LoveInSpanish-Chapter1 | Teen Ink

LoveInSpanish-Chapter1

February 3, 2011
By KaylynVictoria SILVER, Breaux Bridge, Louisiana
KaylynVictoria SILVER, Breaux Bridge, Louisiana
5 articles 0 photos 77 comments

Favorite Quote:
Always keep your head up so you never have an excuse to look down at yourself(:


Okay, so I'm on my bed trying to write a story for Lit class. So for all I have is, " I'm here in my room. Looking around for something to take my mind of of this worthless assignment". There's only one problem. This story is worth half my grade for the final semester.

Anyway, I have this list from my teacher about the steps on writing the best story.
(1) Think of a topic. Okay, lets make it easy, my topic is love.
(2) Think of inspiration. Hmm. So maybe I can use this guy, Chandler, that doesn't even know I exist.
(3) Think of how you see your inspiration would look in someone else's eyes. Okay. There's a lot of thinking in this. But anyway, to everyone Chandler is the best QB* since the first team ever started at Lakeview High.
(4) Think about how yor inspiration looks at you. Looks at me? Again, may I use the excuse that he doesn't even know I exist?!
(5)((And final step)) Think about how you can put your thoughts/feelings into words. Fine. That can work. But how can I put the feelings that I had for him ever since 8th grade into 300 words?

The real problem about this story, is that the entire 3 weeks I toke to patiently write this story, I didn't know that it was being played out right in front of me.



I woke up the next morning with exactly 4 hours and 43 minutes of sleep. I put on my favorite pair of jeans and an old concert tee with my Converse sneakers that you would think never came off of my feet. I looked in the mirror at my lucky face. Not one bit of acne. Not a blemish or scar. I look at my eyes and think about how I feel. Tired. Stressed. So I decided to go with the classic, low ponytail and natural look. When I'm done with my apperance, I walk out of the bathroom and into the kitchen. I grab a banana and a bottle of water. I have recently warded off any Coke. With my banana in my mouth and water in my hand, I got into my Dodge Charger that took 4 years of babysitting, birthday, and Christmas money, and loose coins I found in the couch cushions (classic). So when I finally arrived at school, I think about every possible reason cheerleaders** pin point every simple flaw. I feel bad for them because everytime I pass they shutup. It's like they can't find any flaws about me. After I pass up the cheerleaders, the goths, the band, and of course, the football team, I finally find my friends and jump into the conversation about the debate between Taylor Lautner or Jonny Depp. From what I heard, Taylor has a pretty boy face while Jonny has "endless beauty". My friends and I, we have our own thing. We say what we think and never go with the flow. Kirsten: loves to write. She can write anything from a poem to an interview without interviewing anyone, because she knows everything. Rhemi: different in so many ways. She hates to write and even tie her own shoes:). Jenna: loves to read Shakespare and is fluid in Spanish, Itialian, and German. But French, forget it. Tara: loves to sing. Nothing more. She gets bullied by everybody else because of her height. But inside she's a great girl. She has a dark side and loves heavy rock. You would look at her and think that she should be in the goth group, but she's one of us. And that's never going to change. And me, Dilyn: loved to play volleyball and can't play basketball to save her life.

As we walk past the football players, I look at Chandler who makes my heart drop at that moment because he's looking at me. CHANDLER ROBERT IS LOOKING AT ME! I stopped walking at the same time as the group because they noticed what was going on. Chandler was walking straight up to me.
" Hey. Dilyn, right?"
" Yeah. Chandler, right?" My witty comment made him smile, but he made me melt. I couldn't believe that he was talking to me.
" Yeah. So, umm, I was wondering. Do you mind if you can tudor me in Spanish? We're in the same class, right?"
I nodded. " Oh, sure. No problem."
" Ok. Thanks. Is study hall at free period cool?" He started to look around and noticed all of my friends were looking at the two of us. Chandler looked at Rhemi, who is also the ultimate matchmaker, made this look at him as if trying to tell him to make a move in free period. He nodded and my heart sank.
" Perfect. See you there."
" Okay. Thanks again, Dilyn. Later." He said over his shoulder as he walked back to his friends, who looked like they just saw Mariah Carey walk down the street.

My mind was focused on Spanish until free period making sure I knew everything we were covering in the chapter we were on and everyting before that. Finally, the Free period came and I was so shocked to see Chandler outside the door waiting for me. He smiled when he saw me walking out and I did exactly the same.
" Are you ready, Study Buddy?" He asked with his signature smile.
" Of course. You do know that my mom is Mexican?"
" Oh so that's where you get your gorgeous black hair and dark skin. I thought you stayed in the tanning bed too long."
" Ha. I have actually never been in a tanning bed."
" Wow. I was off. Way off. Sorry."
" It's cool. I get that a lot. Everybody stops me and says staying in the tanning bed can cause skin cancer."
That made him laugh which made me smile. He touched my arm to stop me. I stopped before taking my next step and looked up. He was about 4 inches taller than me.
" You know, you have the prettiest eyes in the world."
" And do you know that you're a liar?"
" I will never lie to you."
" Well, thanks. For the compliment and the heads up.
" Anytime." We started to walk again. I saw him look at me from the corner of my eye. He noticed my t-shirt.
" Wait, you like Breaking Benjamin?"
" Yes. Does that surprise you?"
" No offence, but 100%. I mean you don't look like that kind of girl who listens to that kind of music."
" Well, not to bore the hell out of you, long story short, my mom was single for a long time, so not having a dad kind of makes you... confused."
" Oh, I totally understand. My mom died whed I was 8 from breast cancer. That's why I'm not like the other guys who want to get their hands on a girl. I'm not like that. Just to let you know. I really need help ing Spanish. It's not some lame excuse just to get you."
" You know what? You are the most honest guy I have ever met."
" Well, when you live life to its fullest, you don't have time to lie."
By now, we were at our table with our Spanish books open. " Well, if you live life, you should also pass Spanish."
" Thanks, it's because of you though."
" Oh, stop," I said. "We need to start studying."
" Fine." He said sounding defeated.
" Okay. So the chapter starts on page 17. That's where we should start. Or do you understand that, just not the lesson this week?"
" Oh, no. I really need help. I mean with everything."
"Okay, well lets start on page 3. This should be easy. No offence, but I don't get why you don't understand it. My 5 year old couisin and I learn Spanish together. Whatever I know, he knows."
" None taken."
" Alright. So lets start."
" Wait, before I forget. I noticed that we live right across the street from each other. So, maybe you can come to my house after school so we can study more?"
"Um, okay." I was wondering how my father will like this. But for one second, I didn't think about the future bruises I will recieve as an early birthday present when I got home.