You of All People Part 3 | Teen Ink

You of All People Part 3

By Valhalla-is-calling GOLD, Waterboro, Maine
Valhalla-is-calling GOLD, Waterboro, Maine

"No parent should have to bury their own child." -Theodin

I awoke up to see a handsome boy sitting next to me, and a white light. “Am I dead?” I asked the boy sitting next to me.
He looked up with sparkling blue eyes. I remembered him from somewhere. “No, but you came pretty close to it.” He said, smiling.
“Who are you? I remember you from somewhere. Are you my brother?” I asked him. His smile suddenly gone.
“No. I’m your boyfriend, James. I love you and you are in the hospital because your old boyfriend Jack tried to kill me, but you jumped in front of me, and he stabbed you. So I stabbed him in the face with his own knife.”
“Is he dead? James?” I asked.
“..........Yes........I killed him. The blade went through his skull and pierced his brain. He was killed instantly. The police still don’t know who did it, and I’m not going to tell them because then I would go to jail.”
“Can I see him? This boy you stabbed?”
“No......He’s dead.”
“Oh he is? That’s too bad. I want something to eat.” I said, trying to get up.
“Ohhhh no you don’t. The nurse said you have to stay here for at least another week. Your family already know about you being stabbed and they are coming to visit you after your parents finish work.”
“So what are you doing here? Don’t you have school?”
“Yes. But I cut class to come and visit you. That’s how much you mean to me. I would go to the end of the earth to save you from danger.”
“Ok. Well, I’m in a hospital bed right now, so you didn’t do a very good job with that.” I said, smiling.
“Yeah. I know. But starting now, I will never let anyone lay a mean finger on you.” He said smiling back. He then leaned over and kissed me.
“James, I love you. Can you get me something to eat please?”
“Yeah baby. What do you want?”
“Umm...........Chicken soup please.” “Ok. I’ll be right back. Don’t hurt yourself while I’m away.”
“No promises.” I laughed as he left.

“Hello. I’m here for your daily shot. Oh! I see your awake. I have been told that you need a special shot every day while your in the hospital, to make sure you don’t get a heart attack, or your heart doesn’t stop beating. This won’t hurt a bit.”
“Ow! Well, you were wrong because IT HURT!” I told her.
“Hey baby, I’m back. Did you hurt yourself?” He asked, smiling as he put the soup on the little wheelie table thing and pushed it over to me.
“No, but this nurse did. She gave me a shot.”
“Aww they don’t hurt that bad.”
“Yes they do! They kill my arm. I hate them.” I said as I sipped my soup.
“Ok then. Your parents just got here so I better leave. Oh yeah, here’s your cellphone. I got it from your house. Text me later babe!” He said as he tossed me my phone and exited the room.
“Bye!” I replied.

“There’s my baby! How’s she doing? Are you feeling ok Lily? Do you want anything to drink or eat?” My mother fretted at me.
“No, mom. My friend James just got me some soup so I’m good.” I said as I looked at my phone.
“Excuse me but no cell phones in hospital rooms. They interfere with the machines.” Said the nurse that gave me the shot. So my mom took my phone and put it in her pocket.
Their visit lasted about an hour until the nurses told them it was closing time and shooed them out of the door.
“I’ll visit you after work tomorrow honey!” My mom told me as she was ushered out of the door.

That night I woke up in the middle of the night to a sharp pain in my chest. I felt like my heart had just stopped and I thought I would die. Thankfully, a nurse was walking by and saw me sitting up. So she came into the room and saw that I was having a heart attack. Since James’ number was on the contact information, the hospital called him to tell him that I had had a heart attack.
“I’ll be right there! Tell her to hold on. I’m coming!” James replied frantically.

When he arrived he rushed into my room and grabbed my hand. “Can you still hear me baby? If you can please just say something so I know you’re alive.” James said. Tears rolling down his cheeks.
“I’ve never seen you cry before. It makes me sad.” I said.
“Ohh. Thank God! You’re alive! When they called I....I thought I’d lost you.” He said through his tears.
“Stop crying. I’m not gonna leave you just yet.” I replied as I wiped the tears from his eyes. He then wrapped his arms around me and hugged me so tight I thought I’d have another heart attack. James then kissed me again and again. “Don’t ever do that to me again. I thought you were gone. If you left, I will always blame myself.” He said when he was done hugging and kissing me.
“Why would you blame yourself? It wasn’t your fault that I jumped in front of Jack.”
“I know but I will always blame myself for breaking your heart and then saying I love you and having Jack try and kill me, and for you to try and protect me, and-”
“Shhh. Stop talking. I need you to listen to me. If anything ever happens and I.....don’t make it through this, then you should know that I never stopped loving you too. Even though I spent countless hours pouring my heart out into the songs I wrote, I still loved you. You are the best thing that ever happened to me.” I said, solemnly.
“Don’t say that baby. I know you’re strong enough to make it through this. We’re going to be together forever and I promise I’m never gonna let you fall again without someone to catch you. I can’t wait until you’re out of the hospital because then I’m gonna take you out.” Said James.
“I know I’m gonna make it, but just in case I don’t. I just wanted you to know.”
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

A week passed and I was eventually let out. James was thrilled and the first place we went was out for a boat ride. James drove the boat (a motorboat), and I sat there having a great time. We stopped for a while on an island and had lunch. We then went for a swim in the cool ocean water. I was afraid to go in all the way until James grabbed my leg underwater and dragged me under. It was surprising so I was scared. I kicked up to the surface, spluttering.
“That wasn’t funny! That was scary!” I told him. “Don’t do that to me ever again.”
“C’mon! You know it was funny.”
“No! It wasn’t!” I said as I swam back to shore.
“C’mon babe! Let’s keep swimming! It’s fun. Don’t make me come get you again. Where’d you go?” James asked.
I was under water, trying to get back at him. I swam until I saw him swimming, then I went really fast and grabbed his foot and dragged him under to the very bottom. He was looking around frantically until he saw me then he grabbed my wait and pulled me close and kissed me. We then kicked to the surface and we laughed.
“Let’s get back to the boat now.” I said to him between laughter.
“Ha ha. Ok. i’m getting kinda cold myself.”
“Who said I was cold?” I asked. My teeth chattering.

Back on the boat he asked me if I wanted to ride around for a while before going home. I agreed gladly, and so we boated around the islands for a while. Then bad news came. Just as we were about to turn back, our engine stopped. We had run out of gas.
“What happened?” i asked even though I knew the answer.
“We ran outta gas.” He replied.
“I hope another boat will come along and see us out here.” I said, listening to the sound of waves sloshing against the side of the boat.
An hour passed. Two hours passed. Three hours passed. No boat came. i decided to call my mom and tell her I was sleeping over my friends’ house so as to not make her worry.
“Ok sweetie. I’ll see you tomorrow.” And I hung up.

“Well. It looks like were stuck here until morning when I can call my dad to come pick us up. I hope we don’t drift too far.” James said.
“Well why don’t we put down the anchor?” I asked casually.
“Oh yeah. Good idea. I’ll get that and you look to see what food we have left.” He said as he went to find the anchor.
“OK. Look’s like we have 6 PB&J sandwiches, 3 water bottles filled to the top with water, and some leftover salad. That’s all we got.”
“Uhh....Ok. I just dropped the anchor. We have fishing rods so we can fish if we get bored.”
“Ok.”
“What’s more romantic than being stuck out here in the middle of the ocean together?” James asked me.
“Umm...Not being stuck in the middle of the ocean together?” I said, playfully.
“Ouch.” He said, smiling.
“Well we’d better get some sleep. I’m about to fall overboard of I don’t get some sleep soon.” I said.
So we both found some places in the boat that we could sleep. I got the front of the boat with all the comfy seats, and James got the back of the boat with more of the comfy seats. I reached into the cabinet under my seat and pulled out a blanket. I then brought it to James.
“Good night, baby.” He said to me as I kissed him goodnight.
“Night.” I said as I retreated back to my part of the boat.

The next day I didn’t wake up until 9:30. Or at least I thought it was 9:30. I couldn’t tell. So I went to James because he had a watch.
“It’s 10:17 a.m. I let you sleep late because of last night. I hope you slept well. Here, I got you a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and some water.” James said, handing me the food and water.
“So have you gotten in touch with your dad at all today?” I asked him while I casually ate and drank my meal.
“Yes I did. He’s coming to get us as soon as he gets dressed and puts his boat in the water.”
“Well I hope it’s soon because I’m really getting bored.” I said, finishing the sandwich.
“Well look underneath the boat. It’s amazing!” James said as he led me over to the side.
“Woah! This is is cool! Why didn’t we see this before!?” I asked, my mouth hanging open. I was looking at the ocean floor, maybe 20 feet down. It was teeming with life. I saw hermit crabs, different kinds of fish, a dog shark, and some weird things I had never heard of before.
“Well, maybe because it was dark outside and we were too cold to go look over the edge.” James said, placing his hand on my waist.
“James! Look over there! A whale!” I said, looking up to see what had made a big splash.
Sure enough, it was a giant Right Whale. I had never seen a whale in the wild before. It looked like it was playing. He was going down under the water then rocketing to the surface and jumping out of the water and making a huge splash.
“Oh look! Here comes my dad!” Exclaimed James.
As I looked over to where the whale was, I saw it was gone. The sound of the motor must have scared it away.
“Come on kids! Let’s get going! I heard on the radio on the way here a storm’s coming. I hope it’s not another one of them hurricanes!” James’ dad yelled as he helped me board his boat. Him and James were tying a rope from his boat to James’ boat as he could tow it back to shore.
When they were done, James came aboard and sat next to me. “Well this was certainly an adventure. Wasn’t it Lily? You started off in the hospital, and you ended up sleeping on a boat with no gas.” James said, looking at me.
“Yes. It was quite an adventure. But I’m glad I shared it with you.” I said as I leaned over to kiss him. But first I made sure his dad wasn’t looking.

Third part :)