Dollhouse | Teen Ink

Dollhouse

April 2, 2014
By sydneyvm BRONZE, Bangor, Maine
sydneyvm BRONZE, Bangor, Maine
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
The short words are best, and the old words are the best of all. Winston Churchill


The peach hues of the dollhouse glistened under the light of the open window. The curtains billowed, and the little doll lay on the floor, her dress new and vibrant. The walls were open, and each doll had its place. Mommy was washing dishes. Brother was watching television. Daddy was reading the news. One could guess that the sister doll belonged in her bedroom, but had been played with recently and hadn’t been returned. Other than that, all was right. Everything was perfect.
Faint shouts came from below, and little footsteps padded up the stairs. The door opened and shut, and the girl sat back against the door, as if her weight would keep it shut. As if her efforts would keep everything out. She sighed, a deep breath of relief. She closed her eyes and let the cool breeze wash over her, calming her nerves and easing her mind. She opened her eyes and scanned the room, searching for a distraction.
As her dull blue eyes fell upon the dollhouse, they lit up. This light came every time she came home and got to play. She jumped up and scurried over to the toy. As she opened it up and let herself smile widely, she made sure that everything was in its place. She wanted the little family to live there happily; where everything was perfect. A picture perfect scene, where mommy and daddy were in love and the brother and sister got along. She saw everything as it should be.
She pulled the little sister doll up, off of the floor, and caressed it, stroking its strawberry blonde hair and admiring it. She then set the doll back down beside her and grabbed at the others. She organized them properly, placing them in the living room, in their order that the girl liked especially. The father, brother, sister, and mother stood together. They were happy. They were like every family should be. The dollhouse was everything the girl imagined it to be, and more. She almost felt part of the family; she always took care to make them so orderly and picturesque.
Heavy, clumsy footsteps shook the girl from her fantasy, and her troubled eyes turned to the door as it dilated. Her brother’s words were slurred and airy, and his eyes didn’t seem to look at her, but through her. She simply nodded once as he spoke, not fully understanding what he said. Something about dinner being delayed, probably. He snickered a few times, not fully closing the door as he left. She heard him go into his room and turn up his music again. A strange smell lingered, but she paid no mind to it. She turned away and continued playing. She hummed a little tune to herself.
After a few hours of play, she heard her mother call up to her from the kitchen. She obliged immediately, very hungry and eager to rejoin her family. As she reached the table, she grinned up at her mother.
“Mommy, is Daddy home for dinner?” She asked innocently.
Her mother’s eyes flashed with remembrance, and her smile faded for a split second, before returning to their cheerful glow.
“No, sweetie. Daddy is out right now. He should be home soon, though!” She replied, turning away to fix her daughter’s plate.
The girl’s demeanor fell, but she skittered over to the other side of her mother.
“D’you want me to go get Aussie for dinner?” She asked, desperate to be of some use.
“Alright, just be back down soon, before your plate gets cold. Also, would you ask him if he knows where the eye drops went?” Her mother asked, but didn’t pay too much mind to what her daughter was doing. By the time the girl heard her mother’s words, she was already at the stairs.
She skipped up to her brother’s door, and coughed a bit on the strong smell that permeated the landing.
“Aussie! Dinner’s ready! Mommy wants us downstairs!” She called over the blaring rock music. There was no response. She knocked hard, and tried the door knob, but it was locked. She continued this repetition of irritating movements until the music paused, and her brother opened the door.
“Aussie, what’s wrong with your eyes?” She asked, staring straight into his bloodshot orbs. He stared hazily down at her, before his eyes widened in realization and he closed his door.
“Damn it… I’ll be right out! And how many times have I told you not to call me that?! My name is Austin, not ‘Aussie’ or whatever.” He shouted through the door. The girl sighed, before walking back towards the stairs. Momentarily, her brother returned, and tapped her on the shoulder. As she turned, she realized his eyes were back to their normal blue hue.
“Hey, Lucy. You’re not going to mention anything weird to Mom, right?” He knelt down to her level, leering at her. His eyes were no longer bloodshot, but something was still different. The scent of his obnoxious new body spray was extremely strong, and the girl scooted herself away from him a bit. She looked down at the floor and nodded.
Her brother chuckled a bit, before picking her up and carrying her downstairs (to her distaste).
“Okay, mom. We’re ready for dinner!” He called over to their mother, who was sitting at the table, staring absentmindedly out the window. She turned her head to her children, and smiled.
“Good. It’s a bit cool, but you’ll survive.” She joked, handing each child his/her plate. Each family member cringed as headlights shone in through the window, and as a car horn beeped.
“Daddy’s home!” The girl cheered, running over to the door to look for her father. Her brother looked at their mother, who simply glanced at the door before bringing the plates into the living room.
“Come on kids, let’s sit down for a movie. Daddy can come watch when he gets in.” She called out to her distracted children. They returned to her, and the movie began. It was a good five minutes before the father entered in the door, removing his coat and saying nothing until he had sat down on the sofa next to his family.
“Honey, welcome home. Don’t you want some dinner?” Mother asked, gesturing towards the kitchen. He shook his head, simply leaning back and crossing his legs to watch the film. She sighed, but let the subject lie untouched.
The girl turned her head to look at both parents. She saw her mother stare at a strange pink mark on her father’s neck, before turning away, her eyes sparkly and wet. Her father seemed dazed and aloof.
“Daddy, what kept you so late?”
“Sweetie, I’m sure Daddy just had to work late. Isn’t that right, Eric?” Their mother looked over at the father, and he nodded, before returning his focus to the screen. The girl sighed in discontent, but yet another subject lie untouched.
Later that night, the movie was over. The brother was in his room, his music playing softer than earlier, but still loud enough to be heard. The father went upstairs to the parents room, and seemed to be on the phone. The mother stayed downstairs to clean up after dinner, and sent the girl upstairs to bed. As the little girl reached her room, she realized she’d forgotten something. She’d forgotten to get a kiss goodnight! ‘Silly me!’, she chastised herself. She turned on her foot and went back downstairs.
She stopped, abruptly, however. She heard a faint sound, that she couldn’t quite place. She peered around the door frame, and saw her mother lying on the couch, face down. The little girl giggled.
“Mommy, it’s not bed time for you yet! I haven’t even said good night!” She whispered playfully, tiptoeing over to her mother. She tripped on something, however, and fell to the floor. She groaned, but pushed herself back up. She was fine. She turned around and picked up a small silver bottle, with a long neck and an open top. The cap lay across the floor, rolled under the couch. The girl reached under to grab it, and screw it on top. She peered over at her mother, and poked her slightly. She was breathing.
“Mommy? Are you sleepy?” She asked, a bit confused.
Nevertheless, she set the little bottle down next to her mother, and headed back upstairs. She yawned, tired. She went into her room, but before she could go to bed, she remembered she hadn’t put away her toys. She knew she had to do that before going to sleep. She smiled, thinking of perhaps playing with them for a bit longer.
As the little girl approached her dollhouse, her eyes widened, and her smile fell. Her dolls were out of order again. The father was out of the house. The mother was asleep on the sofa. The brother was punching the wall. The sister was staring straight ahead, sitting on the edge of the house. ‘Oh, no...’, the little girl thought. She pouted and silent tears began to fall. Her family… it was broken, and upset. Now she had to rebuild it… she had to make it perfect, all over again. And no one would ever know.