My Darling Edith | Teen Ink

My Darling Edith

August 19, 2023
By Haley-12 BRONZE, Plymouth, Massachusetts
Haley-12 BRONZE, Plymouth, Massachusetts
3 articles 2 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde


It is bound to happen.

To everything. Every human, animal, plant and tree. It is bound to happen. To the stars, Earth, the sun and the moon. Death is bound to happen.

I remember my death. I was in a hospital bed, tubes as thin as thread piercing into my wrist, an air mask strapped to my mouth and a sharp pain in my head. I remember hearing a voice filled with sobs. That someone's shaking hand was holding mine. I looked up and saw something extraordinary… 

The star filled night.

It was as if a portal opened in the ceiling revealing scene. It was a sky, black as coal, and stars imitating fire-flies. 

 I wanted to go into the night. I wanted to leave behind all this pain and misery and be comfortable and snug with the stars. 

I reached my hand out, and my pain went away. I could suddenly get up just like I used to when I was healthy. I was standing up now on my bed looking to see who was holding my hand. 

I recognized the woman, even through her red eyes and sobs. Yet, I did not know who she was, I only remembered her name… Edith. 

Edith was old and frail, with deep wrinkles throughout her entire body (my body in the bed did also, only more pale). She had short white hair and wore thick, round glasses… 

I do not know why I felt so strongly for Edith or why I wanted to be with her. 

I thought the pain went away, why was it coming back?

I wanted to go to the night, but Edith was right there. She was sad and tired. 

My desire to go into the night was over run by the feeling I had for Edith. 

Wanting to be with her, I reached for her trying to grip onto her, to give her a hug and to tell her everything will be OK, but something held me back. It felt as if an invisible force pulled me back from reaching Edith.

I knew now there was no choice. I had to go to the star filled night and leave Edith behind.

I wondered.. Why do tears burn my eyes? 

I looked at Edith and said, “I love you.”

Then, I jumped so high into the night my face felt as if it had melted; stars like lightning bolts flash at the corner of my eyes. 

I started to see things as I zoomed through the sky: Young Edith and I bumping into each other in the street, us talking over lunch, Edith kissing me on the cheek and walking away, and both of us eating at a picnic. I then saw me proposing to Edith, us kissing on our wedding day and Edith holding our daughter in the hospital as I kissed her on the cheek. I saw our daughter Abigail taking her first steps, I saw her as a 8 yr old hugging me close, as a teenager being lifted up by her teammates after winning the game, as a graduate earning her diploma, as a bride, and as a mother. Finally, I saw old Edith and I staring into the star-filled night on a quilted blanket. 

 

I understood why I felt this way about Edith…

It was because she was my darling Edith.


I saw a white light in the distance; it became bigger  as I got closer..

I was at the white light and closed my eyes. 


I love you my darling Edith.


The author's comments:

I loved making this piece! I deeply believe this is one of my best ones yet. Tips and advice it appreciated!