The Summer Girl | Teen Ink

The Summer Girl

April 25, 2009
By Brigid Choi SILVER, Decatur, Georgia
Brigid Choi SILVER, Decatur, Georgia
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It seemed Aliya was floating, not walking, away into the tall grass. Her white dress waved in the light breeze. It was hot outside, and I was glad Aliya wore her straw sun hat to protect her pretty face and her charming smile.


It was spring, and we had decided to leave for a trip to the countryside. It was strangely quiet here, much unlike the city with its loud boisterousness. How annoying and earsplitting it became!


I paused at a breeze that passed by. How long had Aliya and I been together? A couple years, at most. Ever since I met Aliya, I knew I had met the most beautiful woman in the world. Physically, yes, of course, with her bright eyes, her red lips, and the way her every move was a delicate one; but there was something beautiful within her as well.


Aliya found happiness in the simplest things. She could make the most stoic souls smile. And whenever I accidentally messed up, Aliya shushed my thousands of apologies and just held me close.


For years I have tried to find a rule, some kind of rubric to Beauty. I think I have found it after meeting Aliya.


I climbed down the steps of the white porch, ran up to Aliya, and pulled her into a deep kiss. Aliya gave a whimper of surprise and pulled away.


“Hi!” she exclaimed, “What was that for?”


“One may not talk to a truly beautiful woman, for her beauty strips one bare of all words which may be used,” I explained. I leaned in close and whispered, “Instead, one may only kiss her.”


Aliya’s eyes softened and a small smile bloomed on her face. “Oh, love. Then I’ll shut up, too.”


She wrapped her arms around my neck and kissed me.