Me, Brent, and Charlotte Speck | Teen Ink

Me, Brent, and Charlotte Speck

August 19, 2011
By MusicMovement SILVER, Indianapolis, Indiana
MusicMovement SILVER, Indianapolis, Indiana
7 articles 3 photos 22 comments

Favorite Quote:
Be who you want to be, and not what others want to see


His facebook profile says, “In a relationship with Charlotte Speck”. His latest twitter update says, “Goin ice skatin with my gf, Charlotte Speck”. The hand holding says he’s dating Charlotte Speck. The public kissing says he’s dating Charlotte Speck. But the smell of my perfume on his shirt says he’s dating me.

Brent and Charlotte have been dating for almost a year now. Brent and I have dated almost three months. Only three people know about it, me, Brent, and my ex-best friend Jen. When I told Jen I was dating Brent (after making her swear not to tell a soul), our friendship crumbled. She was so disgusted with me for willingly letting a guy cheat on me that she cut me off. No more sleepovers, calls, texts, facebook messages, nothing. But, true to her word, she hasn’t told anyone about my relationship.

Most people would say that it is crazy to date a guy who already has a girlfriend. Four months ago I would have said the same thing. But Brent changed all that. We hadn’t planned to date, but we were just meant to be, I guess. You see, I was in a study group with Brent, Charlotte, David Presky, Sarah Graham, and Patrick Strent. We meet every week on Wednesday, and we socialize more than study most of the time. On week, everyone but Brent and me was too busy for study group. Charlotte and Sarah had a volleyball tournament, Patrick had a dentist appointment, and David was out celebrating his mom’s birthday. So, it was just Brent and me.

The conversation started out innocently enough, but soon we were flirting with each other like it was our last day to live. We just hit it off. Brent really opened up to me, said he felt like he could trust me, and admitted to thoughts about breaking up with Charlotte. He said he was too afraid to because he didn’t want to hurt her. He’s really caring that way. I consoled him, and even agreed to see him again later to continue the conversation. Eventually, those conversations turned into make-out sessions and watching romantic comedies while snuggled up on my couch. We never go over to his house (unless in a group) because his parents don’t know about us, and he doesn’t want them to.

Brent makes me happy. So happy, that I’ve decided that he’s the one. I just know it. I mean, it’s not like I’m expecting some sort of proposal any time soon, but I have decided that I am in love with him. That’s right, in love. But he doesn’t know that yet. I don’t want to make him feel even worse about still seeing Charlotte. I mean, how could he date Charlotte knowing he’s in love with me? So, maybe he’s never told me he loved me, but I can just feel it. He loves me. And I love him. And poor Charlotte doesn’t know what’s coming.
I’m sure if people knew, they would feel sorry for me. But, really, they shouldn’t. It’s Charlotte they should feel bad for. I mean, she’s the one who is in love with a boy who doesn’t even love her. She’s the one who is naive enough to believe Brent is all hers. She’s the one who has to have her relationship torn apart by every gossiper in school. And she’ll be the one who will have to deal with pity glances every five seconds when she and Brent break up. He’s going to end it soon. So, really, I’m the lucky one here. Sure, I can’t tell anyone about our late nights together, or obsess over our first kiss with my friends, or go on double dates, or wear his jacket to games, or have him wait by my locker after class, or go with him to school dances, or hold his hand in public, but it’s all worth it.

Right?