

“Excuse me miss,” he whispered softly into my ear, “But I do believe you walked away from our date?” I snicker and tried to wriggle out of his strong grip, but he only held me against his chest tighter and kissed my cheek. I felt a rush of heat smolder across my face as he looked at me with such an adoring expression. I smiled meekly, tucked my bangs behind my ear and looked down at the wooden planks of the dock. He chuckled and gently grasped my hand as we walked down the dock.

“Shane,” I piped us as we stopped at the edge of the dock.

“Hm?” he mumbled dreamily, shooting a pair of piercing blue eyes in my direction. Their charismatic gleam trapped me in a daze that I couldn’t break. Gawking at the sight of him, he took that as an opportune time to wrap his arms around me again and kiss me. I clasped my hands on either side of his face and pulled him even closer. We stood like that on the dock, in sheer perfection, for several minutes before gently pulling away. I sat down on the edge of the dock slung my feet into the glassy water. Ripples spread far out into the middle of the lake and distort the perfect reflection of the moon.

Shane sits down next to me and does the same and finds my hand to slide his fingers in between mine. I rest my head on his shoulder and draw out a loving sigh. At that moment, a ball of light slashed the night sky. A shooting star. It had only lasted about 2 seconds, but the intense light against the black sky caught enough of our attention to see it before it disappeared.

“Make a wish Alli.” Shane said in a sultry baritone. His gorgeous blue eyes were still fixed upon the sky, waiting to see another star; yet he still managed to break his gaze long enough to plant a light kiss on my forehead.

“Mm, I think I already have mine.” I say, swaying my feet in the warm water. That was such a cliché statement. I pull my bangs out to hide my embarrassed face. Shane smiled widely and gave out an equally as loving sigh and stretches his arms out to squeeze me into an impenetrable embrace.

“Alli?” Shane questioned after several minutes of silence. I suppose he was making sure I hadn’t fallen asleep in his arms.

“Yes?” I whispered quietly.

“What were you going to say earlier? You never finished your sentence.”

“Oh, I was going to apologize for running out on our date.” I said shamefully as I hung my head. He laughed at the statement and raised his hand to stroke my cheek. Those eyes were fixed upon mine as he still laughed to himself.

“Alli, this WAS the date. Not just hanging up at my place. I purposely chased you down here so we could share the full moon together. I thought-I thought it’d be okay with you…” he trailed off, embarrassed. He stood up and looked at the moon. I pulled myself up and stood right behind him.

“Okay with me? No Shane. It was perfect.” I hugged him from behind and rested my chin on his shoulder.

“You sure sweetheart?” he turned his head slightly to look at me, still wearing a worried look on his face. I turned him around so we could talk face to face. So I could look at his perfection.

“Positive.” I say plainly with his favorite crooked smile. He returns the smile and pulls me in for another kiss. We pull away and walk hand in hand down the dock. At the very end of the dock, he stops walking. He lets go of my hand and closes his eyes. He brushes his hand through his curly, black hair. Puzzled, I touch his shoulder to make sure he’s okay. He takes both of my hands and pulls me around in front of him. With a smile, those beautiful blue eyes flutter open and look dead into mine.

“I love you Alli.” He whispers.
~ ~ ~
I immediately sit up in my bed. Gasping for air, I kick my comforter off and run up to my window. Without hesitation, I throw it open and rest my arms on my window sill. It was only a dream. Again. That was the fifth dream about him I have had this week. I bury my head into my arms and let the freezing, winter air sweep into my room. Warm tears trickle down my face as I begin to cry. I touch the cross on the chain around my neck.

“I love you too Shane.” I whisper.
Through my tear filled eyes I look up into the sky. The moon is full.