Wrong Turn | Teen Ink

Wrong Turn

April 2, 2010
By CBarber89 BRONZE, Crwley, Texas
CBarber89 BRONZE, Crwley, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Sick of trying, Tired of crying, Yeah I'm smiling but inside I'm dying."


Morning is here, first day of summer. No school for two months. All I have to do is lay around the house and read, watch TV, or play outside. I go in to the kitchen for breakfast at 11 23. I fixed my bow of cereal and now I’m going to go to watch some TV. I was expecting there to be something on, but there’s not its all infomercials and sopoperas. I guess I’ll finish my cereal and read a book or go outside.

After I finish my breakfast and wash my bowl and my spoon, I go looking for a book to read, but I have read all the books I have. Just as I sit down with a book that I have read hundred times. The door bell rings who could that be I though as I walked to the door. I look through the peep hole. It’s Katie! I haven’t talked to her in a year. She started smoking and doing drugs. I don’t know enough about drugs to say what kind, but I know she was. Maybe she is clean now and we can be friends again, like last year in eighth grade. My first year of high school wasn’t really fun without my best friend; maybe my second year will be better with Katie.

“Hey, Mandy are you there?” she yelled through the door. I didn’t even answer her I just opened the door.
“Hey!”
“Hey!” we both said and we screamed and hugged each other like there was no tomorrow.

“I missed you so much!” I said
“Me too!”
“Come in, come in”
“So what have you been up to?” I ask as we sit down

We sat and talked for a long time, than she asked me if I wanted to try something amazing
“I don’t know. What is it?” I asked
“Oh come on Mandy, I know you better than anyone. I know you will like it.”
“Okay, but you have to tell me what it is first.”
“I can show you how to do it, but I can’t tell you what it is until after. Okay?” I must have given her a look with out knowing it. She added “Can’t you trust me?”
“Yes.” That all I could say YES. What the hell is wrong with me?

“Okay” she said as she took a little bag out of her pocket, it looks like she has baby powder in it, but I know better than that. It is some king of drug; I just don’t know what kind yet. She put some of the powder drug on the glass part of my living room table, than she separated it into four separate lines.
“So how do we do it?” I asked wishing I hadn’t.
“Like this.” She said while she grabbed a straw. She put the straw to her nose and inhaled the drugs first the right side of her nose then the other. It looks so cool I wanted to watch myself do it, but I didn’t dare say that out loud. I don’t want her to think I’m a child. She handed me the straw
“You’re turn.” I took the straw and leaned over. I did just what she did.

It wasn’t long before the drugs hit me it was amazing, I have never felt anything like it before in my life. I was so exhilarated, I couldn’t be still. Katie and I just played around all afternoon. When momma got home we where playing around in the back yard. She called us when dinner was ready, but Katie and I said we weren’t hungry. We ran around the yard until midnight.
“Okay, Katie can stay the nigh, but you both have to come inside and be quit. Sound far?”
We both nodded and said at the same time “Yes, ma’am”
We stayed up all nigh and talked about anything and everything.
“So what do you think of the trip?” she asked me
“Oh my gosh it is the best thing ever!” I said and we both laughed
“Do you want to know what it was?”
“Yes and how do I get it?”
“Its cocaine and don’t worry about how to get it I have you covered”
“Awesome, that stuff is awesome”
“Yes, but you have to be carful.” She said.
“You girls are still up?” this from momma. I jumped and they both laughed at me.
“Hey, Mrs. Mayfield I was wondering if Mandy can come to my house tonight?”
“Of course she can, call me Jacky.”
“Okay, thank you Mrs.… Jacky”
“Okay girls I have to get to work have a good day” Momma said and walked out the door. After momma left we packed up something to take to Katie’s house mostly food and some cloths. We both took a shower and headed over to her house. We are both so tired by the time we get there. Without even saying anything we both hit the bed, and fall asleep.









????????????????????


I’m running, and I can’t stop. Something is after me, but I don’t know what it is people are screaming and yelling run, run, run. I can’t stop running; I’m surrounded by trees, and it’s so dark I can hardly see where I’m going. I trip on a branch and fall to the ground, than all of a sodden I hear this ringing and it won’t stop. What could be ringing out here? As I pull out of the dream I realize that it is my cell phone that’s ringing. I fumble around my stuff and find my phone. I had enough time to look around and think where am I before I found it.
“Hello.” I answered sleep still in my voice.
“Mandy, oh thank God. I have been trying to get a hold of you. Are we still getting together tonight?” getting together? Who is this?
“What… Jason I’m so sorry I… I just woke up” I totally forgot about our date tonight. Jason asked me out the last day of school. He is tall dark and handsome, he has long black hair and wonderfully distracting green eyes. He is the perfect match for me, with my equally black hair and hazel eyes, although my hair is a little longer.
“You just woke up? Its 6:00 in the afternoon. What did you do last nigh” he sounds angry. What can I tell him? I can tell the truth, but I don’t want to lie not to Jason.
“We didn’t get to sleep until like 9:00 this morning. I’m sorry! We are going to get together” I just have to tell Katie.
“We? Who is we? I call everyone looking for you, I was so worried!” Oh know here it goes
“Katie.” That one word was enough he knows she is in to drugs and that we used to be friends. He will know that I did something last nigh. Maybe I can turn him on to whatever drug we did last nigh it was awesome
“Katie? Did you…”
“Did I what? Do any drugs?” I finished for him and I just couldn’t hide the gilt in my voice
“You did! I can’t believe that you did!” he is yelling at me now. I can’t even say a word other than…
“I’m sorry, I’ll never do it again” and that’s when the lies started “I didn’t even know what it was…” okay that part is true “… I didn’t want to it just happened. I’m so sorry” now I’m starting to cry and all I was saying was I’m sorry over and over again
“Mandy come down are you at home or at Katie’s?”
“Katie’s” I said still crying
“Okay, I’ll come get you and take you home we can just hang out there for a while, okay?” he doesn’t seem mad anymore is it because I’m crying? Oh who cares he isn’t mad and I’m still going to see him today. Maybe I can wake Katie up and we can do whatever that drug was before I leave.

“Hey, you leaving” Katie says
“Yeah Jason is coming I totally forgot about our date tonight. I’m sorry.”
“It’s okay I heard you on the phone. I really did miss you and I want to be friends again with or without the drugs” she says and I can’t keep the shocked look off my face.
“Look whatever we did last night was so much fun, but I just don’t know if I want it to control my life, you know?” I said and waited for her to say it won’t really just one more
Or something like that, but she didn’t.
“I understand why you don’t just call me if you change your mind, and in the mean time we just hang out like old time.”
“Sounds like a plan.” I said and gathered my stuff. I hear a door bell. We started for the door.
“Hey where is your mom?” I ask right before we got to the door.
“She is… working.”
“Where?”
“The corner”
“Oh” I said and opened the door.
“Hey,” I said “thank you for picking me up. I’m so sorry I forgot.”
“Don’t worry about it; we’ll talk when we get to your house.”
Katie and I hugged and said our goodbyes and good to see you again and right as I stepped outside
“Call me if you change your mind, we can have some more fun.” I know she only said it again to help me with Jason. I smiled
“Thank you, but I don’t think so.” I said as I walked away.







????????????????????


The car ride to my house was the longest 3 minutes ever. We didn’t talk at all.
“I’m so sorry; I’m never going to do anything like that again.”I said to cut the silence.
“Don’t be sorry, Just don’t ever do it again. If something happens to you…”He said, but never finished.
“What?”
“Nothing, I just don’t want anything to happen to you.”
“Okay, here we are.” He added as we pulled into my driveway.
“Are we still on for tonight?”I ask knowing the answer. He probably never wants to see me again, I wouldn’t blame him.
“Umm...”
“It’s okay, really. I understand if you never want to see me again.”
“No I want to see you, just not tonight. I think you should just stay in and get your head together for a couple of days.” He said and I couldn’t keep the surprised look off my face. And the words just slipped out and I couldn’t do anything to stop it.
“I don’t really wanna be alone, I really liked the trip. If I’m alone I think I might call her for more.” He is quite for a long time. So I start to say Look its okay don’t worry about it I’ll be fine
“I have work in the morning but if we can get around your mom I will stay.”And the hits just keep on coming. I have never had a boy stay the night before.
“Mom is leaving tonight for a business trip she will be gone for two weeks.”What am I doing!
“Okay.” He says and gets out of the car. He goes around to my side of the car and opens the door for me. As we get to the door he stops.
“What is it?”I ask. He grabs me and pulls me to him, looks into my eyes says
“I love you.” Then he kisses me like in the movies. Just like that, we are the only two people in the world. He pulled away and I said
“I love you too.”






????????????????????

Oh God I just told her I love her. Oh God she loves me too.
“I’m going to go to my house and get some stuff I need for work, and tell my dad I’m staying at Cory’s tonight. I’ll be right back. Are you going to be okay while I’m gone?”
I can let her know that I’m freaking out. I don’t want her to think I don’t really love her.
“I’ll be okay, just don’t take too long.” She said. I pulled her in for another kiss and told her
“I love you. I will be right back.” I went back to my car and started for my house. What am I thinking I have never slept over at a girl’s house before! What do I need? Clothing would be nice. What else? Tooth brush and hair brush. Okay I think I’m good, now to tell dad. I go down to the shed where he is working on something stupid for the house that mom wants.
“Hey dad, I’m going to stay over at Cory’s tonight. Is that okay”
“Oh, yeah son sure.” He said. Okay step two done; now I have to get back to Mandy.
“Oh, wait son will you help me with this first?” I can’t say no, he might not let me leave, but I have to get to Mandy.
“Okay dad, what do you need?”
“Just hold this.” He said. Oh no, this going to take forever.






????????????????????


And I was right. It did take forever. I rush to Mandy’s. I try her cell to tell her I’m sorry and I’m on my way.
“Hey, this is Mandy. Leave me a message and I’ll get back to you.”
Oh no, something’s wrong. I keep trying.
“Hey, this is…”
“AHHH!” I yell to the air, one more time.
“Hello?” A man’s voice answers.
“Who is this? Where is Mandy? Is she Okay? What’s going on? ” I ask not even trying to keep the panic out of my voice.
“This is officer Rogers, Are you her boyfriend?”
“Yes, Yes. What’s going on? Is she in trouble?”
“I’m sorry, son she has OD. Did you know she was on drugs?” I can’t breathe, can’t see. The car swerves and I hit something. I drift in and out, I hear muffle voices, but I don’t know what they are saying. I see Mandy. I run to her and grab her hand. I pull her in for a kiss.
“I’m sorry” She says
“Shh, It’s okay” I say then I kiss her.


The author's comments:
I just saw this in my head and had to get it on paper.