Red Beaches | Teen Ink

Red Beaches

By mikaylawilliams BRONZE, Pasadena, Texas
mikaylawilliams BRONZE, Pasadena, Texas

Alexia Wilson is a typical 17 year old girl, too focused on her love life to pull herself into the reality of the world. She’s been with more guys than you can count on one hand. It isn’t due to bad intentions, but rather due to the lack of emotion that is felt towards these men. All of her friends describe this extravagant spark that is felt in their relationships, but she never felt it in any of hers. Her best friend, Dominique, is a polar opposite when it comes to relationships. She has been in a fully committed relationship for over 3 years now. She tells Alexia every detail of her relationship with her boyfriend Micheal. Alexia hates when she does that, it brings a disgusting feeling to her insides. She feels envious of Micheal, although she is unsure why because by typical thought, she should be jealous of Dominique…right? 

The two girls decided to go on their annual school field trip to the beach.They arrived after an exhausting 45 minute drive. Except it wasn't 45 minutes, the traffic was so heavy that they were unable to push through it. It was a magical sight to see once they arrived , the bright blue water glistened, stealing the light from the radiant sun just rising.  Everything seemed so unrealistic as if it was from a movie. While Alexia was admiring the seaside, Dominique had changed into her bathing suit. She walked out, her feet touching the grainy sand and Alexia couldn’t help but turn her head and stare. All of the sparks that she could never feel towards young men came to surface with Dominique. Instead of thinking about the blue water and sand, she could only think of Dominique's blue eyes and dirty-blonde hair. She walked towards Alexia, her hair bouncing on her shoulders as she walked, and asked if she wanted to go inside the beach house and get a drink.

The thought of being all alone with Dominique terrified her, yet she followed her inside. She had this specific pull on Alexia that intrigued her and made her want to know more. Alexia began to turn red once they were all alone, Dominique noticed and turned to ask if she was ok. Her nerves were eating away at her and she was unable to respond. All she could respond with was a hug, which caused a ginormous amount of tension. They made an attempt of going onto the beach to distract themselves from the situation, but after being friends for so long, how could Dominique not notice there was something seriously wrong. She pulled Alexia away behind an antiquated tree that had a hammock on it, they sat down to sort things out and figure out their emotions. Alexia gave into the pressure automatically, she told Dominique that she has feelings for her. Dominique admittedly told her the same, but she was unsure as to how she would tell her boyfriend Micheal now that the truth was out. All he ever wanted was for her to be the happiest girl on the planet. He treated her better than anyone would ever be able to treat her, but she didn’t want him like he wanted her. They had an amazing bond, but Dominique didn’t want a romantic relationship with him. Alexia on the other hand was absolutely terrified of confronting her parents and family about her newly found love life. They have raised her very strictly on the belief that women must like men, and men must like women. She had never questioned this moral that her parents taught, but now she was questioning every detail of it.

She doesn’t understand how she could feel this way if it was so wrong. All of this felt so morally wrong, and there were so many obstacles, but it’s all they wanted at this moment. They had begun openly talking with each other and decided they couldn't just forget about their feelings. It would be completely impossible to just throw away all of the built up emotions from over the years. They didn’t want to go back to the rest of the kids, they just wanted to be alone and spend quality time with each other. They began watching their favorite show, Grey’s Anatomy, and they realized this was meant to be. Alexia was clinging onto Dominique, unable to satisfy the feeling inside of her. She thought all of the tension would be gone after she confessed, but now the feeling built up has built up even more. 

All of her emotions developed into a rage, causing her to want to explode. She loves Dominique more than anyone she has ever met, yet she is the one person she feels angry with. She doesn’t know why she feels angry as Dominique has done nothing wrong but she can’t shake the feeling. Dominique starts to cramp up from sitting for so long and proceeds to ask if they can go walk around for a minute to walk out the cramps. Alexia goes along with her and takes her in the direction opposing where everybody else is. It is a very woody area, the trees are a mile high. Alexia could only come up with one more clandestine solution, even though it was a bad idea it seemed like her best option. Suddenly, she remembered the razor blade she had found in her dad’s work area. She had stolen it and placed it in her pocket in case of any bizarre emergencies. Turns out she could put the tiny weapon to use. She called Dominique over and pulled her in for a kiss.Using the ascendancy she had over Dominique, she pulled out the razor blade and sliced Dominique’s throat across her fair skin. Dominique fell to the ground, her vibrant red blood filling the sand, almost as if food dye was poured all over the beach. Alexia loved her so much, she couldn't have her around anymore. She was now extricated from the love life she simply could not have.