The Guy In The Hallway | Teen Ink

The Guy In The Hallway

By chrisoulakat PLATINUM, Tinley Park, Illinois
chrisoulakat PLATINUM, Tinley Park, Illinois

"Stop waiting and be free. Of me- put me deep inside you and then go out in the world and live. Love the world and yourself in it, move through it offers no resistance, as though the world is your natural element." -The Time Traveler's Wife

I walked down the hallway to second period, and there you were. You, A guy who looked like my love from camp. I thought this was so surreal. You have his smile, his smile with thin lips but thick on the bottom, the smile where he has wrinkles surrounding it. You have his short hair, but in a reddish tone with a straight, short-cut style. You look like an angel sent down from heaven, a gift that God has given me.

Yes, I’m crazy. I’ve seen this mysterious guy who looks like the guy from camp multiple times, but I can’t stop looking at him! Each day, I stare at him with a passion, a secret passion that I never once had. I know I only see him at least once to three times a day, but he’s good looking. His apparel is different. He often wears Bullet For My Valentine, Slipknot, or Harley Davidson t-shirts. The apparel is meaningless to me, it’s the fact that he looks like my love. It’s also the fact whenever I walk next to him I get so shy because I like him.

It’s been six and a half months into school already. I still don’t know his name. I want to know who he is. The other day at lunch, I was walking and I saw him. I looked at him, and he looked at me. His sparkled blue eyes were attached to mine and mine were to his for seconds. But then, we had to move on. Continue on with our lives like nothing ever happened. Now, after my zero hour class, I get excited because maybe I can see him. Maybe I can get a chance to look at this beauty. Also, when I walk to my math class, there he is. I want to say hi, I want to tell him, the stranger, that he’s good looking- but no. I can’t. Because it’s too random for a shy girl to crush on a guy that I never even talked to and I only tell him with my body language.
Yesterday, I was walking to lunch again. There he was with his friends. They were going to study hall on the right side of the hallway and I usually walk on the right side. We both stood in front of each other and he let me through first. My body was showing that I was very shy, but I wanted to talk to him. Then, like before, I moved on continuously.
My friend was helping me with my books on the way to my health class. I usually see this “mystery guy” walk past me to go to his other class. No, I’m not trying to be stalker-ish. I just can’t help looking at him. I pointed him out to my friend, Alyssa. She told me he lives by her. I asked her what his name might be, and she said that his first letter starts with a J. Jacob? Jason? Jared? So many “J’s” to think of!
Later that afternoon, there was a turnabout pep rally. Towards the end of the rally, I saw him. I saw him right in front of me, across on the other side of the gymnasium sitting on the bleachers. But… I saw him talk to a girl. Why should I be taking this seriously? I don’t even know his name! I kept on looking at him. It was too hard not to look at him. I might be taking this over-the-top, but he’s so cute!! I want to know him so badly, but I don’t know if he wants to know me. But I have to move on like I never even know him.

I’m writing this on the night of the Turnabout dance. No, I didn’t attend. But the questions run into my mind: What if he is there? What if I had a chance? There’s so many answers that I need to know. I want him. I think he’d make me happy. Now I need to realize that life is like a long hallway. You’ll stop to talk with some people. You’ll get tripped or pushed by arrogant people. The most important thing though is you have to keep walking so you don’t create traffic. How does this relate to my current situation? It relates to it because this guy is what I want right now, like a current obsession. And while he’s in this long hallway with me, I have to go to the side and make everything happen. I don’t know when or how I’ll do it, but this long hallway is getting shorter each day.

If he doesn’t take me the way I am, then I’ll just turn to the other hallway.

whatshername GOLD, Carlsbad, California
Very good at first, but I don't understand the last line...