P.S Remember Me Always | Teen Ink

P.S Remember Me Always

By NeverSayNever GOLD, Lumby, Other
NeverSayNever GOLD, Lumby, Other

“Remember?” I ask for what seemed the thousandth time.
“I’m sorry, no” Nate answers, sending my heart into hell. This is pointless; he isn’t ever going to remember me.
“Okay,” I sigh, holding back tears. Once upon a time Nate loved me, until he drove into a tree. That made his memory of the last two years to be erased. Sadly, I met him only a year before the accident, so he doesn’t remember me. Whoever said love conquers all never had to deal with memory loss.

“I’m sorry, really. But it’s all just a blank,” I looked into his chocolate brown eyes. Oh, how I wanted for him to hold me close. A sharp pain ran through my chest just at the thought of lying in his arms. A single tear escaped my eyes, rolling down my cheek onto the ground below.

“I guess this is goodbye then,” I whisper. Pain crossed his features. He may not remember our love, but we somehow managed to become close friends through everything. I was the only one who hadn’t given up on him, but I just couldn’t take it no more.

“Please don’t say that,” He breathed. I watch tears spill over his eyes. I raised my hand and wiped away his liquid pain, and then I leaned in and kissed his cheek. Finally, I walked away from my lost true love.

Will I love again? Maybe. Will I ever love someone as much as Nate? Never.

**********4 years later************

“Nate!” I run across the green grass into his arms.
“Lora,” He whispers in my ear. I could stay in his arms forever. But the tug on my skirt causes me to pull away and crouch down. Two big blue eyes stared back at me, the same colour as my own eyes.

“Melody, I want you to meet Nate.” My daughter of two and a half years reached for my hand. Then I watched as she looked up at the man above her.
“Hwello,” She said. I giggled at how she always pronounced her words with an extra W.
I looked up towards a smiling Nate. I had never told him that I had a child after I left him behind.
“Hi there,” I felt my heart leap when I looked at his wonderful smile. A smile he had once gave me when we had been in love. But that was the past.

“Melody, why don’t you go play while Nate and Mommy talk?” Melody smiled at me, then rushed towards the playground, brown hair flying behind her the whole way. I let out a sigh and headed towards a nearby bench.

“I’ve missed you,” Nate reached for my hand.
“How can you miss something you can’t even remember?” I mutter thinking foolishly that he can’t hear. But then I felt his hand pull away. I turned to see he had placed his face within both hands.

“That’s just the thing,” Nate raised his head and looked intently at me.
“Huh?”
“I called you here for two reasons, Lora. One, I missed you. Two, I think I remeb-
“Don’t,” I whisper, tears filling my eyes.
“Don’t?”
“Please, just don’t. Don’t say it,” Tears began flowing, with no hope of stopping.
“Why?”

“Because I don’t love you anymore.” I breathe. I could hear my heart breaking, but it had to be said.

“I’m sorry,”
“I’m not,” I lied.
“Please don’t leave!” He cried. My heart told me to turn back and run to him. But my brain knew better. I knew he would hurt now, but if I stayed he would be worse later.

“Melody lets go home!” I called to her. She ran over and took my hand. Then she turned back towards Nate. Then she turned back to look at me.
“But mommy, you said daddy was coming with us,” She whined.

“Daddy doesn’t remember.” I lied for hopefully the last time.

*********10 years later************

“Nate Stone?” I ask a tall man standing in the open doorway.
“Yes,” I couldn’t help but gasp.
“Dad!” I ran into his arms. He was surprised, I could tell. I pulled back slightly, tears of both pain and happiness running down my cheeks. “It’s me, Melody!”

“Melody?” He said, shocked.

“Wait, I got something.” I began to search through my backpack. Finally, I found the thick envelope with Nate written across it.

“Here, it’s from mom.” I say while handing him the heavy letter. I watch as he ripped it open, and tears forming in his brown eyes while he read my mother’s heart spilled on a piece of paper.

Dear Nate,

If you are reading this it mean I have passed away. I’m sorry that I never told you I was dying. Soon after Melody was born I was diagnosed with a form of cancer. I was then given four more years to live. So the last time I saw you I promised myself that even if you remembered by then I would leave. I didn’t want you to go through the pain of my death, so I let you believe that I had forgotten our love. Which was a lie; I never have stopped loving you. But I loved you so much that I couldn’t let you suffer such heartbreak. When I die, Melody will be sent away to live with my sister until she is thirteen. Then I will send her out to deliever my letter, and find you. After that the choice is yours, if you wish to keep her. Her father left us before she was even born, but I have said you were always he dad. Please forgive me. I hope that your life will be a good one without me. I’ll always love you.
Your lost love,
Lora
P.S Remember me always

He finally looked up after many minutes of silence.

“When?” He breathed.
“The doctors were off by about a year and a half. She died two months after we came to visit you,”

“You have her eyes,” Nate whispered before embracing Melody, the daughter of his long lost love.

Kayla said...
Amazing! heart breakingly gorgeous. i loved it!

Priya21 BRONZE said...
Priya21 BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia

"Be who YOU want to be, not what people tell you to be." -Me

Amazing! I felt what she felt as I read this. I even teared up!

tina.joanne SILVER, Califon, New Jersey
This is beautiful. Thank you for not being another sappy love story, but for having some happiness in the end...it was written beautifully

bigdreamsbigheart PLATINUM, Ypsilanti, Michigan

\\\"When I stand before god I want to have no talent left so I can say,\\\"I used everything you gave me\\\"\\\"

This is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. I swear I felt like i was the one who was letting go of the guy.  Way too put us in her shoes! I write a lot of romantic poetry/stories and this is one of the best I've ever read. GOOD JOB!

Heather3728 GOLD, Mastic, New York
This was very good. I really enjoyed reading this. Keep writing =)

vikesfan28 GOLD, Genoa, Nevada

I'm still a geek on the inside, that's the important thing.

-Wierd Al Yankovic

I don't know why, but this piece just isn't very satisfying.  maybe there's not enough details, or maybe it rushes into the climax way too fast.  The beginning seems rather cliche, and reminds me of the movie 50 First Dates.  That's not a bad thing, but there's definitely room for improvement.  :)

OfficialApprover PLATINUM, Orefield, Pennsylvania

Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
We cannot change the cards we're dealt just how we play the hand
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted
It's pretty easy to be smart when you're parroting smart people
-Randy Pausch

GREAT job!  Very heartfelt!  Keep writing!

Btw, anyone who sees this, will you please check out and comment on my work?

Jojomhs2010 BRONZE, Camby, In, Indiana

"Goodness Gracious" -Joanna S.
"Whats Happening Hot Stuff" 16 Candles

WOW, that was very good.

Syarra_Greenwood BRONZE, Andover, Ohio

Smile, happy looks good on you!!! ( :

omg!!! that made me want to cry and thats rlly rare for me.  plz keep writing i want to see wat u come up with next. maybe u could take a look at my work (:

CanYouSeeTheCrazy PLATINUM, Cle Elum, Washington

"I know why everyone in this world is so desperate to find love."
"Oh yeah? Why then?"
"Because, it's the closest thing we have to magic."

whoa. i feel like i was inside the story, as each of the characters living the moment you were describing. i felt the father's pain, the mother's regret, and the daughter's happiness in the end. great work!

Kat2292 BRONZE said...
Kat2292 BRONZE, Canfield, Ohio

"If at first you don't succeed, call it version 1.0." ~Mark
"Life's like a novel with the end ripped out." ~Rascal Flatts

Wow... It's absolutely beautiful! Keep up the amazing work. Could you take a look at my work?

Riley141 GOLD said...
Riley141 GOLD, Yale, Michigan

" Always do right. This will gratifiy some people and astonish the rest." Mark Twain

whooo! Ahmazing!

LiveLife2theMax GOLD, Wicklow, Other

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.
-Robert Frost

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.
-Kurt Cobain

wow, this is just.. its really amazin.

i'm crying :( this is such a sad and beautiful story.

well done, its awesome :)

sancia BRONZE said...
on Apr. 12 2010 at 1:45 am
sancia BRONZE, Trivandrum, Other

i love u, u love me, we love each other.....:)

u made tears come from my eyes........thank u fro leetin my pain go as my tears.........

on Apr. 7 2010 at 6:08 am
thelittleappler, Singapore, Other

Love is like magic, but sometimes magic is just an illusion. ♥ I'd be lying if I told you losing you was something I could handle.

ohmygosh this is so beautiful! great job:)

dani09 BRONZE said...
dani09 BRONZE, Winchester, Missouri

A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart, and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words

as i write this comment, tears are spilling out of my eyes...that was one of the best stories i have every read.  it wasn't too long, and it wasn't too short. i loved it!

on Mar. 30 2010 at 10:05 am
jennee21_ann GOLD, Helper, Utah

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul....wisdom is better than silver or gold."

"You can always close a book, but you can never close the mind of a writer."

oh my. im speechless. this is very incredible. i like how the story follows the timeline and how you show the pain and hurt through both lora and nate's eyes. its creative :) the ending is so sad, but i LOVE the last line. it sort of ties it all together and finishes it off :) would you mind checking out my piece "take my heart and break it"? id love your opinoin on that. thanks :) and keep writing!!

Green8a8 SILVER, NY, New York

im the author of my life, unfortunately im writing in pen therefore i can't erase nothing about it.-by some crazy friend of mine

beautiful beatiful a million gisillion times

i almost started crying

kpayy5 PLATINUM, Nantucket, Massachusetts
This is absolutely beautiful :)

Breathtaking, wonderful, & astounding !

on Mar. 20 2010 at 3:14 am
xoxoLissieM SILVER, Manila, Other

"Stop acting dumb cause your usually the smart one and I'm the dumb one!"

i luv it really!! its soooo tear-jerking!!!