Searching For Hobbes | Teen Ink

Searching For Hobbes

By MrOConnorFan1 SILVER, Danville, California
MrOConnorFan1 SILVER, Danville, California

"Mr. O'Connor is the best teacher I've ever had." - Everyone.

June 2nd, 1820

Dear Marie,

Today I finally got a job! Billy was working in this factory and he told me about it and I went in and they had just fired boy and had an available spot. Billy and I miss you so much! We can’t wait to see you this fall. There’s this cool thing called a “t ra i n” and you can probably take it into town. It’s very rare to get a job at the factory because it is packed with young kids. I feel so bad for them though because they are wearing old ripped up clothes. Do you think my clothes will be like that after a few weeks of working their? I really hope it doesn’t! I know my clothes aren’t nice, but at least there are no holes in them. Anyways, I’m rambling but I’ll let you know how it goes tomorrow. Goodnight.

June 3rd, 1820

Dear Marie,

Today I met a guy named John Locke. He seems to think men don’t have enough power and that women have to much. He even had the nerve to walk up to me and say “Are you sure you want to work here, only men can handle this job.” He even continued on to say “don’t you have kids at home that need taking care of.” ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! I get that a lot of men work here, but if boys can do it, so can I. I’ll write to you in a few weeks and tell you how the job is going and if things have gotten any better with this John guy. Love you lots!!!

June 25th, 1820

Dear Marie,

Marie i’m so sorry I haven’t written to you for a while. The job has been so busy and the people there are so mean. The man that runs the factory has been giving me more work I think it's because I am a woman. Speaking of people, John is as insensitive as ever. However, I met a very nice man named Thomas Hobbes. He overheard an argument between John and I when John mentioned how I STILL shouldn't be working their. I like Hobbes though, he’s nice. He helped defend me and even is for women's rights. I still can’t stop thinking about how helpful Hobbes was when he said “you belong here and you definitely belong here.” I could use a friend like that, he reminds me a lot about you. Hobbes seems to be the only man in the place that isn’t against me working here. I’m starting to run out of clothes, maybe the manager will let me have some extra… I hope I don’t get into any trouble.

June 27th, 1820

Hi Marie,

I got into some trouble at the factory after I tried to ask my boss for some clothes. All I did was ask for the scraps! I can’t believe he got so mad over my simple question. I bet he gave his friends as many clothes as they wanted because unlike me...they are guys. And you know what else happened!!! Locke came up to me afterwards and said “Let’s see how long you last after saying that to the Boss.” It ended up being an okay day though because later that night when I was leaving Hobbes brought me some cloths and gave John a dirty look. He even walked me home because he wanted to make sure John wasn’t going to do anything. But I think he wanted to get to know me, and knew I was pretty tired from my long shift. Marie... I think I like him.

July 3rd, 1820

Dear Marie,

GUESS WHAT!! I came home and wrote you this letter the minute after it happened. So basically today John and Hobbes got into a fight over me. I’m not really sure what exactly happened, but I know that Hobbes stood up for me. I overheard John say “I can’t believe you like someone that is so against our rights as men. We grew up together don’t you know we are better than females.” I had no idea that Hobbes and John grew up together, I just thought they worked together. I was also shocked when John mentioned Hobbes liking someone. At first I thought he was talking about another girl, even though not a lot of girls work here. However, it all changed when John said “Jillian isn’t even worth it.” At that moment I was so shocked that I was the one Hobbes liked, that I completely missed Hobbes punch John. I still can’t believe he likes me! Do you think Hobbes really has feelings for me?

September 27te, 1820

Marie!!!

I’m sorry it’s been so long since we last talked, but Hobbes and I are so happy. Since my last letter i confronted Hobbes about what i overheard and he told me everything. John is a very biased man and sticks to his morrow's but it turns out he liked me too. Hobbes thought this was unfair seeing as how he was so mean to me and stuck to his beliefs against women. Hobbes thought John was going to disrespect me as a women and he too liked me and wanted me to be with him rather than Hobbes. When Hobbes told me this I swear I think I had a heart attack. Not only did I learn that the man that has been mean to me for the last couple of months has feelings for me, but also the guy I like felt the same way. Hobbes was like a knight in shining armor. He cared about me, protected me, and even punched John for me! I’m so happy with him and I can’t wait to see what the future brings. Can’t wait till I see you over the Fall, I’m so excited for you to meet him. I think i’m in love.

So I'm really lonely, so I wrote this fan-fic with me shacking up Thomas Hobbes. He's just so handsome and romantic. Something about dead historic Enlightenment philosophers really turns me on. I just couldn't pick between Locke and Hobbes so I wanted them to fight over me. Chapter 2 will be about them fighting to the death for me. I'll keep you guys updated.