The Right Choice | Teen Ink

The Right Choice

By milgra37 PLATINUM, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
milgra37 PLATINUM, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

A man broke up with a woman. He was sad and heartbroken that she decided to leave him. She deleted his phone number and cut him off entirely. He found himself wondering what would he change if he went back in time. He shrugged the thought off. How crazy is that? Time travel? He must be tired. He reaches for his coat. He needs to take a walk to clear his head.

Once he is on the road, he spots a homeless woman She gives him a toothy grin, happy to see another person. The man smiles back. He reaches into his wallet before pulling out a twenty dollar bill. She thanks him. Before he leaves, she leaves him with a suggestion.

“Young man, what you seek is under your pillow. Look under there tonight and what you wish will come true,” With that, the woman walks away, whistling. The man is surprised, but rushes back home.

He lifts up his pillow and almost jumps in surprise. There is a green stone with lime light emitting from it. He picks it up when suddenly he feels dizzy. He is still in his apartment, but something seems off. He thought he got rid of that table months ago. From his pocket, his phone buzzes. He lifts it up, and in shock it’s the woman. She asks for him to meet him at the local cafe. The cafe… that’s where she broke up with him. Wait… is this time travel? In surprise, he runs out the door to her house.

She is standing in front of a mirror. Her dress is the same one she wore when they broke up. Is that… today? The man checks his phone. It is the day. He really time travelled. He turns his attention back to her window. She’s speaking.

“You can do this. You just need to let him know the truth. He needs to know how hard it is to keep this relationship going,” She says, her voice trembling. A tear slips out of her eye, but she wipes it away quickly. “It will be over soon and you can be free.”

The man sits there in shock. Their relationship was causing her pain? He didn’t know. He backs away from the window, placing his hands in his pockets. In one was his phone, but in the other was the stone. He glances at her one more time. She is grabbing her purse, getting ready to leave. He smiles before squeezing the stone.

Back in the present, he returns to the corner where he met the homeless woman. She is there and she smiles at him once again.

“Thank you, but I have no use for the stone,” He smiles, handing it back to her.

“Why not?” She questions.

“She doesn’t need me. I know that now. So, thank you for giving me some closure.” He explains.

“Hm, you are a wise boy.” She gets up, clutching the stone in her palm. She gives him one last look before she disappears, leaving the boy with a feeling of fulfillment and the knowledge that he made the right choice.