The Summer Girl | Teen Ink

The Summer Girl

By Brigid Choi SILVER, Decatur, Georgia
Brigid Choi SILVER, Decatur, Georgia

It seemed Aliya was floating, not walking, away into the tall grass. Her white dress waved in the light breeze. It was hot outside, and I was glad Aliya wore her straw sun hat to protect her pretty face and her charming smile.

It was spring, and we had decided to leave for a trip to the countryside. It was strangely quiet here, much unlike the city with its loud boisterousness. How annoying and earsplitting it became!

I paused at a breeze that passed by. How long had Aliya and I been together? A couple years, at most. Ever since I met Aliya, I knew I had met the most beautiful woman in the world. Physically, yes, of course, with her bright eyes, her red lips, and the way her every move was a delicate one; but there was something beautiful within her as well.

Aliya found happiness in the simplest things. She could make the most stoic souls smile. And whenever I accidentally messed up, Aliya shushed my thousands of apologies and just held me close.

For years I have tried to find a rule, some kind of rubric to Beauty. I think I have found it after meeting Aliya.

I climbed down the steps of the white porch, ran up to Aliya, and pulled her into a deep kiss. Aliya gave a whimper of surprise and pulled away.

“Hi!” she exclaimed, “What was that for?”

“One may not talk to a truly beautiful woman, for her beauty strips one bare of all words which may be used,” I explained. I leaned in close and whispered, “Instead, one may only kiss her.”

Aliya’s eyes softened and a small smile bloomed on her face. “Oh, love. Then I’ll shut up, too.”

She wrapped her arms around my neck and kissed me.

Jaquie BRONZE said...
Jaquie BRONZE, West Palm Beach, Florida

This is certainly one of my favorites: "I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes." -2 Samuel 6:22

This is so sweet! I love it. Esspecialy the last paragraph. The words you used made it so... Gorgeous! I love it. Keep up the good work.

God bless,

...,